Futurewars ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello, everyone,

I just found out thar Radon Labs, the makers of Drakensang, have recently made a turn-based strategy game : http://www.futurewars.de/

They claim to have gone back to the roots of the turn-based strategy genre, and that modding is very simple.

So far I haven't found any English-language web site about it.

But there appears to be a (German-language ?) Demo out there : http://www.4players.de/4players.php/download_info/Downloads/Download/54843/Future_Wars/Demo.html

Apart from that, I know nearly to nothing about it.

Alrik

Yes, I noticed that, too.

Do you mean this Future Wars game?
If that's so, it's already out in English. Its similar to Advanced Wars games for GBA/DS.

Yes, but I thought it'd be out only in Germany. Thanks for clarification.
I guess I should have researched better, but I couldn't find any English-language web site at first glance.

Okay, I played the Demo today - a tiny bit, first, due to time constraints.

It is available both in English and in German languages.

My impression : This is VERY old-school ! It begins with the music : electronic sounds, but very good to listen to. :) It reminded me very much of early game consoles.

The graphics have a distinct comic style, but are - apart from their simplicity - aesthetically good to look at. The story is told via these comic-look graphics. The style is very, very polished, not a single rough edge to see anywhere - it just looks like a cliché future console game. ;)

The story is set in a future/sci-fi settin of some sorts, but so much cliché that it is just fun ! ;)

It begins with the new recruit coming to the "Plasma Academy". ;)

I have just looked into the very first introductory "match", just to see how it "behaves". Everything looks very much like 50s or 60s Sci-Fi, and it is easy to work with. :)

However, from just the very first mission - which consists of nothing but a few moves for bloody beginners - there is nothing of a story to be seen. Plus, in this beginner's match the map is incredibly small. It is nothing but a tiny tutoral.

(Hint : a right-click on any part of the map displays some information.)

I can't say much more, but I'd say for everyone who loves to play TBS games, this demo is a "must-have" ! - At least to try it out.
The only limiting factor is that the setting is Sci-Fi.

I'm wondering how the rest of the demo looks like. :)

P.S. : The demo can be downloaded from various sites, for example from Gamershell.

... Played a bit more. Hm, it looks a little bit too polished to me, but it nevertheless still fits into that Sci-Fi setting, the polished look, I mean.

However, I must warn you : The demo crashed 2 times on my "gaming PC". Don't know whether the reason is a matter of configuration, or not ... I had the impression as if the crashes had something to do with sound, or the music.

Back
Top Bottom