The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Corwin and Leywind- we ran Lordsmarch over the weekend and took level 15. Most of us have alts that can, and will, run Lordsmarch with your toons to make sure you stay on track. That was a clear part of "the deal" before we ran. I believe both of you already hold level 15, so it's not technically mandatory for you to run the quests, but there's the potential for good loot so it might be worth your time anyway.

Finding a time when you are online will be the tricky part, especially for Leywind who is now back at work. I like the loot from that series, so I want to run it. Plus I enjoy it as well!! :)

Worst case, we'll run that series first thing on Friday.

I have the Assault On Stormreach ( aka Lordsmarch part II ) pack since the waning days of 2012.

Marks are a pain. It is easier to buy the astra diamonds and use those to get the marks right at the cauldron. They show up to buy at the bottom of the list. And are really cheap all things considered.

Marks are a pain. It is easier to buy the astra diamonds and use those to get the marks right at the cauldron. They show up to buy at the bottom of the list. And are really cheap all things considered.
Yep. Get the marks you can from a run or two. Buy the rest you need fer cheap.

Thank you. Didn't know that.

When we have our LM2 guild runs we usually get a mark or two per group per quest. We can then easily forward those marks to those who need them. So if you join our guld runs you have a better chance getting unique loot.

It's looking like I'll be about an hour late to the show on Friday.

Hey guys, long time lurker here.

Is there anyone who wouldnt mind sparing me some time to explain some things about the D&D rules to me? I am an experienced mmorpger (DaoC and WoW) but all that experience means nothing in DDO it seems.

I didn't want to barge in here as a stranger, derail and ask for help, but most people I've met in-game are pretty elitist and no one responds to me in /advice.

Of course I will take it to PM's or perhaps skype with the RPGWATCHER willing to help.

Thanks in advance!

BBQ

You'll get more help than you can stand... ;)

Ask away. We can offer advice from beginner to guru and much of it will even be good. You can ask in this thread here, or you can go to the more generic DDO thread in our MMO forum, here. Totally up to you.

So I've been doing these Winter Festival and Ice Skating games. I've got 1000 motes so far. I've been eyeing that polar bear cub pet for 10000 motes...have a ways to go. What is the benefit of a pet? Do they fight with you or is it just for looks?

Also whoever designed that jumping/flying/skiing portion of the game in the harbor needs to jump off one of those cliffs...it is an extremely aggravating experience. I'm only doing it for the eternal wand ray of frost(done) and that bear cub.
Side note: Ray of frost is pretty weak and ddowiki says you can add glaciation + xx to it but going to the alter doesnt allow you to do it?!

Hey guys, long time lurker here.

Is there anyone who wouldnt mind sparing me some time to explain some things about the D&D rules to me? I am an experienced mmorpger (DaoC and WoW) but all that experience means nothing in DDO it seems.

I didn't want to barge in here as a stranger, derail and ask for help, but most people I've met in-game are pretty elitist and no one responds to me in /advice.

Of course I will take it to PM's or perhaps skype with the RPGWATCHER willing to help.

Thanks in advance!

BBQ

Welcome and Hi.

The DDO ruleset is (loosely) based on the 3.5 Edition of Dungeons and Dragons. This was released as OGL content, so you can actually bone up on the core rules by going to www.d20srd.org.

DDO itself has diverged from that quite a bit, but it's still a good read.

Most of the major differences are behind the scenes, but some of the major ones center around changing to-hit rolls, TWF off hand attacks, AC, and some other things from a roll D20 vs target system to a % based system. Some races are a bit different, mostly Pay-to-play ones. Monk, a pay-to-play class, is also considerably different from it's PnP incarnation.

The thing about DDO, and D&D, is that you can make a wide variety of builds, many completely unplayable, if you're not careful. To that end, I'd highly suggest getting the DDO character planner http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/. Very useful. Another useful link is the http://ddowiki.com/. Warning, spoilers galore.

If you're on the Khyber server, you can hop in the guild, and we can help you in game. Depending on level we may even have someone in your level range. Someone is usually starting a new alt or reincarnating an old one. List your characters here, so one of the officers can add you.

Now, what is it exactly you're having trouble with?

You'll get more help than you can stand… ;)

Ask away. We can offer advice from beginner to guru and much of it will even be good. You can ask in this thread here, or you can go to the more generic DDO thread in our MMO forum, here. Totally up to you.

Welcome and Hi.

The DDO ruleset is (loosely) based on the 3.5 Edition of Dungeons and Dragons. This was released as OGL content, so you can actually bone up on the core rules by going to www.d20srd.org.

DDO itself has diverged from that quite a bit, but it's still a good read.

Most of the major differences are behind the scenes, but some of the major ones center around changing to-hit rolls, TWF off hand attacks, AC, and some other things from a roll D20 vs target system to a % based system. Some races are a bit different, mostly Pay-to-play ones. Monk, a pay-to-play class, is also considerably different from it's PnP incarnation.

The thing about DDO, and D&D, is that you can make a wide variety of builds, many completely unplayable, if you're not careful. To that end, I'd highly suggest getting the DDO character planner http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/. Very useful. Another useful link is the http://ddowiki.com/. Warning, spoilers galore.

Thanks. Found the other thread too, but it seems to be pretty inactive.

Also forget to mention, I am thank god not totally unfamiliar with D&D. Neverwinter Nights 1/2 and the Baldur's Gate saga has kept me busy for many many many hours. :D

Currently I'm a first lifer level 7 Human Paladin splashed with a rogue level. Took Hunter of the Dead for the healing amp according to this guide. I assume he knows what he is talking about.

DPS

How does one raise dps? All the weapons I find in chests seem to be carbon copies of eachother. +1/2 enchantment and/or some form of elemental damage.

At level 7 I am running Delera's Tomb over and over for experience and the unique loot. Mostly I want the axe since people seem to swear by it. Already have the voice trinket.

I swear my dps hasn't changed one bit from when I was level 2 and smacking kobolts about. I even raised my STR to 20 through gear and the 1 bonus point. Still hitting around the 20~30 range.

Power Attack/Cleave of course.

I'm going to have a pretty bad time if this keeps up.

Wont even mention the brief stint on Hard. That really was a rude experience.

Evasion Paladin pointless?

Second question is about the survival build that I am running. I did part 1 of Delera's solo at level 6 without hireling. Won't say it was easy, but I managed. Though it send me running and swearing off that place until I had Ghost Touch from my Hunter line. I was pretty proud of my paladin for being able to solo that.

At level 7 I came back for more with my Mace +2 (for the skeleton archers). Took such a beating that I ran back to entrance and summoned my emergency mistress to heal me. Then I blasted through the place, which made my paladin feel useless since I choose to sacrifice dps for survival/self healing when I can get a cheap level 3 hireling and destroy the place with pure dps.

Another point is the beating I took from huge mobs. Already I take such a beating that I need to have a hireling to heal me since selfhealing gets me nowhere, but it will only get worse at level 8 when I switch out my heavy armor for light to activate Evasion. I really don't see the point to survive a fireball to the face only to be cut down by the 5 melee buddies.

Several times I was tempted to just roll a pure monk and go everywhere with a hireling. Only thing currently holding me back are all the nice things Hunter of the Dead gives me. (And Lay on Hands if I am completely honest) Perma Ghost Touch? Immune to fear? Immune to level drain?

I will most likely want to kill myself as monk when I start running into things that drain me. Or the changing of wraps whenever I meet a wraith.

If you're on the Khyber server, you can hop in the guild, and we can help you in game. Depending on level we may even have someone in your level range. Someone is usually starting a new alt or reincarnating an old one. List your characters here, so one of the officers can add you.

Thanks for your offer azraelck, but I will decline for now. Though I will probably love the social aspect of a friendly guild, I am playing from europe. The time difference would keep any social interaction to a minimum.

I admit I only registered to ask you these questions. I try not be one of 'those' who only come running when there is something that benefits me and joining you guys on Khyber will make me feel like a douche. :D

BBQ

We do have some Euro players in the Guild with Peter and Alrik being the most regular. There's also some Aussies and West Coasters, so we cover a broad time frame when you can team up with someone. Most of us dislike Paladins, except Peter who plays nothing else despite what his character class says!! :) You'd actually find that running any quest with even one of us would help you tremendously. At level 7 most of us can run Delera on Elite with a single hireling. You'd also find our Guild ship buffs very helpful. Being in the Guild would also tell you who else from here is online when you log in and most of us are happy to help out someone else as much as we can.

You'd actually find that running any quest with even one of us would help you tremendously. At level 7 most of us can run Delera on Elite with a single hireling.
He's not intending that as elitist--once you know the quests, they are FAR easier to run and we've been running them for almost 3 years now. Delera, in particular, we've run dozens of times across many, many toons. When new areas come out or we run quests we usually ignore, we have to be careful or we can have full party wipes, even with characters that are on their 2nd or 3rd life, load up on guild ship buffs, and have excellent gear saved up.

I understand your struggles, though. I tried very hard in the beginning to play DDO as a solo game with a couple of my toons. I'm just anti-social by nature. It really doesn't work out. It would be nearly impossible for a melee type without a pocket healer (cleric hireling) - the self heal from a paladin or ranger simply isn't good enough to get the job done. Az has a couple exploiter builds that do better than most, usually by maxing UMD so he can use healing wands and scrolls, but even those toons have to use certain tactics to have any hope of making it work.

You'll get better dps abilities as you get to higher level. For now, the things you list are pretty much the right things to be doing. Paladins will never be kings of dps (except in a few specific situations), so you're a little limited on that front before you even get started. In a few more levels, you'll get access to more weapons with better effects- greater banes, smiting, disruption, banishing, paralyzing. That's when you can really start racking up some damage. For now, carry a golf bag of weapons with different enhancements (fire, cold, acid, ghost touch, holy, ect) and swap them regularly to take advantage of certain monster weaknesses (using cold weapons on fire elementals, and fire on trolls, and such).

As was mentioned earlier, a character planner is a VERY good idea. DDO will let you do many things with character builds, and most of those end up being bad ideas. "Window shopping" feats and enhancements when you level up will lead to a glorious mess and many times you won't even know what you've missed (if you don't show unavailable, you don't even see feats/enhancements where you missed a pre-req). Spend some quality time with that character planner that Az linked. It's really worth the time you'll spend.

Everyone, thanks for your advice so far.

I'll give everything a serious thought. Was under the impression that solo'ing was a very doable thing, even encouraged seeing the sad state of pug groups at the moment. On Thelanis at least.

Going to fiddle around with the provided links and see if I can get some sort of 'quality of life' character going who isn't too gimped.

Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
You'd actually find that running any quest with even one of us would help you tremendously. At level 7 most of us can run Delera on Elite with a single hireling.

He's not intending that as elitist—once you know the quests, they are FAR easier to run and we've been running them for almost 3 years now. Delera, in particular, we've run dozens of times across many, many toons.

No worries, not taken that way. I fear that the gap in power between veterans and first lifers are too wide to bridge and I end up running after everyone doing nothing and in the end, ruining the experience of an adventure.

Cheers!

Some of us regularly still run first lifers; I have a level 8 one currently, as well as two more at higher levels. We're all on Khyber though, not Thelanis.

Back
Top Bottom