Witcher 3 - Video Review @ Worth A Buy

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Witcher 3 is a story-driven, next-generation open world role-playing game, set in a visually stunning fantasy universe, full of meaningful choices and impactful consequences. In The Witcher, you play as Geralt of Rivia, a monster hunter tasked with finding a child from an ancient prophecy.

The Youtube channel Worth A Buy criticizes the game hard:

Final rating: Thumbs Down - Not worth a buy!

More information.

While it does hit on some of the minor frustrations I have with the game, I definately don't agree with his overall assessment since I am enjoying the game quite a bit. And yes, that's even though Geralt seems to handle more like a station wagon with a load of bricks in the back than an acrobat.

From his own comments, the author of this video apparently considers Skyrim and Chivalry as paragons of K+M combat, hmm.... why am I not surprised that he's "fighting" so awkwardly when reviewing (cough) the W3 and claiming its combat system to be clunky?

He made a follow up video explaining better the control issues. Check it out.

Sorry gotta run so I'll watch this vid later to see why is it not worth buying (IMO only a soundtrack is worth every penny).

All I can say quickly is that Geralt is definetly not an Assassin's Creed acrobats clone in this game at all, M+K combat is done well (no need to bring up ugly controller circle during fights because on 3-8 are mapped signs), horseriding is very good (although doubletap space to jump over obstacles was not perhaps a best solution).
Oh and I'm done with Orcharid part where I never used rolling, just (doubletap) dodge. Didn't need roll yet. Perhaps the video author is disappointed because rolls are not necessary? But unnecessary rolls automatically mean no acrobacy unless you deliberately go for it.

If I remember correctly (can't be assed to watch this review again sober, lol), he recommends against this game mostly because he thinks the combat is dumbed down and "consoley", almost completely ignoring the other strong qualities of TW3. Going through the idiotic comments of his supporters, it quickly becomes clear what kind of reviewer this guy is.

I agree with his sentiment; but not his final conclusion. This why I liked divinity so much (compared to PE or wasteland). The gameplay was fantastic. I felt witcher 2 was 'dumbed down' compared to witcher 1 and this is even more dumbed down than witcher 2 (and the keyboard interface is worse).
-
Let me repeat - I agree with the general sentiment but not the final conclusion. The game is a decent game but it could be so much better with better pc gameplay. This will likely be my last cdprojek full price purchase until they fix the pc gameplay in their games. If they want to focus on the consoles that is fine but then i will wait on the pc games when (if) I buy them.

Hmmm, meanwhile here I am playing 23 hours in two days not being able to stop (I am eating at the moment). It is one of the best, if not the best, games I have ever played. CDP is the first studio that succesfully combined beautiful huge detailed open world with focus on strong narrative and writing that contains decision and consequences. And what a writing that is, such exquisite quality.

As for combat I love it. Playing on gamepad, although I tried mouse and keyboard and did not have any issues either.

I didn't watch the review, matter of fact I don't watch any reviews of any games. I watch the odd video posted by Fluent and that is about it.

I read reviews here because for the most part everyone here is a RPG gamers and those are the only games I care about. Plus everyone here for the most part seems to have more than half a brain.

You can steal people's stuff in plain sight? I haven't gotten around to playing this yet, but I couldn't listen to this "critic" for more than a couple minutes.

It seems hit or miss. I have stole stuff in front of people and they did nothing but if a guard is present they have attacked me after a warning. I've also been attack just for threatening to punch people.

Not the best system but better than nothing.

You can steal people's stuff in plain sight?

Yes and no. Since it's a war any armed man can steal stuff from peasants do but try stealing stuff guarded by armed men and they will attack you.

What a loony-bin.

He does know that this is the third game in the franchise, right?

What was he expecting?

After watching the whole review and his follow up I have to say he's pretty spot on. Everything he says checks out with my experience of the game.

The extra steps at the end Was in one of my first posts about the game. Having your view blocked by trees and bushes was an issue and is why I wanted to be able to zoom in or out. One he didn't bring up but is annoying is not being able to attack immediately after a roll. People running in to you over and over again before going around you and the fight with the griffin is hilarious.

The difference between he an I though is I find the rest of the game so amazing that I'm willing to tolerate the short comings and I hold out hope it will be patched or modded.

He does offer up praise for a great story, animations and characters and actually recommends buying it if you can look past the control issues.

If you ignore his over the top delivery and just listen to his points alot of what he says rings true.

Probably because he's not experiencing it. I have no problem attacking after a roll.

well, It's happening to me the same with the end of a sprint. Messing with it I think it's a timing issue. I'm used to games like dark souls or lords of the fallen that have really fluid combat and you can chain things together quickly.

It seems here you have to wait for the animation to fully end before selecting another action. So if I roll then pause half a second then attack it works every time. If I roll and then go to the attack immediately when I feel the roll is over I always have to press twice to get my attack.

Same with sprinting. If I sprint at the guy I have to wait for the extra step animation to end before I can attack.

I'm just too used to Dark souls type combat I guess. I'll adjust.

I do remember having this same problem in my limited time with the witcher 2 but they patched it out IIRC. Hoping they do here as well.

To be honest, I think you're simply trying to hit the attack button too soon.

It's not the same thing that was an issue in TW2. I remember quite clearly what that was like because it happened to me a lot before it was fixed. In that case, it was definitely a lag issue. There's no such lag here, at least not for me.

I almost never use sprint during combat, but I tested it just now, and I had no problems attacking during any part of the sprint.

To be honest, I think you're simply trying to hit the attack button too soon.

It's not the same thing that was an issue in TW2. I remember quite clearly what that was like because it happened to me a lot before it was fixed. In that case, it was definitely a lag issue. There's no such lag here, at least not for me.

I almost never use sprint during combat, but I tested it just now, and I had no problems attacking during any part of the sprint.

I'm sure I am. Like I said I'm used to playing games like dark souls where you can cancel actionS when you start a new one. So if you hit another button at right near the end of an animation it will cancel and do the new move immediately.

Like I said it's a timing thing and I'll adjust.

One thing I do have an issue with is Geralt automatically switching targets when fighting multiple enemies. For instance, if I'm fighting a group of wolves and he suddenly spins around to attack another wolf when I was about to finish off one that's already low on health.

I suppose I could avoid that by just using the lock-target key, but I've never liked using that because it rarely helps when facing multiple opponents.

Back
Top Bottom