Why Does BG2 Break Quests?

I just ran into the Enhanced Edition NPC Hexxat and what I'm presuming is new content in the Graveyard. I'm impressed. It was a real solid piece of writing, artwork and design. The only thing I didn't like was the dialog options. My choices were a bit too slapstick compared to the original content. But it shows what the dev can do. They should release a stand alone game using the engine.

Ok so Neera and the Forest quests... Cats and such.... Not the quality of the Hexxat line. I killed Nord outright so not sure his quests were decent or not. I think I'll be steering away from the new content now. The talking sword is amusing though.

These EE quests are bizarre. Does anyone know how to progress the Hexxat quest? She was told to visit a Tomb in Shou Lung which is another continent as far as I know. I have no idea how to progress this quest. There is certainly nothing on the map.

WTF. Viconia abandoned me in the Underdark? I killed the mind flayer brain last night and "saved the slaves" and she left. Now my party is without a cleric and this game is on RAILS LINEAR after chapter 2. I think I may be dead in the water. I'm really not happy with this game. I haven't really liked it since chapter 2 as the ON RAILS LINEAR nature of it is lame.

You have to keep an eye on your party's reputation. Certain npcs will leave you if your rep is too high or too low.

Iirc, Viconia leaves if your reputation goes higher than 18.

Yup. I had to murder a slave to bring my rep down. This wouldn't have been a big deal if I had some freedom in the game. But this is incredibly linear. I didn't realize that after Chapter 2 you'd lose access to your keep and all NPC's.

It's really not that linear overall. It'll open up again after that chapter.

The crappy thing about the reputation system is that you have no way of knowing what will send an npc packing unless you've already played the game or read it off a guide. Some npcs will randomly complain if your rep isn't to their liking, but it would be nice if there was some kind of last chance warning before they bolt.

The rep system basically forces you to play good or evil, sadly, and to keep it consistent through out otherwise you'll lose most companions. And if you have neutral characters you want to keep around you have to keep from getting too bad or good.

I prefer approval being associated with NPCs as separate values as a better compromise (ala later bware games). Badness and goodness isn't inherent in this system.

Last edited:
The rep system basically forces you to play good or evil, sadly, and to keep it consistent through out otherwise you'll lose most of the companions.

Actually, it has the opposite effect. You lose companions if you're too good or too evil.

Only certain npcs will actually leave you though. Not sure if that's been tweaked in the EE version.

Hi blob! Yes, it is time I finish BG2!! I just have so many games I want to play right now. :( I can't find the time for them all! And the unfortunate part about BG2 right now, is that I'm 40-50 hours deep already, and none of that was captured on camera! I'm big about spending my time gaming capturing it all on camera, so I may actually have to restart in order to ever finish it.

Thanks for the comment, though. Have you played through BG2 recently?

Hey, Fluent. No, I avoid playing BG2, because the moment I start playing this, I won't have time to play anything else (or any other entertainment ;))

It's ever fresh in my memory though, having played it through about 50 times. Game wise, it was my first love, and one that last for the life time ;)

I'm topside again and I can travel again yay! Loved the Underdark overall. The "too heroic" rep system can be defeated by killing innocents. Stupid that I have to suspend rollplay and do something that evil but whatever. Chapter 6. Home stretch. I'm going to have to take a break before hitting ToB though. This game is exhausting. But I'm powerful now. Taking out Lich's etc. is a piece of cake now. As long as Viconia sticks around that is... she is a powerhouse. Those damn racist elves wanted her gone too! Leave my Drow alone people!

I still replay BG2 several times per year. It's fantastic. As for Viconia, the easiest way to get around the "leaving at 19 rep" thing is to use the save game editor to change her alignment to Neutral instead of Evil. It's actually dynamic, based on NPC alignment, not hard coded into each individual NPC.

Back
Top Bottom