Fallout: New Vegas - Newsweek's 25 Best Mods

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
PCgamer offered up their picks for the 25 best mods for Fallout: New Vegas. I did not expect to see these kinds of lists for at least another month or so, but it seems like we have some busy bees out there.
#25 Looks to me as the best out of the bunch next to Fellout. I'll be using this one on my next playthrough if it's compatible with Arwen's mod.
25. Wasteland Unlocked
This is an esp file packaged with Black Company's Harder Hardcore pack. It's a giant set of modular esp files that tweak enormous amounts of entities, so I won't recommend you just use them all if you're using some of the mods I've recommended so far, for fear of conflicts.
Just use WastelandUnlocked.esp, and if you don't mind a smarter AI, use SettingsTweaks.esp too. It'll open up the wasteland like never before, adding monsters and wild animals that you'd normally only find at really high levels, spawning rare high level items (or just trash) in dumpsters, and lowering the level requirements for many recipes that'll help you cope with the newfound threat. It also removes lots of stimpaks from the world and replaces them with the bits to make new ones.
More information.

Last edited:
...because Newsweek is the leading source for Fallout mods.... LOLWUT?!?!?!

No, but the modders are sure cranking out the mods faster than I expected.

That's because in most cases, porting FO3 mods to New Vegas is a 5 minute job.

Awesome. So we can expect to see some of the better mods out there relatively quickly :)

Like, Fellout….not sure how long it took them the first time to do that, but this time around it's available almost immediatly. Loved that mod.

I don't suppose MMM is going to be as easy to port though. I don't care about adding in all the extra monsters this time. There are plenty enough to go around, but I would like the ghoul multiplier. Always loved going into a building and then hearing dozens of ghouls screaming for the kill.

The link goes to PCGamer for me. I was unimpressed with his list, but he writes fairly well. I don't think I'm using any of his 25 in my game, though I have 10 or so mods installed for my first runs. The mod that boosts the 3 tagged skills would have been nice, because they really don't start much higher than non-tagged skills in vanilla.

Awesome. So we can expect to see some of the better mods out there relatively quickly :)

Like, Fellout….not sure how long it took them the first time to do that, but this time around it's available almost immediatly. Loved that mod.

I don't suppose MMM is going to be as easy to port though. I don't care about adding in all the extra monsters this time. There are plenty enough to go around, but I would like the ghoul multiplier. Always loved going into a building and then hearing dozens of ghouls screaming for the kill.
The mods that you'll have to wait for are the ones that use special scripts. Until a New Vegas version of FOSE (OBSE for Oblivion) comes out, they can't be ported.

The thread topic is still incorrect but the text in the post is correct now. I don't think it's a big deal either way. We get to the article just fine.

A lot of mods were released so fast because their authors treat the game like it´s the same game as Fallout 3 without giving it sufficient playtime/testing, which is especially obvious with more complex ones like Arwen´s Tweaks or Wasteland Unlocked. Fellout greatly improved Fallout 3´s visual side, but the actual version for Vegas looks quite terrible. Etc. Eventually the mods will get better, but as of now these mods should be treated as early alphas and definitely not be installed for a first playthrough imo. Also, with most of the mods released this fast, there´s a good chance they´ll create new bugs in the process and with more of them installed there´ll be compatibility issues.

The game isn´t perfect, there are engine related mishaps, quest logic isn´t always airtight and it has some balance issues, but these will take more than two weeks to be ironed out.
It´s also far from being Oblivion or Fallout 3 which were mediocre at best without shitload of mods added. Moreover, features from some of the best mods for Fallout 3, like Wanderer´s Edition, Weapon Mod Kits or RH-Iron Sights, are already implemented.

Anyway, it´s everyone´s call of course, but personally I´d only recommend some leveling slowdown mod for those who plan to play the game more thoroughly and that´s about it.

I dont think most of those are the best but to each their own. I mean automatic skill perks so I automatically get all perks when I reach the requirements? Or the one that doubles the skill points or makes a guns super accurate like an FPS. Still good to have variation I suppose.

Still looking for a sprinting mod. Saw something that may have increased run speed when not carrying weapons that sounded good. And script extender has already gotten several updates so hoping some mods that use it are coming soon. I really would like CASM working again as my fallout was crashing like crazy and I had do redo stuff a lot because my autosave was too old.

Or the one that doubles the skill points

Mods like that make me scratch my head and wonder. Seriously, FO3 was already far too generous with skill points the way it was. I don't understand how some people could actually want more.

I even went as far as installing a mod that removed the 10 point bonuses received from finding the Bobbleheads.

Thanks for the heads up on the sprint mod. Really want the NVSE integration with it to avoid the toggle aspect but really better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom