The RP Thread

Khass

Watchdog
This event is based off the Gothic game world.

For those who have not been a member of the RPGDot Shadows group and those who have, all the same, know this: since we have lost all of our database and rule sets and all, for this particular event I'm going to issue one, single and very important rule: be reasonable. This means you can RP however you like, have any type of character (except mage - only the weaker mage's apprentices), but do not exagerate. You're not going to single-handledly going to wipe out all the monsters on the island or other such nonsense.

Since everybody needs to create new characters, write a small presentation of him or her, so I know what I'm dealing with.

On the Nameless One (Gothic-series PC): he doesn't exist in the game. He has either not arrived in the city yet, or has long left it. There is only a legend speaking of him and his 'name'.

A little thing to help you out: Khorinis map.

The background story

"The sun lightened the path ahead of me, and my heart also. The trees were vibrant with life, songs of birds, knocking of woodpeckers and the search for nuts of the squirrels were heard all over. September wasn't all that bad today, autumn delaying it's crossing of the Khorinis Island. Old men rumoured storm long beyond, in the vast sea, but the young chose to be unwise and not listen to them; summer had just passed, but it's shadow still streched from the season's dawn. We didn't care. Ignorance is bliss, the same elders say, and true they speak.

I was returning from the forests, joyful, and with a basket full of berries and herbs that would help my father's Apothecary shop. The sun was a spear away from setting upon the sea, in front of me, when I arrived at the gates of the city. I walked past the guards , and entered the city's market. The merchants were packing up their stands, retreating into their houses.

I entered our own house to find my father, Gregor, standing in his armchair, smoking and looking worried. He was always like this recently, and I decided not to bother him, so I went to the storage room to place all of the herbs in the right places. The sun had set when I went to my room to change and prepare for dinner, when a powerful gust of wind blew through the opened window and extinguished the candle. Wondering how come the wind got so strong so quick, I relighted the candle with a match and went downstairs. It was also dark down there, and while intrigued I quickly gave new light to the torch.

Only to my horror, I saw my father lying on the floor. He had been stabbed in the heart. I screamed so loud the entire city must have heard it, and I fell drowning in tears next to my beloved father's breathless body. There was a note on him. My hands trembling, I picked it up and read it slowly: "When the swallow does not join the autumn flock, it dies by the harsh breath of winter."

My eyes lost focus, and I passed out into nightmare's grasp."

NOTE: Gregor's house is marked as no. 6 on the map I previously linked.

Elements of the Event
- speechcraft and intelligence will play the biggest roles; power of the hand and swiftness of the body come last
- I don't have the story in my head, and even if I would I wouldn't try to make as I want to; I have some key events, though, but reaching them shall depend on you; if you surprise or dissapoint me, new events shall be added to my list, and there are more than one endings. Keep this in mind.
- the story evolves with you and your decisions; have the above mentioned skills, and you shall solve this quest; lack of them will leave it unsolved, or you dead
- you can double post in a round, as it will be required in certain moments in which I do not have to say anything (like when you decide something in your group, whether it be the direction in which you're heading, who do you speak to first and so on)
- in relation to the above element, I also can post after only one participant has acted or said something (like when you annoy a certain character, he/she will not wait for other's to speak, but reply quickly)
- I will, of course, be controling all NPCs you encounter, and some may even join you.

When we shall actually get to a combat area (which can probably be by passed with diplomacy or cunning), state your (one) action. Speaking is a free action, so you can talk however many times you wish in a round.

All those who wish to join later on, post here or PM me that you wish to do so. There will be certain moments when you will be able, and some in which you cannot.

Good luck!

Background: "Bartacus, an 40y old arenamaster, heard that the barrier on Khorinis had fell. The prospect of ore as much as he can carry, blinds him for anything else then to get to Khorinis. Since there aren't many 'official' boats sailing to the island, Bartacus joins a pirates gang. At the very moment the boat lays eyes on the harbour, Bartacus jumps of the ship and swims to the shore. Unlike the real pirates, Bartacus still wears his normal clothes. This implies that he will not be captured rather thought of as a survivor of a shipwreck."

//so in short: a skilled fighter (though not a warrior) with a good physical condition, but a bit greedy. He can be persuasive, but he's not a 'merchant'.

Background :

Alonzo Rodriguez : 26 year old man. Son of Fire Mage Rodriguez who died in the Colony (Gothic I :D ) .
Alonzo was born in Venguard but moved to Khorinis with his parents when his father got a special mission from a High Mage. His father had to create a barrier for the King and got trapped inside the colony. Alonzo had just joined the Fire Mages one year before they went to Khorinis and didn't get to know or learn much about spells and the like. He was just a novice who had to care for the sheep, chickens, cows or gather herbs and clean the monastery. Alonzo knows where to find good herbs and had just started assisting the alchemist at the monastery(and if you, Khass allows it, he can make light healing potions) when his master told him that a murder had been comitted in town and Alonzo's mission was to help the local authorities investigate murder.

Equipment : Fire Novice's Robe (if I can)

// I just hope that since you said there won't have to be much fighting that my novice can solve most things peacefully, otherwise he'll only be cannon fodder :D

Both characters accepted, with just one note I forgot to add in my original post: this is the time when the city of Khorinis was richer than in G2, so it can be before or after the barrier fell and certain ( ;) ) events happened. So, try to not make any reference to it, please.

You can start writing now :)

// If it's after the barrier fell, then it's perfect for my character as Rodriguez died before the barrier fell (Old Camp) and he would then have been given his mission after several years of devoted service in the monastery.
// Also, does my character and Bart's character get any money or any other kind of equipment or information ?

Alonzo had hoped to learn something more from the Master Alchemist, but knew it wouldn't be good for him to decline his first real mission so he departed towards Khorinis. It had been a long while since he set foot in the city and he didn't remember it very well. Alonzo hoped he might see another novice in town to whom he might ask some directions and help. He continued walking and arrived at the East Gate where he asked the guards : "Hello, I came from the monastery. I am to help with the murder investigation. Could you tell me who I am supposed to talk to ? I also would like to know where I could find other novices in the city".
Alonzo patiently waited for a response, but thought: "I shouldn't have done that. Now every guard will know that I am here for the murder and might avoid me. I hope I don't make any more mistakes like these".

// I don't know if this is good, but I do know everyone makes mistakes (except the nameless one of course :) ). I want my character to look human. I also figure that the guards would know about it one way or another.

// If it's after the barrier fell, then it's perfect for my character as Rodriguez died before the barrier fell (Old Camp) and he would then have been given his mission after several years of devoted service in the monastery.
// Also, does my character and Bart's character get any money or any other kind of equipment or information ?

Alonzo had hoped to learn something more from the Master Alchemist, but knew it wouldn't be good for him to decline his first real mission so he departed towards Khorinis. It had been a long while since he set foot in the city and he didn't remember it very well. Alonzo hoped he might see another novice in town to whom he might ask some directions and help. He continued walking and arrived at the East Gate where he asked the guards : "Hello, I came from the monastery. I am to help with the murder investigation. Could you tell me who I am supposed to talk to ? I also would like to know where I could find other novices in the city".
Alonzo patiently waited for a response, but thought: "I shouldn't have done that. Now every guard will know that I am here for the murder and might avoid me. I hope I don't make any more mistakes like these".

// I don't know if this is good, but I do know everyone makes mistakes (except the nameless one of course :) ). I want my character to look human. I also figure that the guards would know about it one way or another.

OOC: you come with whatever equipment/gold you would like, just follow the 'be reasonable' rule. As for information, that can be found in the background story, and what you ask, of course. Your post is good; all are. You play a role - nobody will tell you how to play it ;)

// Are you going to play the NPCs then or not ? Since I really don't know how the city looks like now. I mean, my character has no idea where the murder took place and I have no idea who I'm supposed to talk to and where I can find another novice. So are you going to answer for the guards or am I supposed to do it ?

I like to join in too
A Warrior, with a little knowledge of magic and alchemy
but his primary incomes are hunting and being a mercenary.
He isn't sure wich way he will go yet.
As a teen he lost his parents, who were known as great wolves hunter in Nordmar and was raised by mages from where he has got his knowledge of magic and alchemy. At the age of 23 he left Nordmar for the Island of Khorinis to find his own path and his true nature as warrior or mage, only time will tell.
He lives close to the monastery and earns his living as a hunter with a few obscure jobs for the mages now and then.
His starting equipment: his fathers big axe, his fathers old bow, and a 1000 gold coins.
Hope he gets accepted
ow yeah the name: Gwildor

OOC:
@ titus: accepted.
@ Pladio: sorry, I forgot to mention that I wrote that post when I woke up late at night because I had forgotten something important. Also, the house is the one right next to Zuris. I wrote in my initial post about that. "NOTE: Gregor's house is marked as no. 6 on the map I previously linked."

IC:

The muscle-bound guard towered over the rather frail mage, and his rough expression measured him critically from head to toe.
"A novice? We expected something more. You better have your wits about you, boy, or else the gov'nor might be displeased in the monastery's ... help" he said with a gallon of sarcasm. He lifted one of his heavy arms and pointed to the house just across the market, to the west. Quite a few swarmed around it, but with the carefulness about them that indicated they wanted to have nothing to do with it. "That there's Gregor's house. Or was," he added, a smile drawing itself across his face.

"As for the novices, them you can find at the temple. Follow the road south. And, boy, do be careful. A death like someone of your likes in our city might cause more problems that you can imagine." He didn't seem to be joking.

While I was staring at the Sun circle from the campfire in front of my hut, I was wandering how I would ferfill my task for the mage instructor in the monastery.

Getting unseen into Khorinis is no problem, but getting in the upper part of town without the guards recognizing me, is a total different thing. The leader of the palladin, whatever his name is, will probably not have forgotten that I killed the guard at the harbor. Can't I help it that he called me a Varantian thief. I was distracted and forgot to pay for the herbs, but he didn't gave me the change to make it up, so he attacked. I defended myself but hitted him too hard against the head. I payed the mercant and dissapeared as fast as I could.

"Hmmm how will I get there, persuade him to give it, or even steal it? I can't ask one of the novices, because it is too delicate. Maybe that I can make a deal with Akil. We will see... I still got some time, better stop thinking about and enjoy of the sunset now I still can. Hard night coming up HAHAHA" He takes another deep breath of his Swampie and drinks his last cup of ale.

Bartacus reaches the shores of Khorinis and the sun is already drying his clothes. (must be special water, cause salt water doesn't dry so easily, but whatever) He sees some local fishermen talking about a murder and overhears their conversation.

Ashren: "Kaldren, did you hear about the alchemist at the marketplace?"

Kaldren: "No, Ashren, I didn't. What has happened?"

Ashren: "I got this from one of the militia. Gregor has been found dead by his own son. The strange thing is that the son was at home and didn't see an intruder, as I'm told. For me it's plain obvious, that no good son of his has killed him."

Kaldern: "Yeah, I always knew that boy is wicked ... Hey, be silent, someone tries to overhear us."

The fishermen split up and Bartacus moves forward to the city.

///
Count me in!

Background:

Antasir arrived in Khornis only a week ago, on a ship transporting rare goods from the Southern Islands. Since he is a newcomer, little is known about him, but from his appearance one can assume that Antasir is in his late twenties and the he doesn't look at all like a native ihabitant of the Southern Islands. Immediately after arrival he snuck out and set up camp on the cliff overlooking the city and has been living there so far, hunting scavengers for food, but he's been visiting Khorinis each day. The guards have been suspicious of him, as he is not a citizen and doesn't have a job, and Antasir has been trying to show his worthiness doing whatever small work he could get (sometimes as a mercenary - getting a little in the guards' way). Antasir is an agile warrior with some hunting skills, and has a basic understanding of magic but cannot actually cast any spells. He is equipped with a rapier and has a small amount of gold (say, 100).
///

Arriving at the city, Bartacus asks some of people at the harbour where the leader of the militia can be found. It seems that a paladin called Lord Andre is now in charge and that they are on the look for good men. Since Bartacus is out of gold, he needs some job to buy him the necessary equipment of weapons and food.
Bartacus goes to Lord Andre.

My lord, it is come to me that you're on the look for good men to join the watch. How can I prove myself?

//Khass, I'm asking you to get me some response for Lord Andre. It should at least imply that he wants to find out what has happened with Gregor.

OOC:
titus, persuade to give what? I'm afraid I didn't understand what your character wants. Also, it seems both you and Bartacus' posts require no intervention, so I'll write something 'off-stage'.

IC:
At Gregor's house...
"I am still bewildered, beyond my mind. The books tell of these stories commonly, but they're supposed to be fantasy, mere imaginations of their writers. Right? Then why is this happening to me?" he stood thinking to himself, in his dead father's armchair. He read the note again. It was red of blood in some places. Damn whoever. Damn them to the fiery dephts of hell!" he said, with tears swelling up in his bloodshot eyes. He hadn't gotten any sleep since yesterday.

Somewhere else...
A tall figure dressed completely in black walked across the long room, making no more sound than a cat. The floor boards didn't squeak as they usually did. He reached the desk at the end of the room, where somebody stood, reading a scroll.
"It is done", said the hooded figure.
"Very well. Here's your reward," the man behind the desk said, as he pushed forward a small bag undoubtebly containing gold coins. "Have you been seen?" he said, almost as a threat.
"Of course not. The only pair of eyes that have been laid upon me now stand under a white sheet," the tall man said, his white teeth showing behind his grin. He turned to leave.
"One more thing," the other man said. "We have another stray bird. Be sure to ease it's pain, will you?" he said, handing over a small piece of paper with a name on it.
"Alright", he sighed. "A hunter has to do his job."
"Or he himself will starve." the man behind the desk added.
"Of course. Of course. How could I forget?", he turned and rolled his eyes. His master never let him forget.

Lord Andre's chamber
"My Lord," the guard politely introduced himself, and bowed. "I bring you today's events," he said while he unrolled his scroll. "5 thefts, 2 thieves caught. One hanged in the public square, to please the city folk, of course. The other had his hands tied and sent to the mines," he snickered at the last thief's sentence. "Yelled a lot, that one." He recovered his indifferent look under the Lord's stern gaze. "And a murder, Sir."
"Murder?" Lord Andre's brows raised with curiosity. "Of whom?"
"A merchant, my Lord. Went by the name of Gregor. Dealt in herbs and potions." the guard said.
"Most intriguing. Have someone to inve..." he ended in mid-sentence, for a man had entered the room. "What is this disturbance?" he said in a high tone.

"My lord, it is come to me that you're on the look for good men to join the watch. How can I prove myself?" the middle-aged man spoke.
"Hmmm ..." Lord Andre thought. It was good of you to come here, man. Right in the nick of time, might I add." Then he turned to the guard. "You. Instruct this ... what is your name, my good man?"
"Bartacus, my Lord."
"Instruct Bartacus with the task of finding the murderer. Fill him in on the details. Now, has anyone else come to help? Has the monastery sent anyone?" the paladin questioned.
"A novice, Sir. Alonzo, by name. Saw him myself just an hour ago." the guard answered.
"I see ...", he rubbed his chin. "Very well, instruct the two men. Now, off with you!
"Yes, my Lord." the two said in unison.

OOC:
@ Krzychu: accepted.
@ Pladio & Bartacus: the 'instruction' means that you will gain more information on the death of Gregor.

Last edited:
I will post further about what he needs, but it needs to keep a sort of secretecy for know, because I don't really know yet myself.

Now it is becoming night it is time for me to go out and hunt. gwildor grabs his bow and some potions.He leaves for the forest north of Khorinis. After a few hours he has gathered 10 wolves skins and even found a shadowbeast. That was a close one, if he didn't made it on the rock sticking out, he would be his meal instead of the big dinner he has now. Suddenly he sees a white wolf, young but strong. So elegant and so beautifull. It has been from the time he lived in Nordmarr that he saw a white wolf. But this isn't a ice wolf, but looks like an albino.
"Must be worth a lot" He grabs his bow and aims. Suddenly the wolf is attacked by a pack of goblins.
"No way" one by one he picks them out with a few good shots. The wolf is not hurt. He decided to let him go, maybe he might be able to tame it one day. He returns back home for a good rest.
"I still have a lot to do tomorow. I just don't hope I need the help of the thiefs guild, because they are expensive. The judge better cooperates, I already have enough problems in town and he doesn't like me. Anyway maybe I can make a deal for myself so that I can walk aroudn in town freely again. Hope the novices is still alive and they didn't killed him yet or sent him to the mining colony" Poor guy if that happened. The stories I heard of that place.
He puts the skins and horn in his chest, has a late snack and goes to bed.

Bartacus walks to the crime scene to see weather there are any clues left valuable for his task. Even from outside, he notices a man sitting in a chair. "Must be the son" Bartacus thinks to himself. Then Bartacus knocks on the already open door.

Hello, my name is Bartacus and I'm officially appointed to investigate your fathers death. First of all my sincere condolences, sir. I will do my best to get your fathers murderer. Could you tell me anything specificly that might be of interest?

Alonzo nodded and started walking towards Gregor's house. He saw some people standing outside, including some guards and some others who just wanted to know what was going on. He walked past the guards outside and looked inside; he saw two people talking next to an armchair. Alonzo also saw several herbs lying around on the table. It reminded him of his comfy monastery and his teacher. Oh, he would have preferred staying there, but he couldn't think of that right now.

Then the guard standing in front of the house asked him :
Hello fellow servant of Innos, could you tell me what you're looking at? No one is allowed inside except investigators.

Alonzo replied :
I am Alonzo Rodriguez, a novice from the monastery. I have been sent by the High Mage to investigate the murder. I would like to know everything there is to know so I can start my investigation. I had hoped you could help me with this. Afterwards, I would like to talk to the victim's relatives and any eyewitnesses involved.

The novice waited for the guard to respond.

// I changed it to bold when people talk, hoping to make it easier for anyone reading.

Time to go Khorinis. I wish I didn't had to set foot there ever, and just enjoy of the beauty of the forests and the hills around here
When he reaches the bridge to the monastery he sees Pyrokar standing and waiting for something.
Greetings Pyrokar. May I ask you what you are doing outside the walls of the monastery?

Greetings wanderer of the planes Where did they get that silly name for me? I was hoping you would pass by. Here Pyrokar donates me a sealed scroll We sent a novice to investigate a murder. Go and see if you can help. The scroll will keep the militia of your back.

And what about my other task?

Complete that as fast as possible too, but this is more important. Report as soon as possible back He turned around, waved his hand and dissapeared, probably back to the monastery.

After a few hours walk I finaly reaches the gates of Khorinis.
halt, surrender and come with us, We know what you have done I show them the seal on the scroll and they step aside.

I see a crowd at the house of Gregor. I walk over there.
Halt now one can go further than this.
Please let me enter, I have been sent by the monastery to insist the novice investigating the murder. Can I pass?
(Mod input needed)

// it seemed a good idea to me Pladio, better then using "" I think. we will see what Khass says about it
otherwhise I would say lets all use on way for it?
oh yeah? Is the barrier up already or down again? Has the hero defeated the sleeper or is he still an inmate in the colony?

Back
Top Bottom