The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf - Newsletter

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CD Projekt has whipped up a newsletter for Rise of the White Wolf, again emphasing this is a built-from-scratch title and not just a port. That said, they've got this to say to PC fans:
Before you PC die-hards throw up your hands in revolt… please remember that RED is still working on two unannounced games. For now, give Rise of the White Wolf a second look, even if you’re not a console gamer. We’re not into dumbing things down in future PC releases… as an example, we’re not even dumbing things down for a console release. We think that all gamers – regardless of platform loyalty – want deep story-driven games, and we’re delivering what we think is the deepest console RPG yet.
More information.

If consoles are getting the same game we got for PC, then I have to take issue with the title. "Rise of the White Wolf" makes the game sound like it's about an origin story, or that Geralt isn't famous until after playing through the events in the game. This is in direct contrast with the atmosphere of the game, which presents Geralt as already being a legend in his own time.

They said they aren't dumbing anything down for the console version, but to me the title alone says "dumbed down." - It implies that console gamers have never heard of the white wolf and that he's a new character. The PC version was never marketed that way. The game almost assumes that the player is already a fan, and Geralt 'rose' a long time ago - you're just privileged to step into his shoes for a while.

Well, I think it sound fun to "raise to fame", Im sure not going to buy it, if its the same story as the PC, allready got a normal and a EE version of that.

Technically Geralt was supposed to be dead and he did rise again, but whatever it's just a title.

You must of been reading different ads or interviews than I was when CDP marketed The Witcher. I had only a general idea about who and what Geralt was. All I remember from the marketing of the game was that your choices in the game changed the whole game. I seem to recall they heavily advertised that feature of the game. That and the hell they took in the press for it being developed on the NWN 1 engine.

Because of the title my first thought was there was a 'new' Witcher game that was going to be console only! :eek:
But it's in fact the same story so pc users aren't missing out on anything. Sounds like they're tailoring the game nicely for the console users too.
Quite unusual that the game came out on pc first and was then ported to the consoles, what a refreshing way of doing things.
Good luck to them, these guys are fast becoming my favourite studio.
Looking forward to whatever it is they have in the works.

They're totally remaking this one, instead of just porting the engine? Strange and interesting. Are they going to reuse the assets or do they really mean "pixel for pixel"? Anyway, this is great, since the PC game didn't run all that well on my PC and I like lying on a couch with a gamepad.

That's interesting, because I could run TW on a PC more than six years outdated. With details turned far down, and with low FPS at certain points, but it was playable. With a fairly new rig, not even state-of-the-art (well, it might've been state-of-the-art two years ago), it ran like a dream with everything turned to max. What's your PC like?

For now, give Rise of the White Wolf a second look, even if you’re not a console gamer.

Huh ? Why should I ?

I've never had a console and don't plan for now to buy one ...

I can only hope they'll port it one day ...

"Rise of the wolf" sounds like a typical levelling threadmill where you kill lot of stuff to become more and more powerful. Very popular theme allthough totally unoriginal.

Technically Geralt was supposed to be dead and he did rise again, but whatever it's just a title.

You must of been reading different ads or interviews than I was when CDP marketed The Witcher. I had only a general idea about who and what Geralt was. All I remember from the marketing of the game was that your choices in the game changed the whole game. I seem to recall they heavily advertised that feature of the game. That and the hell they took in the press for it being developed on the NWN 1 engine.

Yeah, I thought of the whole resurrection thing, but still I don't think the name eludes to that. I mean, if it was, wouldn't it be more fitting to call it "Return of the White Wolf?"

I too was not familiar with the character or stories before the game, but what I meant by the marketing style was that they kept saying "This is a famous character.... he's always been around... Now we introduce him to everyone else..." And again, the game treated you the same way - eluding to past experiences that you have no recollection of, people knowing Geralt before he introduces himself, etc... - It's for those reasons that "Rise of the White Wolf" just doesn't sound right to me. But hey, it's just a title, it's not a big deal, just making an observation.

That's interesting, because I could run TW on a PC more than six years outdated. With details turned far down, and with low FPS at certain points, but it was playable. With a fairly new rig, not even state-of-the-art (well, it might've been state-of-the-art two years ago), it ran like a dream with everything turned to max. What's your PC like?

My PC's about four years old, I think. It's not extremely bad (AMD Athlon 64 3500+, nVidia 6800GT, 1GB at the time), but I had to turn down most of the graphics. I don't like doing that at all, but the worst part was indeed some horrible frame-rate drops at certain parts. By no means was The Witcher unplayable; it just didn't feel comfortable enough for my taste.

The RAM was probably part of the problem. I've been surprised time and again what a difference a RAM upgrade can make (or a videocard upgrade, for that matter, but that's neither here nor there). Come to think of it, my old rig did get a card upgrade, which likely helped.

The problem with the game was know, and is because the engine dont support dual or quad core, just 1 core, thats why ppl complain that they can run any unreal engine based game all nice with awesome graphics and the witcher got problems on places like in the 3rd chapter where you go inside on citys with lot of ppl.
________
Chrysler Centura

Last edited:
I have never had a problem with the game and I have everything on max. My specs are athlon X2 3800+, Geforce 7800GT, 2gb ram.

Yeah, I thought of the whole resurrection thing, but still I don't think the name eludes to that. I mean, if it was, wouldn't it be more fitting to call it "Return of the White Wolf?"

Actually, the original Polish title is "Powrót Białego Wilka", which does mean "Return of the White Wolf". I don't know why they changed in translation.

# Jabberwocky. A batman game is still a batman game, even if it set duing the begging or later in the story. The Last Whish book was set before he got fameus, while The Sagas and the game he was known. I dont see any problem that placeing the event of the game around Last Whish time line.

About how the game ran, i got som problems then i 1st came out (3th act - tade distrect and then alot of flames) whit frame drops, but those was fix then version 1.3 came out. Use 2.4 Duo/4G ram/GF GTX 8800/Vindows Vista.

@ Phonix: The devs stated that the game takes place after the last story in the last book, so that means it can't take place around the Last Wish time line.

I too was not familiar with the character or stories before the game, but what I meant by the marketing style was that they kept saying "This is a famous character.... he's always been around... Now we introduce him to everyone else..." And again, the game treated you the same way - eluding to past experiences that you have no recollection of, people knowing Geralt before he introduces himself, etc... - It's for those reasons that "Rise of the White Wolf" just doesn't sound right to me. But hey, it's just a title, it's not a big deal, just making an observation.

I see your point. Return of the White Wolf does have a better ring to it than rise.

I liked the way they did the usual "amnesia" gimick to help Geralt (and you) find out bits and pieces about his past. Now that you mention it I do seem to remember they did a lot of the "Introducing the famous character to the rest of the world" marketing. I latched onto choices have real consequences part of the advertising and had forgotten about the rest. Truth be told I didn't really even pay attention to anything else once they said NWN 1 Engine and choices and consequences. I was sold on the game once I heard that. DIdn't really care about who Geralt was, I just wanted to see how I could change how the story unfolded.

I think your right, though, rise is a bit of a stretch and sounds odd when you put it into context with the game.

Back
Top Bottom