Skyrim Tips & Spoilers Thread

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Very cool actually, but yes very comical as well. It's very robotic, but i rather have that than the standard NPC AI, it can be lot of fun at times :)

I wish AI in games would have developed at the same pace as graphics. Still, i really like that bethesda is one of _extremely_ few who at least gives an effort (usually resulting in people bashing them a lot.)

Still, i really like that bethesda is one of _extremely_ few who at least gives an effort (usually resulting in people bashing them a lot.)

Spoken like a true fan. ;)

I question how much effort Bethesda puts into AI, and if they really are putting in a lot of effort then I have to question their talent in that particular area of design.

It might sound like I'm bashing them, but I'm really not. I've enjoyed most of Bethesda's titles, but it's hard not to notice the AI when there are games from a Decade ago that have NPCs who react more realistically.

when there are games from a Decade ago that have NPCs who react more realistically.

Which game is that? And exactly which behaviours were more realistic, did it permit the same behaviours as in Skyrim (same as shown in this video for example)? Otherwise it's not a very fair comparison.

About their efforts.. again, not sure which games you're comparing to.. i could say they didnt spend any efforts on the graphics for BF3 and refuse to say what i'm comparing it to, not a very solid argument..

About their efforts.. again, not sure which games you're comparing too.. i could say they didnt spend any efforts on the graphics for BF3 and refuse to say what i'm comparing it to, not a very solid argument..

I didn't realize it was an argument, but I should have guessed you were going to make it one. :)

Gothic, or any game from Piranha Bytes for that matter, would be an example.

I realize it's hard to see flaws when you're in the prime fanboism stage of a new release, but you can't seriously think the behavior AI of TES NPCs has ever been above average.

You made it into an argument when you questioned my post, no?

You can't pick up any object in those games, so they've just restricted it a lot more, that's not the same as it being more realistic, it's more restricted. How long have you played Skyrim, and again, exactly which behaviours do you think were better in Gothics? Again, you're just claiming something, and you have nothing to support it..

I dont see how i'm a fanboi either, i've made numerous posts about what i dont like with Skyrim, including the shitty interface, the low res textures, the LOD problems. Only clueless haters are bashing the AI, especially without being able to compare it to something. "LOL its not perfect!" no shit?

Again, the AI of Oblivion and Skyrim is well above average. Gothics, Risen, Ultima7, Sims, that's the games i can think of that even have NPC AI that is comparable. That's not a lot of games..

I just saw that video tweeted and thought it was hilarious. I'll take that over the psychic guards any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays.

I just saw that video tweeted and thought it was hilarious. I'll take that over the psychic guards any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays.

^This.

It was really funny and I don't know a lot of games where you can put cauldron on top of heads.

Er… why is this thread a sticky?

As to the tips, without spoilers, the first thing you need to do (once you get control) is to uncheck the controller option from the settings and up the mouse sensitivity (provided you're playing on the PC, naturally). I found this improved the controls noticably for me. I could not believe my eyes that the default setting is "controller: on" (i.e. mouse and keyboard aren't the default control method for PC). Then again, once you navigate the UI you will quickly see that the UI, nay, the whole game, has pretty much been designed to be played with a controller.

Also, you might want to up the difficulty from the get go. I'm playing on Normal/Default (it's called Adept or some such in the game) and so far (after c. 3 hours of gameplay) I've yet to be challenged in battle. I know it's early game, but still, it's considerably easier than I expected. Not talking about the tutorial section, either - I've gone beyond that. Only when I was fighting 4 bandits at a time alone did I start to feel threatened (losing c. 50% of my HP), but still quite easily beating them.

I know this is really basic, but I actually missed this at first, even if it damn well says so on the screen. As you escape, you have the choice of going with either the Imperial dude (who questions you at the very beginning) or the Stormcloak one (who's with you on the cart at the very, very beginning), sorry cannot remember their names now. This will actually matter some and determine with who you go to Riverwood (IIRC, goodness I'm bad with names today) and to which faction you get your first invitation to join, etc. Of course it won't lock you out of the other, but you'll get a different introduction to Riverwood and the situation in Skyrim depending on with whom you go. This actually took me by surprise, as I (jaded as I am) was pretty sure it was just a cosmetic choice, but you actually get different dialogue and contacts on your way and in Riverwood. Nice one, Beth!

Last edited:
I agree with Lurking Grue.. this shouldnt be stickied, the moderator probably just read the topic and didnt look at the actual content of the thread.. To make the thread a bit more useful at least;

To fix the awful, unresponsive mouse controlls (backup your files before editing):

Open up Skyrimprefs.ini in steamapps, common, skyrim, skyrim

find bMouseAcceleration=1 change it to bMouseAcceleration=0

You can also change iPresentInterval=1 to iPresentInterval=0 which is the vsync setting, when set to 1 it caused more screen tearing and mouse lag for me.

Here's the whole Controls section:

[Controls]
fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0300
fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.9000
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bInvertYValues=0
bGamePadRumble=0
bMouseAcceleration=0
fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0

Some settings here aren't in the original file i believe, i think it's the last fforeground variables that is added (many guides suggests that you add these for more responsive mouse controls).

In My Documents -> My Games -> Skyrim -> skyrim there's a file called skyrim.ini at the bottom of this file you can put in fdefaultfov=xx (your prefered FOV). I have it set to 91 which works well for 1920x1080.

I stickied the thread before the ever-present infighting started ... after the second or so post.

So here's a quick way to increase smithing fast and cheap: only buy scrapped leather and iron and make iron daggers. You need 1x leather and 1x iron for 1x dagger and once every 4-5 daggers made you level up a skill in smith. I got mine to level 59 in no time and I'll soon make glass items. Materials can be found for sell at vendors and are very cheap.

For those of you that are unable to swap the mouse buttons to the correct hands i think i just stumbled on a simple fix.
All i did was remap both keys to the keyboard (exit menu to save) and afterwards i could assign Rmb to Right and Lmb to left.

I am still confused as to where I should make the tweak. Some people say it's the steam folder (see vurt above) but other say My Document
My Documents folder. (That's how it worked for me, at least.)

Back
Top Bottom