Diablo 3 - Bug Profits Donated to Charity

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Blizzard announces that all profits made by Diablo 3 players who exploited the gold-multiplying bug will be donated to charity.
So, What Happened?

Shortly after we released patch 1.0.8 in the Americas on Tuesday, players discovered a bug that allowed gold to be duplicated via the real-money Auction House. The bug was the result of a coding error that was exposed when we increased the gold stack size from 1 million to 10 million. This resulted in an overflow on cancelled auctions that yielded a greater amount of gold in return. Only a relatively small number of players had the billions of gold necessary to exploit the bug, and only 415 of those players chose to use this exploit for personal gain.
So, What's Next?

Many people bought and sold items and gold on the Auction House on Tuesday. We're making sure that all legitimate transactions go through. This means that if your account was not involved in the exploit, you will get to keep your items and gold, as well as any money you received from sales on the real-money Auction House. We'll also be donating all proceeds from auctions conducted by the suspended or banned players—including all of THEIR sale proceeds that we intercepted as well as our transaction fee—to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.
More information.

Wow, Blizzard getting all righteous about people making money on a flaw in their programming, while they exploit a flaw in people's programming to make billions, since Blizzard makes the games that really target addictive behavior in players.

... Blizzard makes the games that really target addictive behavior in players.

Assuming I didn't misunderstand you, are you saying Blizzard's the only company that makes games and they should be ashamed of themselves for making $$$?

Is it already patched, then ?

Assuming I didn't misunderstand you, are you saying Blizzard's the only company that makes games and they should be ashamed of themselves for making $$$?

When people die playing their games, it is when variable ratio reinforcement works too well. Should they be ashamed? They aren't Philip Morris, though they do share the distinction of selling addictive products with a death toll. I imagine that not all crack dealers are in this category. In fact, I could see some lucky retired crack dealer saying "None of my customers ever died. I saw each of them when I quit dealing to make sure. I feel bad about what I did, but at least I never dealed out any purples to anybody."

Last edited:
Good.

Back
Top Bottom