Activating Hardware Decoding? (Steam In-Home Streaming question)

I have this working with my desktop as host and my Alienware M11x as the client. But, I have another problem, which is massive screen tearing - which appears on both the client and the host when playing. I'm guessing they're enforcing VSYNC off on the host, because it might be a problem decoding and streaming with VSYNC.

I can't stand screen tearing, so this means my streaming plan will likely not work at all with Steam in-home streaming.

Oh well.

Interesting. I had no problems with screen tearing, but the Last Remnant game only plays at 45 FPS fully maxed out on my Alienware M17x, so I didn't have any screen tearing issues.

I was running Baldur's Gate pretty nicely as well with no issues. Maybe you can force V-sync on through your GPU control panel on the host computer?

I also can't stand screen tearing so that would be a huge turn-off to me. I hope you can get it working.

Interesting. I had no problems with screen tearing, but the Last Remnant game only plays at 45 FPS fully maxed out on my Alienware M17x, so I didn't have any screen tearing issues.

I was running Baldur's Gate pretty nicely as well with no issues. Maybe you can force V-sync on through your GPU control panel on the host computer?

I also can't stand screen tearing so that would be a huge turn-off to me. I hope you can get it working.

Strange…

I've tried forcing VSYNC on both the host and the client, for the actual game being streamed as well as the streaming client .exe in Steam.

It seems to ignore any VSYNC setting I make. The strange thing is that the game plays fine with VSYNC on and no tearing when I don't stream it. I've tried it with several games, including Risen 3.

No idea how to fix it.

I've tried searching forums, and people are talking about the Aero interface interfering, but that sounds a bit iffy to me. I've tried all kinds of compatibility settings in Win 8.1 to no avail.

Oh well….

But thanks for the information.

Strange…

I've tried forcing VSYNC on both the host and the client, for the actual game being streamed as well as the streaming client .exe in Steam.

It seems to ignore any VSYNC setting I make. The strange thing is that the game plays fine with VSYNC on and no tearing when I don't stream it. I've tried it with several games, including Risen 3.

No idea how to fix it.

I've tried searching forums, and people are talking about the Aero interface interfering, but that sounds a bit iffy to me. I've tried all kinds of compatibility settings in Win 8.1 to no avail.

Oh well….

But thanks for the information.

Dang. From one gamer to another - I'm sorry to hear that and I hope you can figure it out somehow. Screen tearing is truly terrible for anyone to experience :(.

Kind of a related side note - I fixed the screen tearing in The Last Remnant by downloading a program called D3DOverrider. I don't know all the technical jargon, but basically, normal v-sync settings have no effect on The Last Remnant, and I needed the special program to run in the background in order to have no screen tearing.

It now runs fine on both my Alienware and my client laptop (although on a client without hardware decoding you get a bit of a choppy camera).

Maybe D3DOverrider can solve your problem? It forces v-sync on for whatever applications you choose and seems to work perfectly for me.

Good luck!

Dang. From one gamer to another - I'm sorry to hear that and I hope you can figure it out somehow. Screen tearing is truly terrible for anyone to experience :(.

Kind of a related side note - I fixed the screen tearing in The Last Remnant by downloading a program called D3DOverrider. I don't know all the technical jargon, but basically, normal -sync settings have no effect on The Last Remnant, and I needed the special program to run in the background in order to have no screen tearing.

It now runs fine on both my Alienware and my client laptop (although on a client without hardware decoding you get a bit of a choppy camera).

Maybe D3DOverrider can solve your problem? It forces v-sync on for whatever applications you choose and seems to work perfectly for me.

Good luck!

That's a good idea :)

I've actually used that program in the past for certain stubborn games, so I guess I should give it a shot here.

Thanks for mentioning it ;)

That's a good idea :)

I've actually used that program in the past for certain stubborn games, so I guess I should give it a shot here.

Thanks for mentioning it ;)

No problem!

Yeah, The Last Remnant was stubborn alright :). I was really bummed to see the insane amount of screen tearing in that game before using D3DOverrider, but now it runs beautifully.

Now I just need a laptop that is capable of 1080p video using hardware decoding, and I'll be all set :)

Now I just need a laptop that is capable of 1080p video using hardware decoding, and I'll be all set :)

Hmm, not quite sure what that takes. My old M11x isn't really that powerful. I believe it has a 335M Nvidia GPU.

It streams 1080 without issue so far. Well, apart from that tearing thing - but that's a separate issue.

Back
Top Bottom