Frayed Knights - Wizard War Lore

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Rampant Coyote has kicked up some lore for Frayed Knights titled Nepharides and the Wizard War:
The Wizard War “ended” about three hundred years before the beginning of the game. Nobody’s really certain when it really began. Stories tend to begin when the war finally engulfed the original storyteller’s life. What is understood is that it began – and ended – with the arch-lich Nepharides.
Spellcasters of great power can sustain their lives well beyond a normal human’s allotted time. Some wizards are rumored to have been able to sustain their lives almost as long as that of the elves, who have been known to reach the ripe old age of a thousand years. But some spellcasters are powerful enough to take this one step further, and not just extend their lives, but replace them with an undead existence. The process to do this is rumored to require some pretty horrible acts of torture and murder, so it’s not an option for a wizard with an ounce of humanity.
More information.

I will say this much:

If you think I'm dredging up some long dead Ancient Evil as an important backstory character so I can take advantage of a trite, overused "An ancient evil is rising" plot… Well, you'd be half-right. If you think I'd let Frayed Knights suffer that kind of formula unpunished, however, you'd be mistaken.

Last edited:
For which we thank you!! :) Can't have an RPG without that and rats. lol

And I DO have my rats. I love my rats. I even have a temple of a rat-god...

Huh. I have a lot of temples and cults in this game. I blame my childhood choice of literature. My wife was turned onto fantasy by reading Tolkien. I, on the other hand, cut my teeth on Howard. And the Mighty Thewed one was forever battling monstrous gods...

I actually preferred Conan myself; I have all the Howard books somewhere on my shelves. As a teenager, I found Tolkien too slow and wordy!! :)

And I DO have my rats. I love my rats. I even have a temple of a rat-god…

Have you played Drakensang so far ? ;)

And about the Temple Of Rats ... In the very beginning, in one of the very first levels of Commander Keen 4 thre is a cave with something like a temple for the mighty Slugs ... ;)

Apart from that, I find the idea appealing : Not only Rats, but also a a Go and Temple for them ... Not the usual "cannon fodder" for level 1 characters ... ;)

I haven't played Drakensang yet. In fact, I feel like I should swear off all games until I get at least Act 1 completed...

I know I played Commander Keen 4, but I can't recall the temple... ah, well.

Anyway - the rats... their god is Nom the Devourer.

Well, there isn't exactly a temple of slugs, but a huge statue - crowned - depicting one. ;)

That's why I call it a "temple". ;)

This thread's side-trek into gods and temples inspired today's post..

I'm just trying to figure out where my night went. I was working on just... some minor modifications to the manor on the Plane of Anarchy and somehow three hours went by. I thought we switched to Daylight Savings Time a couple weeks ago...

You recently wrote something similar bout placing something within … a dungeon ? Wasn't it a door or something ?

Well, you wrote that the time just went by meanwhile you were doing "something minor" …
History repeats itself … ;)

Yeah, placing doors. Had to place a couple dozen doors in a dungeon, and it took hours. There are actually a lot of things with this game that go like that. Some weird distortion of the space-time continuum occurs, and the flow of time changes, I think.

Back
Top Bottom