Darkest Dungeon - Kickstarter Now Live

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Red Hook Studios has launched their kickstarter for Darkest Dungeon.

Uncompromising, unforgiving, and unconventional, we present a fresh take on the dungeon crawler that elevates the importance of sound tactics and a character's mental state over their gear.

You will recruit, train, and lead a team of flawed heroes through twisted forests, forgotten warrens, ruined crypts and beyond. You'll battle not only unimaginable foes, but stress, famine, disease, and the ever-encroaching dark. Uncover strange mysteries, and pit the heroes against an array of fearsome monsters with an innovative strategic turn-based combat system.

You will have to tend to characters’ spirits as much as you do to their Hit Points. But in these grim situations, you'll find opportunities for true heroism!

Darkest Dungeon is not a game where every hero wins the day with shiny armor and a smile. It is a game about hard trade-offs, nearly certain demise, and heroic reversals.

Do you have what it takes to survive in the forgotten corners of the Darkest Dungeon?
More information.

I have to say I am pretty partial to that art direction… and Cthulhu… and TB combat… So I threw a minimum pledge their way ;)

No time to read( or more than skim over) the rest of the info now but a peek showed some interesting concepts/features too… (may consider giving a bit more later if this looks like a really cool project)

I don't like roguelikes much, but this game intrigued me with its unique graphical style and horror theme.

Yeah the art style is great. The game looks interesting. I wish they'd used the kickstarter video to explain the project though. The trailer is nice and all, but I'd like to hear the devs selling the project.

Roguelike? I'm skipping it…

Wait just a minute. Isn't Kickstarter a platform to give a push to non-cloned stuff big players don't want to hear about?
That art style, even if the game sucks in the end, means only one thing.
Instapledge from me.

Meh, another rougelike, but the art style and camping is nice, plus they have a narrator and a great skill to create atmosphere.

Plus the attacks are surprisingly energetic.

At first glance (I haven't read it in detail yet) it does look interesting to me and I especially like the art style and theme.

But they state that at this point it is still a Steam exclusive so I won't pledge anything unless a DRM-free version is confirmed.

Yes, the art style is unique, and interesting, but it's the unconventional psychological elements that are a huge draw for me. I really hope this makes goals through 200K, at least!

Yup, good looking. And not overambitious for a small developer.

Actually now that I've read the info it seems quite a bit more involved than the rather simplistic (and rather sparse on variety but still quite fun, for a while) FTL.

I love the party management/camping/affliction features and the developing town concept. Very cool additions to the roguelike genre (and I do like roguelikes quite a bit although very few have stuck by me for any significant time other than Dwarf Fortress).

Definitely pushing some more money their way…

I had exactly the same experience as Joxer. Rouguelike? Not my cup of tea...but not backing this would feel like I'm not living up to my own expectations. I just have to support projects like these when they're presented so well, even if in the end the game isn't what I prefer to play. And I might be surprised, I really enjoyed FTL so why not. Pledged.

I like the more visual, horizontal party arrangement and members' morals changes. The art style is just amazing and well done.

The developers also worked on cardboard rpgs so its seems they know a thing or two about rpgs.

Pledged, and looking forward to their updates.

Man they are already past the half point. The art style is awsome and did someone say Cthulhu? Well they don't call me Hastar for nothing :) though in Cthulhu mythology it is spelled Hastur.

If Pantheon does not make it I am going to take all that money and place it in this. Will pledge anyway but they may get a bigger chunk :)

I backed, but didn't know it was a rogue-like, so unbacked. Pity, I loved the art style and the concept.

This is most certainly not a roguelike. It contains elements sure, but just watching their pitch video makes it pretty clear that this is not a roguelike.

Well, depends on how you define roguelike.

From what it sounds like it works much like this:
You have a town and multiple "potential candidates". Then you put together troops out of that and send them into a dungeon. If they come back you might have gained something. If they die...well, they are gone.

Classic CRPG and roguelike features, including meaningful permadeath, procedural dungeons, and incredible replay
Town meta-game – tend to your heroes wounds, both corporeal and cerebral

Back
Top Bottom