plan to notify online friends of your sudden death

Remus

Antihero
Do you have plan to notify your online buddies in case of your sudden death? With the popularity and expansion of virtual communities and various tools for online communications (MySpace, Twitter); there is this interesting need of an online services to notify your far away internet buddies if something happened to you and never show up again online:

NEW YORK - When Jerald Spangenberg collapsed and died in the middle of a quest in an online game, his daughter embarked on a quest of her own: to let her father's gaming friends know that he hadn't just decided to desert them.

It wasn't easy, because she didn't have her father's "World of Warcraft" password and the game's publisher couldn't help her. Eventually, Melissa Allen Spangenberg reached her father's friends by asking around online for the "guild" he belonged to.

With online social networks becoming ever more important in our lives, they're also becoming an important element in our deaths. Spangenberg, who died suddenly from an abdominal aneurysm at 57, was unprepared, but others are leaving detailed instructions. There's even a tiny industry that has sprung up to help people wrap up their online contacts after their deaths.

When Robert Bryant's father died last year, he left his son a little black USB flash drive in a drawer in his home office in Lawton, Okla. It was underneath a cup his son had once given him for his birthday. The drive contained a list of contacts for his son to notify, including the administrator of an online group he had been in.

Read the rest here

A really good idea, imho.

If I suddenly die, this site is kinda doomed. So let's just hope that doesn't happen :)

If I suddenly die, this site is kinda doomed. So let's just hope that doesn't happen :)

onion_msn_emotions_26.jpg

Its true..when some regular suddenly dissapears we may never know why he/she left. For example i still wonder what became to a online buddy of mine. We played Jedi knight 1 together in many clans @ internet gaming zone for 2 or 3 years. His email adress is long gone that I know, but I like to belive he isn't dead either. Nonetheless after one summer break I never got to see him again online. Its sad how easily you can lose touch. Hopefully you are well mate.

Sometime online friends just disappear - some with a note, some without. A very good online friend of mine disappeared after telling people that she would, back in... ummm... 2001?
And after her final message that she would leave the net she actually was gone. Her email addy was still up for a time, but she never replied to mails or PMs after that.
Two other online friends of mine vanished without a notice; all three were either (officially) bipolar or borderline folks.
I hope they are happy, wherever they may be.
Cheers!
:bigcry::iloveyou::smitten::wings::glomp::hug:

I lost touch with all of my SWG friends. There are one in particular who I used to talk with almost daily for 3 years that simply vanished after getting some health issues.

I often wonder what happened to Val!!

I wonder about Val on occasion as well. What about Pinnen and Lintra and dzd? Ah, the old days...

There was also the guy that started the Gothic RPG thread, don't know his name anymore. Haven't seen him either anymore :(

I have to say, this is a very small problem.

First of all the dead person has nothing to worry about.

Second of all online only friends are just not so close, and it is quite usual for a person to dissapear from an online community. I guess it is even better people though they left instead of being sad about their death. If you should have some closer online friends they'd also know some contact info or enough info about you to be informed about your death.

If I suddenly die, this site is kinda doomed. So let's just hope that doesn't happen
O M G you are the only one with the sacred passwords??

That and he PAYS all the running costs associated with this site!!

Myrthos is not allowed to die. If necessary, someone will just have to reanimate him. Though I'm not sure how well a zombie would do writing code and stuff...

When I die I will get 50k NOK from my insurance company, don't suppose I'll be able to get them in advance?

There was this guy here on RPGWatch who tried making the RPGing work too, he said he'd be back, he did, but then he disappeared... What's his name ?
Titus said:
There was also the guy that started the Gothic RPG thread, don't know his name anymore. Haven't seen him either anymore

>.>

<.<

'Sup.

I agree with Pladio, I will happily jump aboard again :) a lot less smilies but they mean just as much :p

Long time no seen? where have you been?

With 10's of 1000's of people logging onto my old server and 6000+ registered in my old NWN forum I was bound to get a few people dying.

I had a few in a few car accidents, a few meet up, and few even start dating - one couple even got married.

Then we got our first announcement of someone actually passing away. The person posting was apparently a girl's brother and they got a lot of condolences in that thread until his sister showed up and explained how the rumours were greatly exaggerated.

I would have banned the guy but it wouldn't have been fair to his sister to ban her for his stupidity - and it was just a practical joke. There was no real harassment going on.

I also lost contact with a few online friends, and I took pretty bad* when I realised that I will most probably never meet them again. I mean, it's almost as if they were... dead.

*Like, really bad, in at least one case...

I wonder about Val on occasion as well. What about Pinnen and Lintra and dzd? Ah, the old days...

Somehow, I still believe that one day they (and others) will find their way here. Let's hope so.

Khass said:

*looks at watch* Well, it's about time! So, when are we restarting the RPG thread?

Heh, good to see you, Khass, welcome back. :)

Back
Top Bottom