Sunless Sea - Review @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Alec Meer of Rock, Paper, Shotgun posted his thoughts on Sunless Sea in a new review.

Look, Sunless Sea isn’t for everyone. It requires patience, and it requires no small amount of imagination. For those who have those qualities, or are prepared to try and acquire them, I would say that Sunless Sea is an uncommonly rewarding roleplaying game, and an essential one.
More information.

Look, Sunless Sea isn’t for everyone. It requires patience, and it requires no small amount of imagination.
Wow, that isn't arrogant or passive-aggressive at all! This game isn't for everyone, if you have no imagination, you might not like it.

Hmm, I took that as an honest review, and actually made me want to play the game. The full review makes it seem pretty fun and unusual.

I agree the wording could be improved...

I'm going to wait for some fellow RPGWatchers to try it first for their opinions. I'm too cheap/lazy to check this one out myself without some recommendations, but it does look interesting.

There's a good detailed description of the (early) gameplay at this blog:
http://scientificgamer.com/thoughts-sunless-sea/. Quite genre-defying, it's not very rogue-like, nor very trade-y, it's more interactive fiction. Unique setting, great writing, lots of reading, quite long, and apparently very grindy. Strong recommendation to turn off perma-death, which is the default mode.

Wow, that isn't arrogant or passive-aggressive at all! This game isn't for everyone, if you have no imagination, you might not like it.

It does not mean no imagination.
Better to tell it as it is if the game requires a good amount of imagination to make up a narrative for example.
If that could help to players who prefer to leave the imagination part to scripted stories writers...

Very nice and honest review.

To those who are curious, we did have a preview here at the Watch that I wrote a few weeks ago about the 90% complete game after 120 hours of playtime.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/sunless-sea-preview-281.html

In short, I do recommend it, but to those with patience, a thirst for exploration and an odd setting, and with an willingness to play with something a little rough around the edges.

Back
Top Bottom