2012 NHL Playoffs

Lucky Day

Daywatch
And we're off

At least tomorrow. How shall we do it? Name your teams and guess the score?

First Round Matchups
Code:
1) NYR vs. 8) OTT     1) VAN vs. 8) LA

2) BOS vs. 7) WSH     2) STL vs. 7) SJ

3) FLA vs. 6) NJ      3) PHX vs. 6) CHI

4) PIT vs. 5) PHI     4) NSH vs. 5) DET

In other news the draft lottery is today (April 10)

Well, in round 1 we usually just pick a team, but I'll add in number of games just in case.
NY in 6; Bos in 6; NJ in 5; Pit in 7
Van in 6; Stl in 7; Chi in 6; Det in 5

Since I kinda dropped the ball last year, I'm glad somebody else is running this show this time.

Rags in 5
Bruins in 5
Devils in 6
Crosbys in 7
Canuckles in 7
Sharkies in 7
Hawks in 5
RED WINGS in 6 (5 of 6 games won by 1 goal)

Rangers in 6
Caps in 7
NJ in 6
Pits in 5
Vancs in 6
SJ in 6
Hawks in 6
Wings in 6

1) NYR vs. 8) OTT 1) VAN vs. 8) LA

2) BOS vs. 7) WSH 2) STL vs. 7) SJ

3) FLA vs. 6) NJ 3) PHX vs. 6) CHI

4) PIT vs. 5) PHI 4) NSH vs. 5) DET

Rangers in 4
Bruins (yuck!) in 5
Panthers in 6
Penguins in 5
Blues in 5
Dogs in 6
Preds in 7
and my Canuckies in 6

If they don't sweep LA it will be a long one. The loss of Richards and the injury to Carter hurts them more than Daniel being out. Henrik is playing hurt but no one will confirm that, but he always steps it up when is brother is out.

I have a feeling about Florida and once again I'm predicting the Wings aren't the team they used to be. The difference this post season is the Preds are.

Deets, what was our scoring in the past for predicting the score?

You can do it however you want. In fact, I encourage you to make your own way. I generally tried to have roughly the same number of points available in each round, but that's not real easy coming up with a way to balance 8 series with 1 series without making the finals round a "get the team right or your first 3 rounds don't matter" situation.

Normally, for the first round I give 2 points for the team and 1 point for the number of games. In round 2, I think I did 3 points for the team, 2 points for the number of games, and 1 bonus point for getting both correct. Each round added another "category" of possible points. I don't know, I've slept since then, Lucky... ;) Actually, come to think of it, I think round 1 was strictly a "pick the team", and number of games was the extra category added for round 2.

Doesn't really matter. The most important decision is always the prize. Since you're running the show, it's your problem this year ;) . I hear that Bettman has already claimed Cindy Crosby's box of maxipads and stashed it under his pillow...

Allright…

Eastern Conference
Rangers over Senators in 6
Boston over Washington in 6
New Jersey over Florida in 7
Flyers over Pens in 7

Western Conference
Vancouver over LA in 5
Blues over the Sharks in 7
Blackhawks over Coyotes in 6
Red Wings over Predators in 7

What's the over/under on how many fights will be in the Philly-Pitt series? ;)

There weren't any last night. Pretty polite it seemd to me. But what a game! It showed that the Pens don't know how to trap. Here's a question - with Crosby's return is that going to hold back Malkin?

oh and..stupid Canucks!

--

Ok deets, you want me to do it then? You Wings fans get really bent out of shape when your team gets eliminated. You are turning into what Oilers fans were. Oilers fans are finally turning into Islanders fans are IMO.

The year I did it I came up with a formula where each round doubled the number of points you get for picking the winning teams. It meant 8 points per round so each round was theoretically equal to the last. I've done that system twice now and in practice I don't find it working.

i'll try to use your system where we guess the wins. Who plays tonight lesse..
BOS, WAS, NY, OTT, SJ, STL,..

weird NJ, FLA start their series tomorrow.

Well, after last night, I'd say the prize ought to be Shea Weber's Rey Mysterio mask.

Well, after last night, I'd say the prize ought to be Shea Weber's Rey Mysterio mask.

I agree. Only a $2500.00 fine, what a joke. That's like fining me $25, it just doesn't matter. Hopefully the wings pull the series out but I don't feel very confident.

So far none of the first round games have been shown here; I'm NOT happy about that at all!! :(

I agree. Only a $2500.00 fine, what a joke. That's like fining me $25, it just doesn't matter. Hopefully the wings pull the series out but I don't feel very confident.

there was some rule in the CBA regarding that as the maximum fine. Did Weber not get tossed from the game?

The Bitz check was from the side and the King player just happen to get the glass. It was a good hockey hit and a bogus major call. That and the phantom call on Kesler which ultimately lead to a 5on3 cost us the game. Bitz being a nobody will likely be getting suspended if the blogosphere has any input.

If we can find a way to be more disciplined and keep the refs off our back we can probably beat LA's trap.

I wasn't even aware they lost until I saw your post. I had completely forgotten about the late game last night.

Definitely surprising, but I still think Vancouver takes it in 6.

you must live on the East coast

So far none of the first round games have been shown here; I'm NOT happy about that at all!! :(

you could try to proxy a Canadian IP to get it on CBC but I found those slow.

Have you tried the Centre Ice internet streaming package? Also, my brother in Canada has a US subscription to DISH Network using a 3rd party receiver. They are ok with that (why wouldn't they be :) ) so long as Roger's or Shaw doesn't find out.

Most of those things are not available down here. I frequently come across video's I can't watch because 'they are unavailable for your country or region'!! I wouldn't know how to proxy a foreign IP.

there was some rule in the CBA regarding that as the maximum fine. Did Weber not get tossed from the game?
Yep, $2500 is the max per the CBA. Weber did his donkey play after the final horn. He was given a 2 minute roughing at the 20:00 mark. There's so many things wrong with him not getting a suspension that I can hardly count them (blow to the head, intent to injure, action after the horn, repeat offender, and the list goes on). In my mind, it's a case of Bettman protecting his southern expansion team and screwing the Wings all in one move. He's probably wiping goo off his ceiling. The only good thing I can see is that the Wings have historically done a good job of getting mad at this sort of nonsense. When they play mad, they play hard, and when they play hard, they just don't lose very much. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

Yep, $2500 is the max per the CBA. Weber did his donkey play after the final horn. He was given a 2 minute roughing at the 20:00 mark. There's so many things wrong with him not getting a suspension that I can hardly count them (blow to the head, intent to injure, action after the horn, repeat offender, and the list goes on). In my mind, it's a case of Bettman protecting his southern expansion team and screwing the Wings all in one move. He's probably wiping goo off his ceiling. The only good thing I can see is that the Wings have historically done a good job of getting mad at this sort of nonsense. When they play mad, they play hard, and when they play hard, they just don't lose very much. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

brendan shanahan decided fines and suspensions.

Maybe he didn't want to look like a homer. Here's an article and video of the hit. The article is rightly pretty hard on shanehan.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1143748-2012-stanley-cup-playoffs-shea-weber-and-brendan-shanahans-wimp-call

Just let me enjoy my conspiracy theory. ;) I do have a hard time believing the Shanny would pooch this one that badly, given the fairly good job he's done this year, particularly compared to Campbell's Wheel of Justice.

I agree with you DTE about Shanny.
Anyways, I am looking forward to Sunday as I will be attending my first Red Wing playoff game with my boys. Go Wings!

I agree with you DTE about Shanny.
Anyways, I am looking forward to Sunday as I will be attending my first Red Wing playoff game with my boys. Go Wings!
You dog! Take a deep breath of playoff Joe air for me.

Well hopefully the Wings will have a 2-1 series lead by the time you leave.

The Pens just got hammered... they've given up 12 goals in their first two games. Kind of funny to see them falling apart now...

Back
Top Bottom