Alpha Protocol - To Use Uniloc DRM

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Well … You know … Sometimes m inspiration and imagination just run amok.

Just right now I had an example of this.

Imagine a big, brute-force gorilla-like looking mafia godfather in a black suit, with a white shirt under it, sitting at a table, making a fist, and saying out - quite loud - in a huge, dark, deep, booming voice :

"DRM is for punishing !"

Meanwhile he says the last word, he is shaking his fist.

Well, so much about imagination running amok …

FM09 used unilock and it was an epic fail , FM10 digital downloads had it and it worked well although i had to re-activate the game everytime a patch was released :(

What's FM09 and FM10? How long did it take them to crack it?

What's FM09 and FM10? How long did it take them to crack it?

Football Manager made by SI , FM09 was cracked on release day -pirates playing it while legal owners couldn't was really funny , the word in the SI's forum was that "cracked version is bug infested" which of course isn't true ;FM10 was cracked either on release day or a couple of days after, i just did a google search and cracks for patches have few hours difference with official patch releases.

..so major annoyance for those of us that decides to pay and probably not even a slight delay for the pirates (which in turn has the effect that they wont get even 1 extra unit sold..).

I am not sure how SEGA will handle the whole thing , SI ( & EIDOS) learn from their mistakes and FM10's unilock worked just fine ( i didn't saw any complaint about the steam & boxed versions either)
Nothing stops the pirates and it is totally up to you if you gonna buy / pirate / ignore , DRM is not a good excuse for the 2nd tho.

..so major annoyance for those of us that decides to pay and probably not even a slight delay for the pirates (which in turn has the effect that they wont get even 1 extra unit sold..).
Indeed, which is why I don't see the point of DRM. People who want to pirate, will pirate.

No DRM hasn't been bypassed yet and it's the legitimate consumers that end up with the disadvantage.

Indeed, which is why I don't see the point of DRM. People who want to pirate, will pirate.

No DRM hasn't been bypassed yet and it's the legitimate consumers that end up with the disadvantage.

I think Ubisoft's last DRM (the constant online thing) hasn't been cracked yet. People can sort of play using saved games past several checkpoints but you would only be able to play a few chapters or something.

Pasting from a torrent's forum

"After installing and uninstalling for about 8 or 9 times , i finally stumbled across this torrent Godsent! <link>

Lo and behold, it worked without any fault. The instructions were clear and comprehensive. Props to the uploader,creator et al and i hope it works for you guys too.

P.S. My perseverance to play this game was down to two things, i thoroughly enjoyed the first <GAME NAME > and of course my hatred for ubisoft "

I think Ubisoft's last DRM (the constant online thing) hasn't been cracked yet. People can sort of play using saved games past several checkpoints but you would only be able to play a few chapters or something.

Yeah right

Well … You know … Sometimes m inspiration and imagination just run amok.

Just right now I had an example of this.

Imagine a big, brute-force gorilla-like looking mafia godfather in a black suit, with a white shirt under it, sitting at a table, making a fist, and saying out - quite loud - in a huge, dark, deep, booming voice :

"DRM is for punishing !"

Meanwhile he says the last word, he is shaking his fist.

Well, so much about imagination running amok …

A good one! Is he wearing the face of Marlon Brando?

BTW: I ran across this article on ars technica: US government finally admits most piracy estimates are bogus I don't know how reliable Ars Tecnica is, but I found it insteresting.

Well, it's a matter of knowing the tools, which you on't mention.

The average pirate - let's say Pappa Bear on a home computer - doesn't know the proper tools how to crack a gam - nd thus pirate it.

He maybe gets a "copy" from a friiend, or even from a relative.

Therefore I decide between "hardcore pirates" and "occational pirates".

it's the "hardcore pirates" who see fun in cracking a game, giving the cracked version around, and laugh at - well, at the paying customer maybe even. At Pappa Bear, so. But at least at the developrs.

These "hardcore pirates" believe that a game should be free - or otherwise they wouldn't give cracked "copies" freely and without hesitating around.

Which implies that a 10-months work of developers shouldn't be payed. But that's something no-one says.

Because even developers need money to live from. An the only way to earn it is - doing programming. Designing a game. They have no other tools of earning money.

Of course, they could go on a field, plant and earn crops, but is it that hardcore pirates want ? That developers give up and don't develop games anymore ?

And what would these hardcore pirates do if this would happen ? would they turn on other software ? Or just complain that "no-one does games anymore" ? Or would they begin argueing among themselves and split up into groups like the "IRA" and the so-called "Real IRA" ?

Hardcore pirates act similar to indifferent assassins : They don't care whom they hurt. Their only goal is rto hurt (at least] someone.

Well, it's a matter of knowing the tools, which you on't mention.
I didn't mention it, because the skill requirement to "crack" a game often involves no more than copy & pasting an altered .exe file that comes with the rest of the files.

Hardly "difficult tools" I'd say.

I've read that the Ubisoft DRM for AC2 hasn't been cracked yet. There is some kind server emulation thingy that sort of works but you can't play the whole game. Not that I'm interested in pirating it but it just interesting to follow the "scene". This was about 2 weeks ago though. Things could have happened since then. Their DRM is probably here to stay unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom