Original Sin - Release Day

That's what I fear. :(

I mean… it's ok, appareantly many guys like it and Larian obviously never stated they'd do a "serious" game. I'm just a little disappointed. Or to be more precise: I'm a lot less hyped. I will judge after I've played it.

Keep in mind that I'm not really a big humor fan when it comes to games.

I like lighthearted stuff and "fairy tale" stuff - but I tend to despise the farcical approach.

I didn't have a big problem with it in DKS and it seems to me it wasn't as silly, but I don't really remember.

So far, Original Sin has plenty to like - and it's not saturated with bad humor or anything. There are simply some very odd choices - and that sneaking animation is the worst one so far. Sort of schizophrenic design choices.

In the movie the cloaks even takes the shape of boulders.

Yeah, that's Peter Jackson's interpretation. He's a big fan of the farcical and non-subtle stuff, so I guess it fits.

I can't say I think of LOTR (book or movie) when playing Original Sin, but we're all different.

Keep in mind that I'm not really a big humor fan when it comes to games.
I like lighthearted stuff and "fairy tale" stuff - but I tend to despise the farcical approach.

Yeah, I'm generally the same with games. Unless the humor is really well-done (like in Fallout 1+2) it comes off as flat and forced. However, oddly enough the first time I saw that sneak animation my significant other and I both chuckled. It was just soooo.. I don't know… quaint… I don't want to use the word.. cute… but it was genuinely light-hearted, like the programmers and animators who did it were enjoying themselves.

And that's the feeling I'm getting from a lot of this game. It feels like this team had a lot of fun making it and is making me appreciate (and forgive) the silliness.

It's kind of like watching an old John Carpenter movie now. The jokes are sometimes awful but the whole approach is so earnest and genuine that you chuckle instead of cringe and just bounce along and enjoy the ride.

At least, that's been my experience…

Well said, Falchor.

Didn't play much, I like the early part of the game. Not everything though. Two things I don't like:
- classic engine issue of not highlighting containers
- subtitles are off by default

Everything else, including the sneaking design, to me is awsome.

O_O

Surely there is a button on your keyboard you can press to highlight all containers on screen. There HAS to be. Even Baldur's Gate has this

No. Or I can't find it. There is a button that highlights (well…) pickables, but not lootables.

And it's not the first such game. Van Helsing (at least the initial release) worked the same.

Ugh, don't tell me there are lootables, I HATE LOOTABLES! unless it's a chest in a dungeon, those are ok, but opening barrels in a city and getting 25 gold that's the most stupid, idiotic and retarded element in games. Yeah, let's open this barrel in the middle of the street. Obviously nobody owns it, and wow, someone put 25 gold pieces in it! how lucky of us! oh, there's another one over there, let's open it... Oh! Someone put a magic ring there, how lucky of us! Bah!

Ugh, don't tell me there are lootables, I HATE LOOTABLES! unless it's a chest in a dungeon, those are ok, but opening barrels in a city and getting 25 gold that's the most stupid, idiotic and retarded element in games. Yeah, let's open this barrel in the middle of the street. Obviously nobody owns it, and wow, someone put 25 gold pieces in it! how lucky of us! oh, there's another one over there, let's open it… Oh! Someone put a magic ring there, how lucky of us! Bah!

I agree. I prefer more realistic looting.

That said, I like lootables all over the place, as long as these criteria are met:

1 - The items contained within are realistic (you wouldn't find enchanted legendary items in a barrel in the middle of the town square).

2 - You can press a button and highlight all the lootable objects.

If you can't highlight them with a button press, that's a problem for me. That means a lot of tedium to see which containers can or cannot be looted. I'm hoping they patch that in. Can someone post about it on Larian's forums?

One thing that I just don't like in any game is including this one it would seem, is.

I made the choice of fighting a merchant and after winning a long fight not getting any of the items they had for sale.

Do they get to take them with them in death? This has always been an issue with me in games. So I thought I would try it in this one as well :(

Actually, it is assumed that their wares are on the tables and such around them :) If you kill the whole legion in Cyseal, I agree the loot should show up. If you can kill Arhu and he has artifact level stuff.

The merchants keep their inventory in an interdimensional rift similar to the
pyramids ZixZax has given you.
Since you're not attuned to this, you can't access it.

I made the choice of fighting a merchant and after winning a long fight not getting any of the items they had for sale.
I don't see a problem there:
You buy something, a merchant brings it out of a hidden place.
You kill a merchant, hell if you know where did he hide everything that was offered.

Don't kill merchants (in Divinity games that means nonhostiles you can trade with)!

I don't see a problem there:
You buy something, a merchant brings it out of a hidden place.
You kill a merchant, hell if you know where did he hide everything that was offered.

Don't kill merchants (in Divinity games that means nonhostiles you can trade with)!

That's a good way to look at it.

I also like the approach of a game like Morrowind. If you killed a merchant in that game, I'm pretty sure his corpse had all the items he had for sale. I believe they also had locked chests with stuff in them as well as shelves with items that you could obviously grab.

Me, I never kill merchants or innocents. I'm the one saving the day, not ruining it :D.

To me, that doesn't even belong into an old school game D:OS tries to be.

In my opinion, that's an typical Action-RPG aka LootRPG feature.

Yeah. ;D

This is a good game. I'm not sure how good yet, because I have only been able to play for about 3 hours on release day. I'm hoping to play some tonight and over the 4th weekend.

I don't know why Larian went with this isometric view instead of a 3rd person view like with Ego Draconis, which is a really great game.

I don't like isometric view. Ok, I hate it, I REALLY hate it. But for this game, I am willing to suffer through it.

The one thing that is really annoying me so far and I haven't figured out how to fix it, if possible, is that when I'm in battle the camera will just automatically zoom out all of the way every time I launch an attack on an enemy. I would like to be able to position the camera where I want it and have it to stay there. I don't even know if it's a bug, or if it's intentional, but if intentional then I think it's stupid. :mad:

I'm really excited about playing this game though. I like everything about it so far except for the aforementioned things.

Last edited:
O_O

Surely there is a button on your keyboard you can press to highlight all containers on screen. There HAS to be. Even Baldur's Gate has this

If I remember correctly from 2 days ago... Hold down the ALT key, that will highlight anything that you can pick up or loot.

No, ALT will not highlight barrels, tables, dressers, vases, corpses, etc and doesn't work at all in Observatory where to pick bottles and other stuff you have to do good old pixelhunting. :)

Back
Top Bottom