Fallout 3 - Review Roundup #2

I had more fun with Morrowind. Oblivion incredibly addicting? Oh come on the same dungeons on and on... No consequences of your deeds, level scaling, same landscapes, NPC faces were a joke. Interface was clunky, quests very rarely consisted of something more than combat. OB had so many flaws that it is stuning that every review was praising it without measure. Even as a singleplayer MMORPG it was flawed.

Didn't I state "for me"?

I had Oblivion on my HD until recently, and I was playing it again and again - but, just like Morrowind, never really "finished" it.
For my taste, I haven't found a better RPG since.

I thought as much.

It's why I love this place, tho'. If you just read RPGWatch, you can easily imagine being in this world where straight-up RPGs are still a lively genre, indie RPGs get oodles of interest and strong games get judged as such. Sadly, the real world is a lot harsher :p

Yes. It's the best RPG site I've been to. For several reasons, but maybe especially since the audience is mature, and you don't run the risk of being called a "moron", "gay" (used as an insult) and similar retarded insults. Oops - did I just say that?

Yes, we don't hold with mocking members of sexual minorities with below-average intelligence here.

Predicable scores for another mediocre game by Bethesda. It's obvious Bethesda pays them for these high scores, Morrowind and Oblivion were the most boring pieces of trash I have ever played in my life.

Fallout 3 is exactly the same boring crap as Oblivion.

Yes. It's the best RPG site I've been to. For several reasons, but maybe especially since the audience is mature, and you don't run the risk of being called a "moron", "gay" (used as an insult) and similar retarded insults. Oops - did I just say that?
No, that never happens here. And on the rare occassions when it does, the mods are all over it.

Predicable scores for another mediocre game by Bethesda. It's obvious Bethesda pays them for these high scores, Morrowind and Oblivion were the most boring pieces of trash I have ever played in my life.

Fallout 3 is exactly the same boring crap as Oblivion.

Thank you thank you. If all reviews were as well reasoned as your post, the games industry would be in a much better state.:p

Didn't I state "for me"?

I had Oblivion on my HD until recently, and I was playing it again and again - but, just like Morrowind, never really "finished" it.
For my taste, I haven't found a better RPG since.

Did you play Gothic 1&2? What do you think of them compared to Oblivion?

I found G1&2 better in terms of creating a more believable world and the overall quality of quests (of course raining animals and walking into a picture is hard to beat). I prefer a well-thought thru but more compact world to a vast generic one like Daggerfall I'm re-playing now. I hope Kasper's comment on Fallout 3 in this thread will hold true for the whole game.

I know there are those stalwart original fans who will say the game sucks, but who cares? I mean I'm having a blast and I've played the originals and this does a fine job of doing them justice. I'm very impressed so far.

That's the problem whenever you have an even remotely related game. The antics of *some* original FO fans really annoy me for some reason.

Did you play Gothic 1&2? What do you think of them compared to Oblivion?

I loved G2 (never played 1) *but* I also liked Oblivion. They are different kinds of cRPGs. G2 had a slightly better story but was much more railroaded and less open than Oblivion. Oblivion is still in fact on my machine but I doubt I'll ever put G2 back on, at least not for many years.

You know, it's a like food. I like pepperoni pizza but I also like veggie pizza. Some people I know like one but not the other. None of us are WRONG because it is a matter of taste. None of us call each other childish names of declare that "pizza X" is bad.

I think a lot of people need to realize that just because you DON'T LIKE something doesn't mean it is BAD. And the inverse is also true.

I do agree with you about personal feelings for a game, but... I believe that we can come to an agreement that Oblivion is not a good cRPG. Its a good game, at least for some of us, but definitly not a good cRPG.

I loved G2 (never played 1) *but* I also liked Oblivion. They are different kinds of cRPGs. G2 had a slightly better story but was much more railroaded and less open than Oblivion. Oblivion is still in fact on my machine but I doubt I'll ever put G2 back on, at least not for many years.

You know, it's a like food. I like pepperoni pizza but I also like veggie pizza. Some people I know like one but not the other. None of us are WRONG because it is a matter of taste. None of us call each other childish names of declare that "pizza X" is bad.

I think a lot of people need to realize that just because you DON'T LIKE something doesn't mean it is BAD. And the inverse is also true.

Bill, it's obvious it's a matter of taste and not of good and bad... Exactly why I was asking for Rendelius' opinion.

I do agree with you about personal feelings for a game, but... I believe that we can come to an agreement that Oblivion is not a good cRPG. Its a good game, at least for some of us, but definitly not a good cRPG.

OMG! I consider it one of the best cRPGs! It's all a matter of opinion. I played the game twice, with two different characters that had different personalities. And for the most part, the game offered me choices of what my character would do. Also, some of the quest chains were really good (the assassins one specially).

Gothic 1&2 are 2 of my favorite games of all time. Having said that, I still think Oblivion is a great game, it just has some serious flaws.

OMG! I consider it one of the best cRPGs! It's all a matter of opinion. I played the game twice, with two different characters that had different personalities. And for the most part, the game offered me choices of what my character would do. Also, some of the quest chains were really good (the assassins one specially).

Yeah, you're probably right. All those roleplaying options available to you... For an example being an Archmage and all consequences that came from the fact of being one. Oh, wait...there were none.

It may be an Action-RPG, but surely its not an RPG. Or better, its rather single player MMORPG. It has many one way quests, the main plot is almost non-existent or rather has NO consequences to the world you try to immers yourself into, also there is plenty of pretty mindless combat. NPCs are bland, voiceovers are sometimes a joke, not to mention the dialogue.

But of course it is my oppinion. But Oblivion is not an RPG. Or does not represent the genre I think of as RPGs.

Yeah, you're probably right. All those roleplaying options available to you... For an example being an Archmage and all consequences that came from the fact of being one. Oh, wait...there were none.

It may be an Action-RPG, but surely its not an RPG. Or better, its rather single player MMORPG. It has many one way quests, the main plot is almost non-existent or rather has NO consequences to the world you try to immers yourself into, also there is plenty of pretty mindless combat. NPCs are bland, voiceovers are sometimes a joke, not to mention the dialogue.

But of course it is my oppinion. But Oblivion is not an RPG. Or does not represent the genre I think of as RPGs.

To you it is not an rpg, but guess what you are not the end all be all of rpg or not rpg games. I loved it, it had some flaws but you name a game that doesn't.

I would love to hear the perfect rpg you have played.

To you it is not an rpg, but guess what you are not the end all be all of rpg or not rpg games. I loved it, it had some flaws but you name a game that doesn't.

I would love to hear the perfect rpg you have played.

I dont have any perfect RPG, but I could name some not-so perfect but nevertheless RPG unlike Oblivion.

How is that the best you can say? Come on since you know what is the perfect rpg is lay them out.

Didnt you read what I wrote? I dont have a perfect RPG.

Those I liked and would call a RPGs:
(in no orderly manner)

BG2, PT, FOs, Arcanum, Bloodlines, MOTB, KOTORs, Divine Divinity, Arx Fatalis.

Ok you listed divine divinity, kotor and bloodlines in there, but you don't consider oblivion a rpg? ok, makes sense....even arx fatalis didn't have that much, I consider alot more in oblivion.

I think oblivion fits in that list just fine. I've come to the conclusion though, that some people have it in their "most hated game ever" list because of some weird fascination with being the group that hates what alot of people like.

I'm quite sure you will find fallout 3 in that same area of not being an rpg because you are already set to hate it.

Back
Top Bottom