In *knowing* I have become weak : A confession of my torment

RPGfreak

Watcher
Just finished Planescape Torment. I just.. I am speechless. I am unable to contain within myself this experience of what that has clearly transcended the title of a "game". I am shocked, full of pity, miserable, full of sorrow. I am tormented.

In what game does the NPC scrounge 12 copper coins to reward you when you already posess 10k gold, and you just let him keep it while you are filled with pity. Over a virtual NPC! What game makes you sad for other characters - even your enemies! Most games - heck, most movies and books contain villians we cant stand not to hate. This game contains villians i cant stand not to feel sorry for. Theyre not evil - theyre the tormented victims of the unfortunate reality of the planes.
When you finally beat your archnemisis, you already think of what spell will you use to obliberate him to dust, and then he tells you his story. The vindictive instinct in all of us urges to kill him for his actions, and yet you set him free. Destroying him, or even being mean to his dying spirit would be like kicking a puppy.

This game... In what game do you talk someone off suicide? What game will make confront you with the meaning of death, life, order, chaos and evil? And articulate such compelling arguments for every philosophy that choosing a side feels like a betrayal - no matter which direction you choose.

What game will have voice actors so good, that thier words will chill your bones no matter how many times they will recite thier suffering? "I shall wait for you in deaths halls my love...".... Goosebumps all over.

In ordinary games, the characters will spout thier gibberish with every order you give them, making it blend into the background in a way where thier remarks are nothing more than white noise. In this game, any innocent dialogue in every moment may surprise you with a newfound meaning of your journey, attacking said white noise with colors of content that will pierce *knowing* to your very core. "Endure. In enduring grow strong." From white noise, after a certain even, it has taken a meaning so powerful, it deserves a lecture of its own. I may have went through an entire game without knowing the meaning behind those words.

And thats whats so good about it. In other games, i will be discontent that i have missed some stat boosts behind a tree, or a another dialogue option from the shopkeep. Yet here, i am staisfied with the knowing that this game is so expansive, i may never be able to muster the willpower necessary to venture every experience it may offer. You can do that with a game, but not a world, or a universe. And certianly not a multiverse.

Objects, stories and adventures arent there for you to play, highlighted when you hover your cursor over them so the developers time wouldnt be lost in vain. They dont feel a need to spoon feed you with where to go, or what to do next, or in what order.

Theyre just there. Thier existence a reward for those inquisitive enough to stop playing, and for a moment or even more, slow down and take it in. Look, guess: explore. And the prize for those who do? Torment.

Planescape Torment: My #1 CRPG

The first playthrough was breathtaking for me.

Planescape Torment: My #1 CRPG

The first playthrough was breathtaking for me.

+1

I remember not going to sleep for 24 hours, just couldn't leave the bloody PC and that game alone. Not to mention weeks and months after finishing it, trying to find an answer on Ravel's trick question and debating about it with friends - and even today, after so many years, I don't have a satisfying answer.
Never happened before, and never happened after with any other game.

It's quite strange... Torment should be a game I really really like, but I remember having it started 2 times and each time I somehow couldn't get into it and stopped playing after a few hours.

Perhaps it's time for another try.

Perhaps its time for a replay (seeing as I am wondering what to pick up next :) )

For an RPG that I usually cite as one of my all time faves (in the top 3 at the very least) it is strange (and a bit embarrassing) that I only have a single full play-through (always starting replays and always something comes up)…

The problem with the game is that the combat is not good, and there is a lot of "useless" filler quests.

But hidden under that is a lot of great story to discover.. that's probably why my mind is so "split" about this game.

Thats one of the best descriptions I have ever read.

I am one of those that thought the game was "ok" and I had a hard time finishing it. Now I did play it 15 or 16 years ago (it came out in 97 or 98 I believe) so perhaps I would enjoy it more now. I do remember combat being not in the same league as the other Infinity Engine games. You almost make me want to play it again just to see how I have aged in likes/dislikes.

I actually took time off from all of my tasks today to recover from this game. Thats how powerful it was for me. Like To The Moon.

The problem with the game is that the combat is not good, and there is a lot of "useless" filler quests.
Combat isn't that important to me, except when it comes to combat-centered games like Blackguards.

So I think I'll give PT another try, if I manage to finish Dragonfall before the other games come in...

I do remember combat being not in the same league as the other Infinity Engine games.

Very true.

I think I would have enjoyed PS:T more if I had played it before Baldur's Gate 1&2. The combat, along with the huge variety of D&D monsters and weapons & armors, was my favorite aspect of the other IE games.

The combat and loot in PS:T were very bland in comparison, but I can understand how that wouldn't matter to some players.

I wouldnt mind doing a dozen or so more "filler" quests. For a guy that was raised on World of warcraft quests of "kill x and fetch me x", its very enjoyable. I mean, the Corvus "quest" was short of three minutes long, the experience gained was close to nothing, but i had such a sweet warm feeling inside myself after ive done it that experience didnt matter.

I think that the not challanging combat served a purpose of making the player more focused on the story.

The bad news for you is that it's all downhill after PST :D

It's interesting reading how the game worked on you. Despite the rant I had after the game I obviously loved it to bits but found the overall experience more strengthening than anything else.
Talking with the Good Incarnation, Deionarra's subsequent dialog and Dak'kon's Pronouncement of Two Deaths As One had as strong weight-off-my-shoulders effect on me as they had on TNO.

Back
Top Bottom