Bioshock - V1.1 Patch Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Thanks to Dark Savant for pointing out the promised Bioshock patch has been released:
Upgrade BioShock to v1.1 with this patch.*
v1.1 Patch - Worldwide Retail (27MB)
v1.1 Patch - USK German and English (27MB)
*If you purchased a digital distribution copy of BioShock (i.e. from Direct2Drive, Steam, or other), do NOT install this patch. Please go to the site you downloaded BioShock from to receive a version of this patch modified to work with your version.
Changes:
  • Added compatibility with Matrox TripleHead2Go - Allows Bioshock users to play in Surround Gaming Mode across 3 screens simultaneously
  • Added rendering support for TripleHead2Go
  • Added the following plasmids and gene tonics: Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom 2, Eve Saver, Machine Buster, Machine Buster 2, Vending Expert, Vending Expert 2
  • Added an Option to disable the Vita-Chambers for added difficulty.
  • Changed behavior of subtitles so that inappropriate queuing is improved
  • Added support for a walk toggle keybind
  • Added Horizontal FOV Lock option
  • Atlas VO volume increased for German releases
Fixes:
  • Re-added the Human Inferno tonic which was missing from the retail release.
  • Fixed mouse acceleration issues
  • Fixed issue of subtitles not clearing correctly on occasion
  • Fix for a potential situation in Fort Frolic where taking a picture of Cobb is impossible if his body gets stuck behind a fallen pillar
  • Fixed subtitle timings to more accurately match the on screen audio
  • Fixed issue causing stuttering audio when using Windows Vista
  • Fixed issue with characters squirming and wiggling after death
  • Fixed blood decals and other projectors not showing up on ATI hardware
  • The "Use Creative EAX Audio" option is now greyed out when EAX-capable hardware is not present
  • Fixed audio issues stemming from having a Speaker Setting in Windows that was invalid for the current sound card
  • Fixed reserved keys not functioning properly when keys are unbound
  • Fixed multiple cases of keys not allowing a rebind
  • Removed erroneous "Reload" binding in a no-weapons context
  • Fixed incorrect Training Message concerning bots who are friendly to enemy AIs
  • Fixed incorrect Training Message when shooting a Mimic
  • Fixed refresh rate being locked at 60hz in DX10 mode
  • Fixed VSync disabling in DX10 mode
More information.

Too, bad they seemed to leave out Shader 2.0 support, iirc Valve released numbers that 40% of their Steam customers still have a Shader 2.0 card and if thats representative of the international averages thats a lot of sales lost.

Too, bad they seemed to leave out Shader 2.0 support, iirc Valve released numbers that 40% of their Steam customers still have a Shader 2.0 card and if thats representative of the international averages thats a lot of sales lost.

This game more than made it's fair share of sales I believe.

I have to wonder if these extras warrant an extra play-through. This has been a game that has so very little replayablitiy that I've never really felt like it. A few extra plasmids don't seem like enough.

i fail to see how bioshock has "very little replayability" compared to other shooters which ofter no living "ecosystem" and the ability to play a varied character. this is not an rpg so a lack dialogue or factional choices obviously don't apply. system shock 2 was no different. the reason to replay it is to experience the awesome and unique atmosphere after its been a while since playing; reliving the well written story dispite already knowing it and not being able to affect it; and yes i'll probably replay it again at some point now (2 times through when it came out) since those few extra plasmids and tonics would be interesting to try...

i will admit that i had my hopes up that they were adding a shade more content--still what they did as is far better than average.

Maybe compared to other shooters, but SS2 was much different as your character development choices were permanent, in Bioshock you can change them anytime, SS2 was much more like a RPG in that sense.
It's too bad they decided to give up most of the RPG elements there by reducing the replayability to nothing more than replaying a good shooter like HL2 or something, which for me in a single player experience isn't all that often. I would much rather wait till there is a slowdown of good games. I am not sure how things will look in a couple of months as we have had a nice run of RPGs in the last several months, not sure how much longer this will keep up and I still haven't played them all. ;)

seems like they haven't fixed the CTD bug which seems to be affecting quite a few players. Could be related to the U3 engine so it may be out of their hands I guess.

Wonder if it's vendor specific ATI or nvida?

i fail to see how bioshock has "very little replayability" compared to other shooters which ofter no living "ecosystem" and the ability to play a varied character. this is not an rpg so a lack dialogue or factional choices obviously don't apply. system shock 2 was no different. the reason to replay it is to experience the awesome and unique atmosphere after its been a while since playing; reliving the well written story dispite already knowing it and not being able to affect it; and yes i'll probably replay it again at some point now (2 times through when it came out) since those few extra plasmids and tonics would be interesting to try...

i will admit that i had my hopes up that they were adding a shade more content--still what they did as is far better than average.

There is a huge difference between Bioshock and System Shock 2 in terms of replayability.

For me, there is no reason to replay Bioshock, because there is no character development and there are no limits to what plasmids you can use/buy. In System Shock 2, there were 3 classes and a lot skills that meant you could play it through several times with different skill-sets and weaponry, which constitutes a significant variety in gameplay. I've played it through 3-4 times, and I've done it differently each time, which has been most satisfying.

Bioshock gives me no incentive to do so, and even though I find the story decent (though vastly overrated, in general), it's certainly not enough of a reason to go through everything in the exact same way, at least not for a year or two. It's like pretty much every other shooter I've played in that regard, and I don't immediately recall a single one that I've replayed, come to think of it.

I got really excited when I saw the "added content" announcement, but I'm pretty disappointed with what it is. Now, I appreciate the attitude of "continued attention" that the patch shows, given the way most games are kicked out the door and promptly forgotten these days. I guess the FPS idea of added content is just different from the RPG idea.

That's simply not enough to get me to replay. By the end of my run thru the game, I had every plasmid, both weapon improvements on every weapon, and every tonic. There's no reason to expect another run to play any differently.

while i'll agree system shock 2 has more replayability the 3 classes, which do make a cool begining, have little to no effect on the game. you can completely go the other way once you start. also bioshock is essentially the same in except easier. you can get a majority of the upgrades in system shock 2 unless you are going the psi route. the cybernetic upgrades are a nice thing to look forward to--kind of like the weapon upgrades in bioshock except the fact that you could upgrade all your weapons made it less gratifying. for me though i liked the camera upgrades just as much if not better than the research in ss2. spending hours trying to take 'good' pictures was more intense and fun than heading back to a lower deck for a single chemical not found in an adjacent storage room.

but the main reason i replay ss2 so much and plan on replaying bioshock in the future is the overall atmosphere which will always retain its potentcy...how i play thoses playthroughs often ends up similar as before anyhow.

i never play straight shooters anyhow so call of the cromags 4 or hunting half-wits
will never be games i play even if they have the best 'mechanics' and graphics out there.

Back
Top Bottom