What games are you playing now?

I saved up for the $80,000 to get the extra slot from Crazy Dave, because I was having a rough time getting the 'Threepeaters' and 'Torchwoods' together on certain levels. But it paid off, because now I can use 'Cattails' as well. That $80,000 was a pretty good investment, IMO. Constant tending of the 'Zen Garden' helped raise the funds, though.
You're right--that extra slot comes in handy. I took another swing at the bobsled minigame and got spanked again. Went back to adventure mode and played a few of those. 4-10 ended up being very profitable--I got two plants for the Zen garden, including my first aquatic. Got my first Yeti zombie in that level, too. It had been blank in my zombie roster all this time. Shame though, because 4-10 is a "lightning" level so I didn't get to see much of the yetis to see what they do.

As a rule, I usually always take the 'explosive units' (Jalapeno, Cherry Bomb and Squash). Having all three can bail you out in a bad spot. I think the Jalapeno is by far the most successful unit against the Bobsled Team. It's a good selection if you see the Bobsled Team on the list of zombies you'll be fighting.

I've tried using those 3 along with an extra squash or jalapeno via the imitator. By the 3rd flag (of 4), I'm toast. I'm not even close. Most levels, I can get by with only 1 of the explosive units, even if there's the occasional bobsled or catapult thrown in. A whole level of them, though...

I did knock out Dr. Zomboss's Revenge last night (it actually wasn't too bad), so I'm down to 2 survivals and the !$#$#%@#! bobsledders. I'm at 5-6 in my second trip thru adventure mode, which I'm doing for Zen plants and stress relief.

Nice avatar!

You guys are making this game sound awfully inviting...after Galactrix, I need something casual and strategic-al(?) that rings the bell. May have to check it out when I can escape from my backsliding re-immersion in Titan Quest.

Yep, it's a disease. :)

There's a demo. You'll know pretty quickly if PvZ is the shizzit for you. It's one of those "extremely simple games with hidden depth" that I've been raving about recently. At $20, I've already gotten my money's worth and then some.

I just dipped a toe in Mysteries of Westgate. Good-looking town, in a run-down slumlike kind of way. Eerie to hear the NWN music, too.

I'm playing Empire: Total War and it's wonderful since the latest patch was released, especially with the Imperial Splendour mod. I'm now on my second campaign and spreading and trading around the world as the United Provinces (Holland) is a lot more fun that taking over the whole of Northern and Eastern as Sweden, I'm afraid.

How I Beat The Bobsled Level (Spoiler Alert)

I've tried using those 3 along with an extra squash or jalapeno via the imitator. By the 3rd flag (of 4), I'm toast. I'm not even close. Most levels, I can get by with only 1 of the explosive units, even if there's the occasional bobsled or catapult thrown in. A whole level of them, though...

I did knock out Dr. Zomboss's Revenge last night (it actually wasn't too bad), so I'm down to 2 survivals and the !$#$#%@#! bobsledders. I'm at 5-6 in my second trip thru adventure mode, which I'm doing for Zen plants and stress relief.

Nice avatar!

*Spoiler*

OK here's how I did it and I didn't even have a lawn mower go across. I built six sunflowers on the top and bottom of the pool, you could probably get away with 5 on each side, though. I had like 2600 sun points when I finished the level, but I still think six sunflowers is best. I fronted those with 1 or 2 snow peas depending on how far across the ice came. Just make sure to save one slot ahead of the sunflowers and snow pea(s) for a tall nut, preferably with a pumpkin to make a nice barrier. You may have to wait for ice to melt to place the tall nuts. At the same time as sun points permitted, I immediately started building cattails. I had 12 total cattails in the pool when the level ended. Placing cherry bombs in the middle of a large group of bobsledders, I think, is the trick. Using turnips on bobsledders works great too, wait until they bunch up on the tall nuts before using the turnip. Jalapenos at the last second before you start getting directly attacked (so the most enemies possible are on screen) is something else I did.

This *IS* a tough level. The plants I used to beat this level with not TOO much hassle were: Tall Nut, Cherry Bomb, Jalapeno, Turnip, Cattails, Lily Pads, Spikeweed, Spikerock (I didn't use either), Sunflower and Snow Peas. I would definitely replace the Spikeweed and Spikerock with probably a Pumpkin and Watermelons. Late in the level, I'd dig up the last row of Sunflowers and replace with Watermelons.

Last edited:
Well, I got the PSP game 'Rock Band Unplugged' ... I've heard it compared to Amplitude for those who played that one on consoles. The demo was fun ... we'll see.

You guys are making this game sound awfully inviting...after Galactrix, I need something casual and strategic-al(?) that rings the bell. May have to check it out when I can escape from my backsliding re-immersion in Titan Quest.

Yep, it's a disease. :)

Plants vs. Zombies is ridiculously addictive and simple but fairly complex at the same time, plus it's downright funny in the details (check out the zombie descriptions in the 'Almanac' for a few good laughs.)

I think just about anybody would like this game, and it would be a great value at twice the price, IMO.

Plants vs. Zombies is ridiculously addictive and simple but fairly complex at the same time, plus it's downright funny in the details (check out the zombie descriptions in the 'Almanac' for a few good laughs.)

I think just about anybody would like this game, and it would be a great value at twice the price, IMO.

Ridiculously addictive is putting it mildly. After downloading it, forgetting to cook my husband's dinner til 9 PM and playing til whenever, I now need one of these:

300.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation...I think....;)

Thanks for the advice, Sir Markus. I finished off the game, including those damn bobsledders. What surprised me a little bit was that 2 rows of sunflowers seemed to generate more sunlight than 1 row of two-headed-sunflowers. Up until tonight, I had never used more than a single row of "generators". Most of the time, that seemed to work well enough, but maybe it wasn't ideal after all. I doubled row'd on sunny shrooms to finish off my last two survivals, too.

Ridiculously addictive is putting it mildly. After downloading it, forgetting to cook my husband's dinner til 9 PM and playing til whenever, I now need one of these:

If you read the review at VGBlogger, you'll see that the editor actually lost his mouse during a sustained gameplay period!

Thanks for the advice, Sir Markus. I finished off the game, including those damn bobsledders. What surprised me a little bit was that 2 rows of sunflowers seemed to generate more sunlight than 1 row of two-headed-sunflowers. Up until tonight, I had never used more than a single row of "generators". Most of the time, that seemed to work well enough, but maybe it wasn't ideal after all. I doubled row'd on sunny shrooms to finish off my last two survivals, too.

The key component in that level is the Cattails, which allows you to build out the Sunflowers so far. On that level, I recall your Cattails (pool) only got attacked once, and those units can be taken out by Cherry Bombs above or below, or by quickly making a lily pad and using a Jalapeno. I think the real trick to that level is to have enough Sunflowers and Sun points to be able to do things on the fly. Congrats, that game was pretty tough at the end.

Really enjoying Plant's vs Zombies. Finished the first adventure series last night and defeated the evil Dr. Zomboss. It was nice to find out that instead of ending the game, it just opened up a whole lot of new options. I found the starfruit in pumpkinshell protectors to be kickass on the roof levels.

Thanks for talking the game up, Sir Markus. :)

Prototype. Pure fun and pure awesomeness. Just like someone else said, it's GTA + Assassin's Creed + superpowers + a virus outbreak. Cool. Highly recommended to anyone wanting to have loads of fun. :)

I was curious about that game, the reviews have definitely been a mixed bag though. I wish they would release a demo for it.

Which platform are you playing it on?

I was curious about that game, the reviews have definitely been a mixed bag though. I wish they would release a demo for it.

Which platform are you playing it on?

PC of course.

And I'm having a blast with it. The only minus would be that it doesn't look as good as I've seen it in some screenshots. Don't know why, as I've got everything on max.

But other than that I'm loving it. Absolutely no problems with it. No crashes, glitches etc. And talk about fun fun fun. I can't remember a game where I had this much fun.

Oh, and another thing that might bother some people. It did me, but I got used to it. The targeting system feels a bit clumsy. You pull up the targeting reticule, as it's not always shown, and you lock onto a target. And while you change targets the game goes into a slow-motion maneuver to give you time to assess the situation. So there is no free aim in this game. You either lock or you don't to a target. And it defaults to the most hi-priority target on the screen. So, yeah. Might be a problem for some people but I got used to it and now targeting is second-nature to me. It would be a shame to diss a wonderful game just because a mistake like this. At least imho.

I guess I would agree with IGN's video review. Except on some points I disagree. And where as they give it a 7.5/10, I'd easily give it a 8.5/10. Just on count of all the fun I'm having.

Back
Top Bottom