Risen 2 - Cinematic Trailer

Somewhat a tangent but I'd love to see a CRPG using Meso America (Aztec, Maya, Toltec etc.) as a cultural backdrop with magic and rain forests.

I recall a crpg that came out a few years ago that was based on the Mayans it didn't sell well. Maybe someone else remembers the name?

How about a game world where Humans are almost extinct??? How about a game you can't play as a human? You can take the basic Tolkien world and play with it. What if elves are the great evil race and Orcs are good natured and easily victimized? Hell, what if you are a member of an evil race and you play a "supposedly evil" character trying to save his/her people? I dunno, ANYTHING.

There are a few free to play mmo's that allow you to play in those settings but I never was interested in them.

Couchpotato, no setting will hold a game together if all other aspects of it fail.
The fact that an RPG based on Mayans, for example, didn't sell, doesn't necessarily mean that a Mayan setting is utterly hopeless... there can be dozens of reasons why that game failed. Not to mention that the setting itself might not have been well made either.

After all I'm sure you can name a lot of games with a standard elves-and-wizards fantasy setting that weren't any good as well.

Couchpotato, no setting will hold a game together if all other aspects of it fail.
The fact that an RPG based on Mayans, for example, didn't sell, doesn't necessarily mean that a Mayan setting is utterly hopeless… there can be dozens of reasons why that game failed. Not to mention that the setting itself might not have been well made either.

After all I'm sure you can name a lot of games with a standard elves-and-wizards fantasy setting that weren't any good as well.

I agree but as stated I would love to play new settings and game worlds. I never said a mayan game wouldn't sell just saying I remember one that came out. Seems the industry thinks we love to play as just humans in a rehashed lord of the ring ripoffs, or there to lazy to try something new.

Somewhat a tangent but I'd love to see a CRPG using Meso America (Aztec, Maya, Toltec etc.) as a cultural backdrop with magic and rain forests.

Yes, that's a good idea, too.

The only way to play one is the game called "Aztaka".

They aren't lazy, Couchpotato, they are scared. A lot of people want to play as themselves in these games. If you make them play as somebody that they can't make look like themselves then you had better make it somebody they wish they could be - or better yet just cover them up in power armor or something. If you don't, you're going to lose sales. Lots of sales? Who knows - but it's a risk and big game companies do do risky things.

Been done, sorta - the game was called Anito - Defend a land Enraged

http://www.amazon.com/Anito-Defend-..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302933951&sr=1-1

it was an indie game developed by Philippine designers based on a fantasy 16th century Asia but mostly comes across as early mesoamerica. My hard drive crashed about half way through the game and I never got back to it.

oh, the Risen trailer was awesome but for some reason I was rooting for the pirate. The protagonist came across as a jerk to me.

Back
Top Bottom