RPG Designer

arcifus

Traveler
Hi, this is my first post here, so I *do* hope I'm not way off topic here (apologize in advance if thats the case).

I've started an experimental hobby project to create a flash based RPG engine using the classic Ultima/Baldur's Gate isometric view, with proper click-based path finding and dice roll combat (among other 'classic' things). I am looking for someone with strong RPG exposure and design skills to help design the non-programming aspects of the project including story, dialogue and game play. The plot thickens though... read on...

For those unfamiliar with the game development cycle, the most time consuming aspect is the creation of artwork and its animations. And so the design challenge here is to base the design off an existing set of monsters, human and environment artwork that is available as open source on the web. A complete set has been identified and is begging for a good story.

A bit of progress has already been made on the engine (proper pathfinding, zone scrolling, masking [characters can walk underneath things]). Moving forward though, any features that are implemented should strictly come from the designers book.

So here we are, if anyone is interested in collaborating on this project please do drop me a note. Would be interesting to get more than one person on this, a sort of community built RPG experiment.

Nervously,
Arcifus.

Awesome idea. Wish had the time (or skills!) to help. I do mySQL and php programming if that is of any help!

Its a bit cartoony but quite comprehensive. I was imagining a dark humorous RPG based upon this tile set. Sort of a parody of existing RPG's (or their flaws within). http://reinerstileset.4players.de/englisch.html (the 2D graphics sections). Wonder if it can be pulled off. It doesn't have to be vast in scope but it can be concentrated in setting.

Just a question/thought ... Is the graphics tileset of Wesnoth open source or freeware ?

If so, one could use it as well ...

If it fits to the engine, of course.

Haven't played that game but from the screenshots it seems that the tile set is not animated as such (walk/attack cycles). The perspective is also a bit too ariel.

I see. It's 2D, by the way.

What I don't know is the meaning of "ariel", as you wrote.

What I don't know is the meaning of "ariel", as you wrote.
I think he means the camera perspective is too high up for his taste (too "aerial") ans he'd prefer to have the camera a bit lower (closer to the ground).

Good luck on your project, arcifus!

Strange RPG

Do visit the new Strange RPG development blog.

I've decided to launch the initiative via a blog that supports flash files where I'll update the game engine as it evolves. Would love to have experienced RPG folk participate in its upbringing. Please do point your friends to the blog if you can. Part 1 of Chapter 1 'Moving Around' has been uploaded along with its demo.

Cheers,
Arc

Liked the demo you had on your blog. Funny I brought this up before on basilisk forums...I think a flash game could be very interesting if you can get inventory and everything else to work.

Blog

Thanks! I hope you do visit and offer feedback + suggestions. Going to expand the blog to be a bit wider, thinking that 640x480 should be the minimum size for an immersible experience... especially given the screen will be covered by a hud.

Getting this when I try to look at your Blog:

"We're sorry...

... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. "

using Firefox 3, working ok now though!

Well that didn't last long. Blogspot has removed it.

Back
Top Bottom