Evochron Mercenary..

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Anyone familiar with it? I've been curious about it for awhile, and it's on sale right now on Steam.

Is it just an X series clone or is it something more? The feature list is certainly impressive, and I'm wondering if the game is actually as good as it sounds. It seems to offer a lot of the same things as the X titles, but you also have the ability to fly down to planets.

I've been wondering about it as well. Reviews seem to indicate that it is pretty unforgiving. Two of them cite a very early quest where you have to race someone and it's nye on impossible, but don't say how avoidable said quest is.
Still, I like space games that allow you to essentially go anywhere and do anything. If it is fully flexible on how/when you do things, I might just push that buy button. Anyone else have any idea about the game?

I'm wondering how fleshed out the planets are and if there's any kind of rewarding exploration. I'm guessing the planets would have to be procedurally generated in a game like this.

Judging by some of the comments I've read at the Steam forum, it also seems to have a pretty steep learning curve.

You can download the game as a time-limited demo directly on the developer's site. I played around with the demo a while back but didn't get a chance to dig too deeply into the game yet. It has realistic Newtonian physics, and seems like it would be a nicely complex, free-roaming space-sim. Landing on planets is pretty cool (and seemless), but there doesn't seem to be a extensive level of planetary detail from what I saw. There might be more to it that I just didn't get to though.

I would say check out the demo if you have time while the sale price is still active. I'm very tempted to grab it myself. Based on my first impressions its probably well worth the $6.24 sale price. My only reservation is adding yet another game to my backlog... but that has never really stopped me.

I read today that you should read their forums instead of relying onto the in-game tutorials. Flattens the learning wall considerably.

The Evochron development blog has some really interesting info about things he's adding to the game in an upcoming expansion. There will much improved look and detail to the planets with a new planetary engine (check out the December 24th post), and also "terrain walkers" added which will allow you to explore planets on foot. Seems like a lot of new interactivity is planned for the planetary exploration part of the game.

Just spotted this thread and thought I'd de-lurk because I have spent quite a bit of time with this game :). I'll try to keep it (somewhat) brief:

EM is a bit of a strange beast. It's an incredible achievement considering that it is a one-person project/series. The space combat model is easily the best that I ever played - and yes, that includes Freespace 1+2 and other classic space sims. It's far from perfect though, so here is a breakdown of what I personally found with this game.

The reports of a steep learning curve are not entirely true; yes, it takes some patience, and yes, you will probably die within 10-20 seconds or less in your first few battles, but once you discover how to use inertia to your advantage and how to devise actual tactics, you will be successful, and a victory in this game is incredibly thrilling and satisfactory. I think that the reports of a steep learning curve are a bit exaggerated by those that expected to be able to jump in right away without learning the system and shoot down an entire fleet of enemies with the starting ship. Plan your approach at the onset of a battle, use patience, and remember that positioning and speed are your best friends; once you do this, there aren't very many games that can capture the sheer thrill of Evochron Mercenary's combat model.

So the combat is absolutely amazing, but there are some unfortunate drawbacks to this wonderful game. To keep it brief, it lacks the "living" dynamic feel of, say, Mount & Blade or the X series. Outside of space battles, there isn't a whole lot to do that feels satisfying, and it lacks the sense of progression that X or M&B possesses. The overall universe design just doesn't match up with the stellar mechanics of the core gameplay, and this is an unfortunate, and serious, drawback.

All in all, I highly recommend checking EM out if one has even the slightest interest in space games - especially if there is an interest in thrilling space battles that require a near-perfect blend of player-skill and actual tactics. As for the learning curve, the first half hour was pretty brutal for me, but after checking out the game's forums for tips and watching a few gameplay videos, I was up to speed in no time and was able to survive most battles, even in my starting ship. Once I upgraded to a more powerful vessel, I was able to take on larger scale battles, and my goodness was that addicting. The sheer thrill and enjoyment of taking on a large enemy force with a squadron of allies in tow almost made up for the lack of world/universe design, and even though the X series blows EM out of the water in the "dynamic/living" universe aspect, I had a lot more fun playing EM overall.

So those are my thoughts: EM is absolutely worth playing, but it isn't the "one to rule them all" of space sims. It has its serious drawbacks - namely the lack of an in-depth universe, but the core gameplay mechanics and heart are nearly enough to make up for this.

Last edited:
Thanks Nerevarine for that overview - it helped a lot in my decision to buy the game, which I did just now. I've been wanting to get into a space-sim game and I think this will fit what I'm looking for. I'm not sure I have the time to invest in something as complex and involved as the X series, but I think Evochron will be about right for what I want. From what I understand the focus is more on just piloting / upgrading your one ship and less on empire building / managing other stuff. That suits me just fine.

I might invest in a good flight stick for this game if I really get into it - I imagine it will make the combat more enjoyable.

I purchased it yesterday and played for a couple of hours.

I had to spend quite some time trying to get it running on my box. Basically it would crash when loading the tutorial. As best I can figure he is using custom memory management and its really picky so unless you have 6GB+ on your machine close any unnecessary apps. I also needed to edit the EXE to use the large address aware setting to get the tutorial to run on my x64 4GB box. The author responded fairly quickly saying that it was not supported but some users have used it to good effect and pointed out some forum posts I should read.

The game itself is fairly complicated to get into so Nerevarine's advice is sound. I haven't really played a space sim since freespace 2 and found that I cannot use my old thrustmaster since motherboards these days lack the gameport. I tried my xbox 360 controller but that I dont think will be a good experience long term since I really need keyboard access and lack a third arm so mouse and keyboard it is for now. I think a proper flight stick would add considerably to the experience.

I will check it out since i own the two previous games , the graphics look much better at least.
The main problem with the game is the realistic physics , combat is very weak just because you can not move like in other space-sim games , also i don't know if the developer kept the "this cop is shooting you because he doesn't like you" concept that sucks.

What this game does right are the enormous / gigantic systems , you can explore one for hours and still miss the black hole :)

What this game does right are the enormous / gigantic systems , you can explore one for hours and still miss the black hole :)

What about the planets though? Are there things to discover on them? Random life?

I know that's probably asking for too much.

Also, are the controls remappable?

What about the planets though? Are there things to discover on them? Random life?

Also, are the controls remappable?
Not sure about the planet question but the controls are very remappable. You can map any function to any key / joystick / mouse button you want. Also, setting up joystick axis controls looks very customizable.

I have not seen any random life but again i do not own the latest game yet.
There are trees and lakes and canyons and busy cities , you can land on the roof of skyscapers and look the traffic from above .
Planets are varied and you can use them to "mine" oxygen , water or plant life , you can also explore inside asteroids .
Just keep in mind that due to realistic physics it takes too long to descent to a planet's surface .

If you really want something, I've got a dll I wrote years ago that will alter time though I think its probably capped to 10x speed or so. Works with many games but not everything but does with this game. If I can find the source code I might remove that cap if this game can deal with faster speeds. Anyway PM me if interested and I can provide a link.

Back
Top Bottom