Gothic 3 - More than 500.000 Units Worldwide Sold

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
JoWooD & Deep Silver announced the latest sales numbers for Piranha Bytes´ RPG Gothic 3. Here´s the PR minus the company drivel and the general game info all of our readers know:
Liezen, Austria / Planegg, Germany; 9th of March: Gothic 3 hits the roof! More than 500.000 copies of the famous RPG were sold [the German PR implies they´re talking about sell-through, not sell-in; ed.], placing Gothic 3 among the most successful german [sic!] RPGs ever.

„Gothic 3 turns into a very successful long seller, just as the precursors did. Every week we`re curious about the incoming charts, showing sales of both Collector`s and standard edition at a stable and high level“, comments Johannes Natterer, Senior Marketing Manager JoWooD Productions. „Our high expectations are still outnumbered and Gothic 3 is finally on its way to become a known and beloved brand even outside the German speaking territories“.

„We are proud to be part of such a world wide and remarkable success together with our Partner JoWooD Productions“, states Martin Metzler, PR Manager Koch Media. „And all that is achieved with a production made in Germany, proofing that German studios can take on the international competition.“
More information.

One more patch and I might buy it too :biggrin:

One more patch is already over 3 months in production with no visible result. Still many quests broken and few skills too. I bought Collector`s Edition right away and now its like 5 months I`m waiting to play. I refuse to play with walktrough warning me all the time "don`t talk to this guy cause it will brake this" or "talk to this one only after You did this and this but before that or it will crash alltogether".

I haven't found any broken quest bugs like that yet, at least with the patched versions.

500,000 isn't bad but it's not terrific either. But then again, I heard that the team that worked on this game is tiny, so maybe it's making a huge profit.

I think that is pretty darn good - the hardware requirements are massive, which is a limited ... so I think those are decent numbers.

Yes, they´re certainly in the money. Especially if you add the higher price for the CE and then merchandize like hint book, the excellent art book, sound track and posters.

Still it makes me wonder how much they would have sold for full price if they hadn´t killed 90% of the buzz with unacceptable product quality at launch. I tend to think that they didn´t win 500k but rather lost the 1M mark.

I'm glad to hear that it's selling well, because I love the Gothic series. However, I still haven't touched my copy simply because of the mixed reviews I've heard from actual gamers. Gothic 1 & 2 hold a special spot in my gaming heart, and I don't want to ruin that spot by playing Gothic 3 in an unfinished state.

So... I hope the patch comes out soon... at this point it feels like vaporware, but I'm sure that's just because of how long it's taking them to get it done (I'm hoping that the delay means that they are fixing absolutely everything they can).

I bought the CE a few weeks ago at Amazon. For 25€ it is not a surprize that it's such a "successful long seller" ;)
I'm not only waiting for the next patch but also for my new computer before i start playing it :)

I don't think Jowood should celebrate too much. G3 sells well largely because the fans of G1,2. And that could change if G4 were the same as G3...just look at its sparse forum discussions comparing to those of G1,2.

At least this will encourage them to finish that patch and put out an addon... and probably a Gothic 4, too. :) Personally, I think the game is pretty damn playable and fun in its current state granted that you have 2 GB of RAM.

(Oblivion for example almost always crashes and locks up my computer when I exit it, very annoying.)

So... I hope the patch comes out soon... at this point it feels like vaporware, but I'm sure that's just because of how long it's taking them to get it done (I'm hoping that the delay means that they are fixing absolutely everything they can).

Amen! My copy is starting to collect dust.

They have a very small team, so the overhead probably isn't that much. I think 500,000 is a significant number.

Oh man. I hoped they would have at least gotten 1 million.

I played the English version (aka European release) of the game the week it came out. Played all the way through 3 times without any quest ending bugs at all. I read about all these problems to expect yet I never had any. Instead of worrying about having something happen to you if you play why not just try the game and see what happens? Its a fun game, better than 2 I would say but still not as good as 1. Don't miss out though just because something may happen.

indeed

I played the English version (aka European release) of the game the week it came out. Played all the way through 3 times without any quest ending bugs at all. I read about all these problems to expect yet I never had any. Instead of worrying about having something happen to you if you play why not just try the game and see what happens? Its a fun game, better than 2 I would say but still not as good as 1. Don't miss out though just because something may happen.

right on, stop crying all. the game is good and playable.

I agree; I've only had one glitch, an NPC I was looking for as part of an incidental quest, has fallen through the world and disappeared!! I'm still running the 08 patch!!

This is one of my favorite all time games. I have played for months with no problems. It may hve CTD ~5 times but that's less than most. I even bought an 8800gts just for it. What a difference! I think this game far exceeds Oblivion in goodness. I hate being spoon fed everyting ala Oblivion. This game makes you study the map and remember what you were told by NPC's.

And by the way, playing a game with the walkthrough every step of the way is just wrong anyway. Stop letting other people determine what equals a good game for you. If I had listened to anybody, I wouldn't have been enjoying G3 for the last 4 months.

I always though that PB had said it would be a thrilogy? At one time, at least.

When asked if PB had planned having a trilogy from the beginning, Bjorn Pankratz answered:-

[No, not at all. But after Gothic 1 and at the beginning of the second game, the term "triology" was just a thought, as things went on. Nevertheless, we still aren't stopping.]

Also KaiRo said in an interview which work PB is working on....

[Our time is engaged by four projects now: Finishing Gothic 3, working on the Editor, planning future projects and restructurising the company itself. Since we can't divide ourselves into four parts we need to prioritise. And on top of that list is still the first point, finishing the game.]

So together, "we still aren't stopping" and "planning future projects" sounds like something is the pipeline. I agree as yet it might not be G4, but if it isn't, what could it be? :cool:

Back
Top Bottom