System Shock - Kickstarter Started

I played the demo as well. My impressions are it was good, but needs a lot of polish. I got stuck on a ladder, because I like to explore all the areas, and wanted to go back to this one area I skipped, and when I tried to climb the ladder, I got stuck on the ladder, and could not go up or down.

Edited: somehow, it finally let me go up the ladder. So I was able to bypass that bug.

And yea, the game seems very unoptimized. The first time I played it, my computer got so hot, that it turned off by itself. I'm not sure if it was the demo that was alone responsible, (I had a system utility program that was running all my cores for maximum performance, and I didn't know this program was doing that at the time) but it does seem buggy.

Also, when you pick up quest items, the items are not shown in your inventory. The items that you pick up should always be shown in the players inventory, even quest items that access new areas. (One of the key cards you pick up is nowhere to be found when you look for it in the inventory)

Edited: I think I now understand that the "data reader" is meant to be the players journal, and that in the demo, there is nothing available to read in the data reader.

That said, I get that this is a "pre-alpha" and is going to be rough. So I do like the general classic sci-fi atmosphere of the game, and I also like the mood music. But the zombies are too boring, I'm sorry. They need much more variety in the monsters than those boring zombies, but least the attacking robots were more interesting.

Edited: so I finished the demo. It was very short, I must say. I liked the game, but they do have a lot of work to do and polishing, and making the game more interesting, in general. I hope there are a lot of data logs to read in the finished game, and stuff that makes the story rich, multi dimensional, and not just recycled tropes either.

The feeling in the demo was too much of emptiness, and there has to be more to draw in the player. Am I going to be forever exploring lonely and empty corridors, I want to have a complex and rich story line to be interested in!

Last edited:
Yea, I read steam forums a bit and even people with stronger PC than mine complained about performance issues. I guess the pre alpha is just not optimized yet like expected.
Or it is a Unity issue which is probably going to be this game biggest downfall.

No subtitles. :/ The reason being, hopefully, this is just a pre-alpha.
If the final game won't have the subtitle option (i.e. devs confirming it within the next 29 days), I will have to cancel my pledge.

Yes, subtitles are a must.

And I looked at the rewards and goals. I decided that I will wait until I see they are going to reach some of those goals, because the game is just too bare bones right now for my taste…this is one game where I feel that reaching those kickstarter goals will be very important for the overall experience.

For example:

1.3 million goal -- "Additional locations and expanded narrative" -- this is a key goal that really should be met to flesh out the game more.

1.4 million goal -- "Updates to the core design: true rpg character leveling system"
I'm surprised this is not already in the game, this is a requirement!

These two goals have to be met at the very least for me to be interested in the end product. Then the next goal, full orchestral score, would also be very nice, and add a lot to the game's atmosphere.

I just finished playing it for awhile, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

I think they've really nailed the atmosphere, and I'm extremely happy that they've stuck so close to copying the original game exactly. I hope they keep it that way and avoid adding a bunch of new "features" just for the sake of adding them.

The demo ran very smoothly for me, but I do have a high-end system. It did use a lot of system resources though, and the fan on my GTX 980 Ti was running full blast the entire time. However, I've experienced that with every game I've played that uses the Unity engine.

The controls are almost identical to the original, but they seem to have removed the ability to go prone. You can still lean around corners in both standing and crouching positions though. I thought you could also lean forward in the original, but I might be confusing that with the controls in Thief. Overall, I thought it felt nice and tight, especially for a pre-alpha demo.

I'm absolutely backing this. I just have to decide what tier I want. This is the first game in a long time that makes me want to get a physical collector's edition.

I'm worried about them going overboard with features from the stretch goals though. System Shock wasn't an RPG, and I don't want to see them trying to shoehorn RPG features into it just to appeal to more people. I hope they can avoid straying too far from the original.

I've just never been impressed with remakes. I'd rather see something made "in the spirit of" rather than a clone with better graphics. I liked System Shock, back in the day, but it wasn't the greatest game evar. I look forward to this once it gets released and I'm glad you folks are funding this game for me, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom