Skyrim Anyone know how to run skyrim without steam?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Firestorm

exp Looter
So I'm super existed about Skyrim, hold off on viewing all the cracked footage, go down to my local store buy a copy today and go home to install it, and what do I see, It need some freaking 3rd person program to run, well thank you very much Bethesda, Next game you come out with I'll go with the more user-friendly cracked version.

I have strong opinions agents steam and programs like it, so I'm hoping maybe someone can help me find a way to run the game without steam.

PS. sorry if I can needed to vent but crap like this is why people turn to cracks.

I am surprised that nowadays even retail copy requires a Steam or Origin account. The game already installed, now waiting it finishing its update.

I have a retail copy and now its registered with Steam. Say I lose my retail box, will I be able to download it from Steam and play? (in other words, can I treat it like a game I purchased from steam?)

I have a retail copy and now its registered with Steam. Say I lose my retail box, will I be able to download it from Steam and play? (in other words, can I treat it like a game I purchased from steam?)

yes, it's now registred to your steam account.. i never bother with finding my boxes, i just download the whole game instead.

PS. sorry if I can needed to vent but crap like this is why people turn to cracks.
People turn to cracks primarily because they are too fucking cheap to buy games. But since you already bought it - well, go ahead and find one - I'm sure they are out there or soon will be. It would however be in violation of this sites principles to provide a link or instructions.
I have to tell you however, that the info that Skyrim would be using Steam has been out for many months, AND it probably was noted on the box too...

I have bough my copy of Skyrim GBG but I will probably be using crack (at least for emergencies). What if my internet goes down? Why should I have to wait until it is fixed to be able to play my game? And what about if it goes down Friday evening?

I thought Steam had an offline mode once the game was installed and verified

Disconnect your internet and load Steam, see what happens, then stop worrying.

Steam hate is pretty old news. Are you one of the people who used to froth in 1997 about sites saving cookies on your computer? Seriously, time to get real.

Here everyone take a look at this:

Click Here

There's nothing in that link that you shouldn't already know if your buying a steamworks game. What he doesn't mention is it also says to read steams subscriber agreement before opening the game and if you don't agree with it return it.

You can absolutely have shortcuts to all your steam games on your desktop if you want. It's obvious this poster knows nothing about steam and just makes assumptions before researching it. If your buying a steam game then you have this thing called the internet use it to learn about things you don't understand then decide if you want to use them.

He wants to get rid of steam, great but he offers no other solutions. There will be drm and to me steam is an ok compromise. Plus it's pretty convenient. I have never noticed any performance hit with steam and would not consider it bloatware. I ran the gog version of the witcher and steams and came up with frame rates that were within 1-2 frames of each other with steam being faster sometimes and gog on others. I was playing the same areas using fraps so it wasn't 100% accurate i'm sure but no noticeable difference.

I would love for all games to be released with out drm, but lets face it there are a lot of thieving bastards out there. Just be glad its not like batman aa where you had to use steam and gwl if you purchased through steam. Now there's a pain. So if any of the really smart people out there that want to get rid of steam, drm, this, that and the other thing actually come up with a solution then patent it and get rich, otherwise just enjoy the games........or not.

yes, it's now registred to your steam account.. i never bother with finding my boxes, i just download the whole game instead.

Thats good to hear. I have lost my Morrowind and Oblivion disks.

Can you do this with other games, even if they don't need steam?

I'm sorry but I have to agree with the poster on this. I just bought Skyrim and was very annoyed that I was being blackmailed into installing Steam on my computer - if I wanted to play Skyrim. Didn't see anything on the box about having to join steam in order to play skyrim. Yeah I considered taking the dam thing back to the store, but thats the beauty of the blackmail scheme isn't it? I admit I don't know alot about Steam because I don't play online games. And thats fine with me I don't want to play online. I want to install the game from the disk I purchased and play it at my leisure. Forcing me to install Steam is just blackmail after I already paid for the game. It should damn well be illegal to do what they are doing. Any class action lawyers out there looking to make a buck? I thought I was buying another game from Bethesda, but it is now obvious that I really bought a game from whomever these steam blackmailers are.

The game doesn't even install a link to skyrim, it installed a shortcut to steam. Sorry but thats not what I bought. I just wanted to "activate" the game not join steams online community. what backhanded crap this is.

I look forward to being able to play Skyrim without Steam and will promptly remove it from my computer first opportunity I get.

I'm sorry but I have to agree with the poster on this. I just bought Skyrim and was very annoyed that I was being blackmailed into installing Steam on my computer - if I wanted to play Skyrim. Didn't see anything on the box about having to join steam in order to play skyrim. Yeah I considered taking the dam thing back to the store, but thats the beauty of the blackmail scheme isn't it? I admit I don't know alot about Steam because I don't play online games. And thats fine with me I don't want to play online. I want to install the game from the disk I purchased and play it at my leisure. Forcing me to install Steam is just blackmail after I already paid for the game. It should damn well be illegal to do what they are doing. Any class action lawyers out there looking to make a buck? I thought I was buying another game from Bethesda, but it is now obvious that I really bought a game from whomever these steam blackmailers are.
*The game doesn't even install a link to skyrim, it installed a shortcut to steam. *Sorry but thats not what I bought. *I just wanted to "activate" the game not join steams online community. *what backhanded crap this is.

I look forward to being able to play Skyrim without Steam and will promptly remove it from my computer first opportunity I get.

I can understand your frustration having steam forced on you. I hated steam when it was forced on me a while back. That was before I used it And knew what it was. It really does work well and does not affect performance. You can create shortcuts to all your games and not even open the client if you don't want, although it will run in the background. I play 0 multi-player games it's not about that it's about game distribution.

Steam has really won me over. I still buy boxed games but install them to steam if supported. Not having to use disc's, automatic updates and killer deals especially during the holidays has really changed my mind about steam.

I almost forgot the best steam feature imo. I reinstall my os every 6mo. I keep steam on a seperate ssd. After I re-install I just delete everything in my steam folder except steamapps and steam.exe. Then run steam.exe and poof all 40 of my steam games re-installed with saves intact.

Last edited:

The game doesn't even install a link to skyrim, it installed a shortcut to steam. Sorry but thats not what I bought. I just wanted to "activate" the game not join steams online community. what backhanded crap this is.

Nice to see someone agrees. If you get the chance could you please post the above here. Thanks

stockholm syndrome

So sorry for your stockholm syndrome Sacichop. If you're now a happy victim, then thats great for you. However, some of us will not ever come to love our captors. You readily admit it was forced on you, but you have come to love it. That's kind of pathetic, but whatever.

None of what you said about why you've come to love it makes any difference to someone who simply doesn't want it. Didn't agree to buy it, or install it, much less use it. I don't like it being forced on me. But not to worry I suppose. The game does work in offline mode and I've disabled that online community crap as well. Although it will probably turn back on, on it's own sometime. So I think I'll take a few more steps to block its internet access via my firewall as well. In the meantime I'll play the game and wait for the inevitable steam workaround I"m sure is in the works.

You know, Microsoft got sued and lost for just this sort of thing.

So sorry for your stockholm syndrome Sacichop. If you're now a happy victim, then thats great for you. However, some of us will not ever come to love our captors. You readily admit it was forced on you, but you have come to love it. That's kind of pathetic, but whatever.

None of what you said about why you've come to love it makes any difference to someone who simply doesn't want it. Didn't agree to buy it, or install it, much less use it. I don't like it being forced on me. But not to worry I suppose. The game does work in offline mode and I've disabled that online community crap as well. Although it will probably turn back on, on it's own sometime. So I think I'll take a few more steps to block its internet access via my firewall as well. In the meantime I'll play the game and wait for the inevitable steam workaround I"m sure is in the works.

You know, Microsoft got sued and lost for just this sort of thing.

Actually you did agree to buy steam it states it clearly on the box. I was just trying to help you out didn't know you'd be a dick.

Back
Top Bottom