Mars - Combat Trailer

I guess I'm alone in being completely underwhelmed.

Maybe I'm just getting old…

*patiently waits on his turn-based Kickstarters, amongst others on the horizon*
You are never alone, Capt. Huggy Face, but especially not on these three points.

I actually feel too many of the Kickstarters are turn based, but that still doesn't mean this combat video blew me away. Far from it. There's something odd about it, I just can't put my finger on it.

Ah well, time will tell how the game turns out.

Regarding the gun thing, they clearly do exist in the game, so I don't think that's an issue. Ultimately though, very few game worlds or rules systems survive any form of realistic scrutiny.

If you're going to do sci fi, do sci fi, laser guns etc., if you are going to do medieval do swords, clubs, Arthurian magic etc. But, it doesn't sit very well having a beat em up RPG set on Mars … Start with a simulation and if you have to compromise some aspects for gameplay reasons that's fine, but the more suspension of disbelief you require, the less believable the game/film/book feels to play/read/watch.

I disagree, low-tech sci-fi has always been a popular genre, and just because a game takes place on another planet doesn't mean everyone should be brandishing laser pistols. There are any number of ways to justify why a particular area or planet might have very limited technology. It's no less logical then any number of other things that we cast a blind eye to, especially in RPGs.

If you're going to do sci fi, do sci fi, laser guns etc., if you are going to do medieval do swords, clubs, Arthurian magic etc. But, it doesn't sit very well having a beat em up RPG set on Mars … Start with a simulation and if you have to compromise some aspects for gameplay reasons that's fine, but the more suspension of disbelief you require, the less believable the game/film/book feels to play/read/watch.

I don't have a problem with melee combat in sci-fi, but I'm eager to see their explanation of how Mars suddenly seems to have a breathable atmosphere. :)

I guess its terraforming.

I suggest the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson, starting with Red Mars. Lots of stuff on terraforming. And areoforming.

There is a certain stiffness / jekiness to the combat animations that I find a bit irritating.
I agree that the setting is interesting (if somewhat contrived).

Reminds me a lot of Chronicles of Riddick (graphics, setting/atmosphere), though Riddick had more sneaking it seems. i can really recommend that game if you for some reason missed it, it's not the typical FPS at all.

Reminds me a lot of Chronicles of Riddick (graphics, setting/atmosphere), though Riddick had more sneaking it seems. i can really recommend that game if you for some reason missed it, it's not the typical FPS at all.

Yeah, Escape from Butcher Bay was fairly unique in setting and atmosphere. I still need to get around to playing the re-released version.

Back
Top Bottom