Is a dictatorship better than a democracy?

So it's natural that we all carry power-hungry genes in us, and we have natural respect/desire/fear/etc for those in power. It's nothing more than just normal pack animal behavior, and it can be easily observed in countless of other pack animals.

I guess that sets me apart from nature, but I already suspected that ;)

Well, in my opinion, the one major drawback and benefit of both systems is the time it takes to make and implemnet a decisioin.

Let's say that a new gigantic solar plant is needed to save the country from being destoryed by coal mines, in the democratic process it'd take years before the building could even start. The dictator would just do it straight a way.

However let's say that during the democratic process a huge flaw was found in this plant plants that would ruin it… then it is good it took it's time.

China and Sweden are very good examples of this, in China they take the decision and execute it immidelty, in sweden it takes years for things to happen.

On the other hand they often make things the "wrong" way in china and a lot of people suffer. In Sweden that also happens but not as often.

Not always. A good dictatorship can be better if people dont understand the issues at hand especially if people are mostly bandwagoners which is a problem now.

Special pleading. Besides, if somebody disagrees with you, it can always be claimed that they don't understand the issue.

I guess that sets me apart from nature, but I already suspected that ;)

Well, every pack has their omega males, as well… Most of the time it's hard to assess how power-hungry they are, but it's probable that most of them would prefer not to be omega males. Which is a little bit of hunger for power right there.

My main concern woth democracy os that there are a lot of really stupid people, and they get to vote too. But i still think itsbetter than a dictator. I cant think of one enlightened dictator who really had the best interest of te people in his mind.
So my vote still goes to democracy.

Btw this discussion reminds me that i have to vote next week.... Again. first national elections, then It was regional and now i have to vote for the european politics. Getting a bit voting-tired right now.

I will go anyway, i am probably a bit old fashioned but i think its my duty ;-)

Special pleading. Besides, if somebody disagrees with you, it can always be claimed that they don't understand the issue.

It has nothing to do with agreeing or not. Then problem is the bandwagoners that will not even look at the other side. And even if they look at the other side sometimes its truly bad when neither side understands the issue. What then?

Well, every pack has their omega males, as well… Most of the time it's hard to assess how power-hungry they are, but it's probable that most of them would prefer not to be omega males. Which is a little bit of hunger for power right there.

While I'm no great fan of labeling human beings in this way, I suppose Omega is the most appropriate of them where I'm concerned. Well, except that most people I've met who believe in these simplistic terms label me as Alpha - which I consider to be a joke.

I have no respect whatsoever for social structures or hierarchies that don't make sense or which I haven't chosen to be a part of. I've never been terribly invested in what other people think of me.

I consider power to be an illusion that works because people let it work - but people are fickle, and to rely upon the power they give you can be very disappointing.

I have no interest in power, except the power to be independent, I suppose. I want everyone to be happy - and I don't think I deserve anything that other people don't deserve.

I despise the concept of assigning value to people - as I've never seen a way of doing that which is fair or even makes sense. As such, everyone is equal in my eyes - until such time as inequality can be established with reasonable certainty.

For my part, the vast majority of serious issues in this world could be resolved if we shared instead of this insanity of dividing resources in such an uneven way.

I also have zero desire to "conquer" females. I want one - obviously - but I only want one that wants me back, and I have no interest whatsoever in "persuading" anyone to want me.

If it turns out I can't share my life with someone who wants me the way I want her - I'd rather just not have her. That would make me tremendously sad, but so be it.

That makes me Omega? No idea, really.

Last edited:
So much brain juice in this thread.

Out of reach to comment of the thread core topic but one point is certain:
to contain such material for thoughts, the opening video comes from a RPG that plays on PCs.

While I'm no great fan of labeling human beings in this way, I suppose Omega is the most appropriate of them where I'm concerned. Well, except that most people I've met who believe in these simplistic terms label me as Alpha - which I consider to be a joke.

I have no respect whatsoever for social structures or hierarchies that don't make sense or which I haven't chosen to be a part of. I've never been terribly invested in what other people think of me.

I consider power to be an illusion that works because people let it work - but people are fickle, and to rely upon the power they give you can be very disappointing.

I have no interest in power, except the power to be independent, I suppose. I want everyone to be happy - and I don't think I deserve anything that other people don't deserve.

I despise the concept of assigning value to people - as I've never seen a way of doing that which is fair or even makes sense. As such, everyone is equal in my eyes - until such time as inequality can be established with reasonable certainty.

For my part, the vast majority of serious issues in this world could be resolved if we shared instead of this insanity of dividing resources in such an uneven way.

I also have zero desire to "conquer" females. I want one - obviously - but I only want one that wants me back, and I have no interest whatsoever in "persuading" anyone to want me.

If it turns out I can't share my life with someone who wants me the way I want her - I'd rather just not have her. That would make me tremendously sad, but so be it.

That makes me Omega? No idea, really.

No, that is not omega male behavior.

Humans are more complex than other animals, and our social hierarchies are more complex. While we as a species display many signs of pack animal behavior, not everyone is going to fit nicely into one definition or another. The traditional pack/tribe structures have been broken in the modern society anyway.

Dictatorship is a lot better than corporate ownership of the entire country and buying of votes. That is simply 'corruption' and it's what we have in USA and EU today, which used to be mainly confined to banana republics and commie crapholes.

Democracy only works when people have brains, and are educated, and there's no corruption at work or else it's not much different from communism where all the decisions get made behind closed doors and the elections and compaigns are more about propagandizing than seeking a mandate from the people.

Hmmm... Have you been watching Continuum by any chance?

Like the call of duty trailer. I dont think people want "democracy". What they want is some freedoms, bread and circus-funs. Something that makes them feel alive.

Corwin, are you being serious?

I had to look it up, but it was obvious on first viewing exactly with what purpose the clip had been cut to 19 seconds.

After much thinking and internal debate, I have come to the conclusion that a benevolent oligarchy is the best form of government. Democracy is not ideal. It's inefficient, reactive (never proactive or based on sets of universal ideals), and the masses aren't to be trusted. A dictatorship is too susceptible to corruption and folly, because other perspectives don't need to be taken into consideration.

A dictatorship never ends well. It's human nature I guess, even someone with the best intentions slowly gets corrupted by power.

We should do something similar to Ender's Game... Get people who are really good at (political) strategy games and make them believe they're playing a game, where the game they think they're playing is reality.

It's fine to trust dictators, provided that they're benevolent dictators.

I guess it's also fine to trust deluded children who imagine they're playing a videogame which in fact determines the world's political structure ... provided that they're benevolent children.

As I said, a dictator is more susceptible to corruption and folly, no matter how benevolent he or she may seem at first. A group of well-intentioned people are going to be more resistant to those sorts of things.

Or you can just argue semantics with me instead of trying to understand my point.

It's fine to trust dictators, provided that they're benevolent dictators.

I guess it's also fine to trust deluded children who imagine they're playing a videogame which in fact determines the world's political structure … provided that they're benevolent children.

Who said anything about children? I was just referring to the process. If the simulation is good enough (and I'm talking 100 years from now good), then the simulation has millions of variables that represent the real world events and problems. With new situations added as events in the game.

Actually, I'm thinking if the simulation is good enough, you don't need players. Let the computer make the decisions for us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom