Arcania - Interview @ GameSpot

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameSpot has a combination of short impressions of Arcania and then a conversation with Producer Kamal Anwar. They discuss the revised combat system, different interfaces for console and PC and, apparently, the game is in the final stages:
GameSpot: Give us an update on the game's development. What aspects is the team currently working on?

Kamaal Anwar: We're getting close to finalizing the game, actually. We've kept things a bit open to allow us to revise things over this last period if necessary. Most of that is lurking around forums and paying careful attention to the discussions in response to what's being featured by press. In addition, there is a large focus on quality assurance (QA) right now. Every remaining issue is being identified and addressed to ensure that this game runs as intended on all platforms.
They also have a new Creatures video, showing some combat sequences with a handful of monsters.
Thanks, Omega!
More information.

I watched the video.
the creatures look great and familiar :)
that is good and bad :)

I especially like the new shadowbeast design, it looks closer to Gothic I & II (minus the black smoke) than Gothic 3's version, which was rather puny and not very frightening at all. More like this than this.

The golems also look pretty cool. Hope we get to summon those guys (there has been a summon golem spell in every Gothic so far).

This looks very promising now let's hope JoWood doesn't release another beta like G3.

I'm looking foward to the Bloodfly Express just as long as it's at the G1 speed (that was fun!) and NOT the G3 version with the top speed as a slow walk.

funny it never really interested me, or I lost the interest pretty soon, but now it is getting my attention again.

So many games to play so little time.
I still have to finish the witcher, buy risen and dragon age, then their is alpha protocol and now even ArcaniA and soon maybe deus ex 3.

CM can I lend your time machine? that is the only way you keep yourself alive isn't it? :p

Nice to see a little positive reaction for this game. It gets hammered so much.

I'd like to pretend not to be interested in this, but the more I hear - the more I like it.

I'm prepared for a somewhat "casual" Gothic, but we just don't get enough games like this - so I'll take what I can get, and appreciate it ;)

@Anderson: well it didn't gave us much to be excited for.
Now it has cjanged a little, let's hope they keep it up

@Anderson: well it didn't gave us much to be excited for.
Now it has cjanged a little, let's hope they keep it up

Yeah, you're right, they didn't put out much.

I'm glad we're getting a few semi-hopeful signs. I hate to get my hopes up and then dashed, but so far, the game looks like it might be casual RPG fun.

Even I (if you recalled I bashed some design decision rather hard :p) must admit that this interview was promising.
My final judgment will be given only after I play the demo, of course, but I'm a bit more willing to give Spellbound and JoWood some credit. Just a bit, mind you.

oooops I saw the dreamcatcher logo..... that most mean the game is of dungeon lords quality!

I think i saw a Megalenia lol.
Combat looks as bad as the rest of the Gothics , why do swords have to leave a "trail" on the air ?

um, try moving your hand really fast infront of your face, i'm sure you'll see a trail? I bet that's why :p

I find the combat in the Gothic games fantastic (at least in Gothic1-2), best ever in a RPG imo, really like how it feels arcade'ish but at the same time strategic enough. The combat only sucks in the start when you can't really do any moves at all.

I love combat in G1 and 2, especially 2 where they made it quite a bit smoother. If combat is that good in G4, I'd be a happy man.

Back
Top Bottom