Suggestion: You guys should have a chat box!

Whoever wants to chat can always use mIRC.
I don't see any reason to dumb down a site that already has a forum with such stuff. Then again, I'm the minority who plays games on PC, not on the phone.

One star (terrible) goes to this thread from me.

As a whole Watch and Codex cater to slightly different demographics. Doesn't mean either side is right or wrong. I do find Watch to have a much higher ratio of people with lower tolerance for BS. Doesn't mean people don't enjoy some of the threads over there.

I look at it this way. .. If I have 1 hour per day to spend on forums. . I will choose to go where the is a higher ratio of positive threads. If I have to dig for something I consider relevant, I feel my hour slipping away that much faster. Sometimes I start reading a 20 page thread at Codex and then get bogged down in the name slinging, memes, and 13 pages of people arguing about my pet pony.
I do admire the activity and exposure a well written article recieves there. Regardless of the responses haha.

What's valuable about a chat box is talking to other members toward which you only interact formally, it feels like you're relaxing at the bar and having fun in their company, and you see them in a different light. I enjoyed talking to Crispy in this fashion, among others. The chat box allows you to easily drop into such a conversation any time you want to.

I have only joined one other forum in my 24 years of using the internet, which has nothing to do with Video games or computers.

They added a chat box to the site, at first was fun but quickly just became a bashing box.

Could it work like fly paper for the bashers and trolls? ;)

If so it may it clean up the reset of the forums, or it could have the opposite effect to promote bad posting. Any experimental evidence?

I would wager that it would have a negative effect in the long term, but in the short term be fun.

If I want to chat with anyone, I use Skype which I keep open 24/7 for messages. Who needs anything else?!! :)

I don't think its a bad idea at all. Its certainly better than "like" and "dislike".

when I was on facebook I rarely used it except on occaision and I think that was the same for most as I thought it would be terrible and it wasn't. However, it was nice to get a pop up hello once in a while so its nice.

I notice now FB has co-opted their private messages into it so its hard to read your messages without a bunch of garbage chat log in it.

An actual good idea from the Codex for once? Hell has frozen over.

I think the chat boxes are pointless. They take people away from the actual forum which is where you want people to chat.

Back
Top Bottom