What games are you playing now?

And I'm in California inside Wasteland 2, just collected enough of cat poo or something to upgrade rad suits.
Where are those numerous bugs everyone talked about? Didn't notice any. Yet.

And I'm in California inside Wasteland 2, just collected enough of cat poo or something to upgrade rad suits.
Where are those numerous bugs everyone talked about? Didn't notice any. Yet.

I am only a few hours into Wasteland 2, and totally loving it so far!

You'll adore it even more later, I promise!

I didn't play the release version, but currently it's pretty polished. It's possible I took nonbugged choices, but from what I've read before, California was utterly broken. Seriously, it's not.

A few hints.
1. Did you play Divinity: Original Sin? Spells can destroy boxes and obstacles there and in Wasteland you don't have spells. Well, you have cheap TNT and grenades!

2. Don't go jack of all trades with any character! Specialize them.

3. I wish I knew, but for those who will start the game now, your leading (first) character should be with high strength. For reasons… Well… You'll see.

4. If you accept a new recruit then instantly kick them out you'll still get XP for recruitment later and they will be waiting for you in the base.

5. From all possible skills, barter is probably the only worthless one. You'll have crapload of cash all the time.

6. Animal whisperer and science are great, but don't use them much in fights - as because of odd design decision you'll lose XP.

7. Perception is challenged on the world map too! And you want to loot those hidden caches there, trust me.

8. Do not use skill books while on the world map.

9. Robots are vulnerable to energy weapons. Which leads to two uberspoilers:
- "zombie" girl is the best sidekick NPC you can get in this game
- do not miss depleted uranium/plutionium near the nuke, take it back to base when you find it

Playing Gothic 2: Gold for the first time ever. Great game thus far. All open-world RPGs should take notes from this classic. :)

Does Skyrim ever end?
I am starting to feel like a junkie, I am not getting the rush any more after 150 hours but can't put it down.

Seems there is always something that needs to be done.

Technically, no, Skyrim never ends. You can do those random quests until the end of eternity (I think, anyway). But umm, if you want to see the "ending", just focus on the main quest. That certainly doesn't take 150 hours to finish. I think it's more around the 30 hour mark.

Goodness, the main quest isn't nearly the end. In fact, parts of it are very boring. Everything with the Greybeards is just dull after the 1st playthrough. You're playing it right Celtic. Skyrim lasts until you get bored, not until you run out of things to do. Mods just make it even worse/better depending on if you desire to "finish".

I finished up Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Firstly, I'm not much of an FPS person whatsoever… So, with that stated, I will say that although it told a somewhat interesting story, I did find myself bored at times with just how linear it was (standard par for a traditional shooter). Additionally, aside from one gun, the different weapons were also fairly cliche.

Very polished though. It ran great on high quality settings (better than any Unity game) and I encountered only a single bug that forced me to reload from the latest checkpoint.

Overall, a solid game, albeit one that doesn't progress the genre at all with its simplicity. Worth the $20 I paid for it. Bonus points for Dwight Schultz voicing the villain Herr Doktor ;)

Bonus points for Dwight Schultz voicing the villain Herr Doktor ;)

Now that makes it sound a lot more interesting!

I'm a few hours into Divinity Original Sin and really, really enjoying it. It's the best RPG I've played in ages, and probably my game of the year (not that I've played too many new ones this year). I wasn't too sure about the dual protagonist thing, but it actually works out pretty well. It's got the same sort of feel as the original game, but the turn based combat works a lot better, and with so many strategic options I can't see it getting boring any time soon. Some of the wackier elements really remind me of older PnP gaming, which really ramps up the nostalgia factor.

I finished up Wolfenstein: The New Order.

I should be finished with TNO as well, but I've had a bad case of GADD (Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder) the last few days. :)

Frontiers - You can read my impression here.

Outcast 1.1 - Not as impressive as I was hoping. It's just Outcast with higher resolutions and more control options. Still, it might eventually entice me to do a full playthrough which I've never done.

Salt - Another Early Access open-world game. You start out on a small island and have to craft weapons, clothing, etc, to survive. You then sail from island to island exploring and gathering materials to craft more items. Credit to HiddenX for pointing it out.

Too bad about AC3. I thought it looked like it would be better than that due to what seemed like an interesting setting to explore.

I'm going to assume you skipped the expansion. :)

You mean the Tyranny of King Washington DLC? I actually started that one but it was at least just as mediocre as the main game. Every cutscene had a whiny Connor running around crying "I don't understand this… I don't understand that… why me… yada yada…". I might finish it after Black Flag to conclude my AC spree. We'll see…

I've never had any freezes or crashes in AC4, but I've only logged around 6-8 hours. I also think it's a lot less consolish than the older titles due to how they allow you to customize the HUD. Gameplay-wise though, the series never really changes much.
False alarm on my side it seems. I've played on for several hours now and haven't had a single freeze since. Maybe my system just needed a reboot the other day or something like that. Black Flag is rock stable now like its prequels.

Definitely a really great game and no offense to PB but this one here is a pirate setting done right IMHO. They've really done an outstanding job capturing that 18th century Caribbean buccaneer flair. Incredible atmosphere and excellent creative work on part of the dev team. Sea combat, ship upgrades, managing crew, loot and plundering, everything...

Also, the whole gameplay and control scheme has finally matured to a stage here where I only rarely feel like smashing something ;) . There are still some camera issues, some frustrating moments in combat when the controls don't seem to respond as you'd like and the ever present annoyances with undesired interactions/triggers… like you try to escape from guards and you try to cut a corner and because you run close to a small wall or ledge, the game makes you jump on the wall/ledge and sit there(!) instead of continuing to run… or one of my favorites… you walk by a bench in a straight line, the bench to your right and even though you're not even touching the 'D' (or right arrow) key, your guy sits down on the bench for some stupid reason.

But all of that happens a lot less than in previous games. Thanks to that and thanks to the great looking islands, I'm finally having fun with a more completionist approach instead of just running for the next main story waypoint. The collectibles like the shanties, treasure maps etc. are nice and it's also a lot of fun to explore the islands (and the high seas) properly.
Definitely a must play game for anyone with an interest in pirate games.

Here's some visual booty from my exploits:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Moriendor/screenshots/?appid=242050

Finally restarted Blackguards and went through it again...swapped to 'easy' on the gladiatorial part (which was where I was stuck before). Mostly I enjoyed it.
Pros: tactical combat, fun story
Cons: excessive reliance on environmental 'gimmicks' to make combat interesting, forced party choice, terribly linear, unforgiving for slightly crap leveling up choices... In the end I gave up when I got to the final battle with "U"...the entire Chapter 5 I had essentially no money coming in for me and I went in with about 5 ducats, therefore no potions, elixirs, better armour, items etc. Its like the economy dried up. Since I was a mage (with Zurban) it means you're essentially useless after a few rounds, and then you have 3 fight in a row (multiple times). I had astral regen, but painfully slow...did they play-test this game I wonder (with people other than min/max TDE experts)? Could have been 'great' - in the end I had enough and it became a slog with poison being used *all* the time (and no clarum purum left to fix it...so -10 on str, agility, dex etc etc...means high spell failure too). BS.

Now playing Wolfenstein: TNO...maxed out, looks pretty, and nice OK story...but dull compared to my usual RPG fare...

Cons: … unforgiving…
That's among pros on my side. :)
Make a bad choice and you're doomed.
And that's what games should have. There has to be an option to lose. It was present in good old games for example immortal TNO in PST can still lose by getting Lady of Pain angry twice.

Somehow, this design got removed from "modern" games and I bet the trend came from dull consolegames. Now you don't have to worry about anything - you picked a wrong choice, no matter, go grind2win. Or go "play" cow clickers on facebook.

Finally defeated the Tower Knight in Demon's Souls. God, it was annoying, but felt oh-so-wonderful when I was finished. Now I've entered the swamp area, and damn I hate this level. It's dark, damp and high-up in the trees, so one misstep and you're gone. And I haven't brought any anti-plague remedies. :(

EDIT: Actually, scratch that, it seems the Valley of Defilement shouldn't be the next one I'm exploring. Seems it's a common opinion that it's an awful world anyway. So I'm off to Stonefang then.

Last edited:
Finished my XCOM:EW normal play through, and tried some replays on classic ironman. Fun until I get to the Portent mission. I always get one shorted by thin men, and restart. Gave up on ironman classic.

Started Dragon Age: Inquisition on normal difficulty. Well it's fun, but combat is so chaotic so I play in tactical mode mostly. Also, not being able to dodge ranged attacks is annoying since my own attacks appear to be uninterruptible by movement keys. :/

Started Dragon Age: Inquisition on normal difficulty. Well it's fun, but combat is so chaotic so I play in tactical mode mostly.
Wait till you meet your first spider or bear in Hinterlands. Then we'll talk about what's fun in this game. :evilgrin:

Don't mention those damn bears especially after the rate they re-spawn. I had to spend hours at a time just fighting them or running away from them.:brood:
You'll adore it even more later, I promise!

I didn't play the release version, but currently it's pretty polished. It's possible I took nonbugged choices, but from what I've read before, California was utterly broken. Seriously, it's not.
I agree Joxer as I said in multiple threads already Wasteland 2 is a good game. I also can't understand how members say the second part of the game is broken.

Last edited:
That's among pros on my side. :)
Make a bad choice and you're doomed.
And that's what games should have. There has to be an option to lose. It was present in good old games for example immortal TNO in PST can still lose by getting Lady of Pain angry twice.

Somehow, this design got removed from "modern" games and I bet the trend came from dull consolegames. Now you don't have to worry about anything - you picked a wrong choice, no matter, go grind2win. Or go "play" cow clickers on facebook.

Sure, there needs to be challenge - I had no problem with many other 'old(er) school' games. I played PS:T - no problem: It is made clear that pissing off the Lady of Pain, would be very, very stupid. However, I think having to rebuild my entire party from many levels back (which seems like the case) because I did not min/max my build (I am not a munchkin), for a rule set I am not that familiar with, is excessive. It really doesn't seem that they playtested well - even though they forced a set party on you (a luxury few game testers have). Also, as I said, the biggest issue (for me) was lack of resources in Chapter 5 - Turns out that there was essentially no money to be had in Chapter 5, and I didn't spend time grinding in the Arena to make money (I didn't think it necessary and it's tedious). I did however do pretty much every quests I found.

Finally, more practically, if they plan to make money in the 'RPG" market rather than adventure games, they will need to pander to more than a few hardcore TDE enthusiasts. I sure as hell won't send more money their way unless there are substantial improvements to their game play - including their counter-inuitive shitty line of sight algorithm.

Got myself a Wii Mini (couldn't find a classic Wii, except used) and started with Mario Galaxy 1. Pretty cool platformer. I can definitely see why it gets a lot of praises. What I don't think it needed is this much and these many cinematics. I hardly think Mario world characters need closeups and this much attention. It's all goofy fun and games, and nothing serious anyways.

Wait till you meet your first spider or bear in Hinterlands. Then we'll talk about what's fun in this game. :evilgrin:

Ha. Cassandra got stuck on some environment, and wouldn't attack unless I took control of her (useless @#$%#$), characters would never leave combat mode even when enemies had been vanquished, and my God do the templars, bandits, and apostates respawn out of thin air all around you. This is a respawning hater's nightmare. Limited fast travel seems like a design mistake. Every location you've discovered you should be able to fast travel to. Not just camps, etc… How did you ever play this Joxer?

And the game is a GPU dog. I need to play it on medium graphics settings to get decent average framerates in the benchmark.

Now, the un-obscurred areas when zoomed out from above may cover a larger area than Skyrim, but it doesn't seem to be that much prettier than Skyrim or Fallout: New Vegas with all the pretty mods, which I could play on about max settings.

Why is this game such a hog? Lack of PC optimization, perhaps…

Did I mention I am loving it nonetheless? :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom