Pathologic remake Kickstarter is live!

It better have a superb translation this time, the original game was so hilariously bad that reading the dialogue made you get a constant headache and made everything practically incomprehensible. It is incredibly messed up in a way that messes with your head. My head still hurts just thinking about it.

I loved the atmosphere in the original, but I couldn't understand what was happening most of the time. If they're able to provide a good English translation with this, I'll definitely purchase a copy.

How good is the original ?

It's on GOG for £6, which isn't much, but I'd like to know your guys views on it.

It looks like a game with great potential but not amazing execution...

Also, I don't play many adventure games (last one I completed was Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy)...

How good is the original ?

It's on GOG for £6, which isn't much, but I'd like to know your guys views on it.

It looks like a game with great potential but not amazing execution…

Also, I don't play many adventure games (last one I completed was Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy)…

It's hard to say exactly how good the game is. Your enjoyment depends on how well you can live with the terrible translation. Combat is also rather poor, but that's a lesser concern, considering the focus of the game. Great atmosphere though.

The game has very little in common with other adventure games. It has the resource management of a traditional survival horror game in the vein of Resident Evil, but the city is more similar to what you get in say Planescape, but more open. Actually yes, that's a comparison I'm going to make: Imagine a mix between Resident Evil 1 & Planescape, in a first person perspective and with a terrible translation.

I guess I'll try it out and if it's any good then I might support the kickstarter

Just make sure to not judge the game by its translation, which sadly is among the worst I've seen in any text heavy game. The poor translation harms other parts of the game as well, as it can be hard to actually figure out what needs to be done.

I guess I'll try it out and if it's any good then I might support the kickstarter

Also be prepared for the fact that the game is real-time. There are important quests to do each day and you dont need to waste time. Walking is not fast. Time stops only while reading dialogues or diary.

And I agree with general praise here. Pathologic has really unique location, story, characters, symbolism. Another unique thing is pretty elaborated relationships, opinions and intrigues between characters, houses, local lore etc.

----
BTW I think this news should be on main page. The game has some RPG survival elements, combat... Couchpotato?

Ok, so I played about an hour of it and the writing is atrocious !

There are times when I can't even understand what I am saying :D

I'll play around with it a bit more this week, but I don't see myself finishing the game. (or at least not three times)

Another thing that's really bad is that there's no real way of knowing what to do or how to do things...

I guess I might look at the manual ...
Hopefully that makes some sense.

I do agree that the premise is good.

With the translation being as inaccurate as it is, it's hard to say whether or not the writing is actually bad. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's the translation more than the writing.

Since this looks like it's going to get funded, I wouldn't bother playing the original.

Back
Top Bottom