Zork and Police Quest

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
I had ZX Spectrum when first heard of Police Quest. For a long time I couldn`t believe such advanced gameplay was at all possible :)

I loved Sierra back when I was a kid and bought the first Police Quest right away. It was great up until the point where I had to do the filing and go to the court. My 8 or 10 year old (can't remember how long it's been) mind just couldn't figure out how to accomplish those puzzles. It was brutal in how you had to follow police procedures. From buckling up before you could start your car to stowing your gun away before you could enter a prison.

Maybe that I'm older I should give that one another try.

wow, those look terrible. Well, the one that actually has graphics, anyway. The other just sounds so incredibly boring - time to get typing and hope you get the right syntax?

Argh, I think that I'd rather watch a hard drive defrag than play either of those games!

wow, those look terrible. Well, the one that actually has graphics, anyway. The other just sounds so incredibly boring - time to get typing and hope you get the right syntax?

Argh, I think that I'd rather watch a hard drive defrag than play either of those games!

Blasphemy! Burn the infidel!

Ive tried the old crusty "adventure" experience w/ Monkey Island recently, and found it nigh intolerable on just about every level. These games make that abomination look like a work of art.

I think I might be inadvertently trolling here a little, I apologize in advance for any raised hackles, i'm not just trying to start shit.

Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry were the first games I finished. Before puberty.

I hated the driving sequences in Police Quest. Zork, on the other hand... :D

@Sammy you're nuts. Those Sierra graphics are freaking awesome :D

I guess you had to grow up on Sierra games to appreciate the really old ones like King's Quest, Space Quest and Police Quest. Although I didn't like Police Quest as much as the previous two.

Zork on the other hand I would have agreed with you 100% UNTIL I read CRPGAddicts blog on Beyond Zork.

Last edited:
Ive tried the old crusty "adventure" experience w/ Monkey Island recently, and found it nigh intolerable on just about every level. These games make that abomination look like a work of art.

I think I might be inadvertently trolling here a little, I apologize in advance for any raised hackles, i'm not just trying to start shit.

I think we've been lucky to have played these games when they were still considered good-looking. Well, to me, at least. I didn't have an Amiga 500, but a PC with a stupid monochrome Hercules card (and really cool 16-colour EGA card that could pick from a palette of 64 colours! Looked great in Space Quest IV ;)).

No, really. Imagine a time when having anything screen-filling and moving in any way at all was awesome to behold. Zoomed in faces! I was completely blown away by seeing colours that were different from the standard 16-colours in the first place.

Ah, I will never convince you…

Jesus I played and beat Return to Zork and had to use a walkthrough for like 70% of it, the puzzles are SOOOO abstract. I kind of missed out on early point and click adventures so anything more off-the-wall than Monkey Island 2's "monkey wrench" and I am just befuddled.

Back
Top Bottom