Company of Heroes 2 26 DLC Packs!

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I came across this on bluenews that just boggles the mind. The soon to be released Company of Heroes 2 has 26 dlc packs!!!!

Tomorrow is the global launch date for Company of Heroes 2, Relic's military real-time strategy game sequel. Since it's already tomorrow in some territories like Australia, the Company of Heroes 2 website is tracking the progress of the game's release. This is also reflected on Steam News and the Steam page for the game also reveals an eye-opening amount of DLC, 26 packs in all (thanks nin), offering the chance to buy up to $55.74 in add-on tactics and skins for the $59.99 game, though these are all available as a $40 upgrade.

You said it. If DLC had a bad name name before then this certainly won't help.

I was very interested in this game but they are not getting money from me, I don't want to support this kind of DLC policy + acording to previews games is pretty much same as first one.I might buy it on sale one day, until than there are other RTS that are just as good or better and without idiotic DLC policy.

26?
Are they trying to beat Sims3 record?

Oh, Relic, how deep have you fallen since the great "Homeworld" !!!

I doubt Relic had anything to do with that decision.
Definitely Sega's since Creative Assembly has been doing the same thing since becoming part of them. Must be standard practice.:)

Or it could be Relic's as they need the money after THQ went under who knows.:greedy:

Definitely Sega's since Creative Assembly has been doing the same thing since becoming part of them. Must be standard practice.:)

Or it could be Relic's as they need the money after THQ went under who knows.:greedy:

I doubt any developer really want to split their work up like that. It's just a standard part of any contract these days, I'd imagine.

If it's cosmetic stuff, I really don't mind, but won't buy it (unless it is in the form of a heavily discounted complete pack). Give the art team something to do before the next game.
If they decide to give us new units & such, like they did with CoH 1 but, without adding any additional campaigns, then I might be interested in buying it in the form of DLC. After all, CoH is one of those games that I've quite enjoyed playing with my friends, and more variety is always a good thing.
If it is in the form of more powerful stuff, then I will mind. But as long as it remains entirely optional, I don't think it is such a big deal.

If it's cosmetic stuff, I really don't mind, but won't buy it (unless it is in the form of a heavily discounted complete pack). Give the art team something to do before the next game.
If they decide to give us new units & such, like they did with CoH 1 but, without adding any additional campaigns, then I might be interested in buying it in the form of DLC. After all, CoH is one of those games that I've quite enjoyed playing with my friends, and more variety is always a good thing.
If it is in the form of more powerful stuff, then I will mind. But as long as it remains entirely optional, I don't think it is such a big deal.
Over half is cosmetic, some are cheats,and some is cut content only available with preorders. It's a smorgasbord of dlc.

<shrug> Inflation happens. Gamers throw a fit if the price goes over $60, though, so publishers are playing hide-the-price-tag. Eventually some brave soul will actually charge $99 for a game and people will buy it "just to avoid the DLC hassle."

Looking at the list 22/26 are skins and textures - i.e. 'Horse Armor'. Throwaway stuff that if people want to buy, fine.

But the first 4 are actual commanders with specific tactics - in other words things that impact gameplay. THAT is where stuff starts to bother me.

But even if we're talking skins and textures - it's still such an obvious way of trying to hustle people.

Sure, if you're informed and you know exactly what you want - you can avoid buying them. But lots of gamers don't really know exactly what they want - and many will end up buying something they expect to be worth the price.

These things put such a high demand on the consumer and makes the process of buying the right product almost a strategy game in itself.

I just hate that bullshit. I guess that's just me, though.

But even if we're talking skins and textures - it's still such an obvious way of trying to hustle people.

It is, but sadly it works ... and because of the success of these DLC packs on consoles they have spread and become even MORE popular on mobile devices, which are now very often making much more money as 'free' games than they ever could by charging!

More and more we hear developers saying that $60/$50 console/PC games are unsustainable from a cost standpoint ... so they sell DLC to augment their bottom line.

Apparently from the point of view of publishers they feel people would rather pay $60 and then tack on $$ in DLC than pay $75 up front. Personally I would rather get a game where I know that - unlike in Dragon Age 2 - anyone selling me stuff is talking about in-game currency and not trying to trick me into spending additional real money. But as we all know, we represent a minority opinion.

50, 60, 90, 100… Guys what are you talking about?
IMO all of those are still acceptable prices. But we're not getting that. We're getting this (click on "SEE ALL" for the total):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/47890

That's not 100. But a bit more.

50, 60, 90, 100… Guys what are you talking about?
IMO all of those are still acceptable prices. But we're not getting that. We're getting this (click on "SEE ALL" for the total):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/47890

That's not 100. But a bit more.

But here you have the option to not buy the stuff. And yes, I'm unhappy about the tactics thing, but the cosmetic things are things that I would not really use anyway, so if they sell them in the form of DLC, instead of selling the game for 10€ more, then I'm fine with that.

Believe it or not Sims 3 is not worst of them all when it comes to DLC.Train simulator has 95 DLCs(it's possible they added more by now)in total worth of 2033 $.
Train Simulator is a bit of a special case though. A lot of the DLC is not actually made by the people who made Train Simulator, but rather by other companies/people. And this is why we have such an insane amount of DLC for that game.

Believe it or not Sims 3 is not worst of them all when it comes to DLC.Train simulator has 95 DLCs(it's possible they added more by now)in total worth of 2033 $.

O_O

Things like this should be declared illegal.
2K for one game, OMG

Back
Top Bottom