Hard to be a God - Preview @ Jolt UK

magerette

Hedgewitch
Jolt.co.uk is next to offer a preview of Akella's action rpg Hard to be A God, and overall seems positive about their experience with it:
In Hard to be a God, based on the book of the same name, two planets have taken divergent paths. One is essentially medieval in nature, while the other is much more recognisable as a modern Earth. As an agent from the second planet, you’re sent to investigate the other, and understand what makes it the way it is.
The very prospect of placing a contemporary-style character in a fantasy setting is pretty intriguing to us, but much more so than its brethren, HtbaG is an action RPG with consequences.
More information.

I'm still undecided on this one. Whether or not to give it a try, I mean.
Please, someone convince me one way or another.

Is it just dungeon siege / diablo with fancy graphics and a silly name?

Is it just dungeon siege / diablo with fancy graphics and a silly name?

Yes and no.

I'm not going to get ahead of myself because I still have to pen my preview, but Hard to be a God is really on two legs between hack & slash and RPG in a fairly surprising way. It's a sorta unique take, but it's also pretty confusing. I fear the average consumer reaction might be that it does not have enough hack & slash to please hack & slashers and not enough RPG to please RPGers. But I find the way it folds one genre around the other pretty interesting here and there.

Still have to finish it. Once I do I'll have a review ready THAT'LL KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF
(I'm taking PR classes from Molyneux)

Once I do I'll have a review ready THAT'LL KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF
(I'm taking PR classes from Molyneux)
Sorry ... knocking my socks off is SOOO 90's ... I need to have my eyes bleed or mouth froth to make it worth reading ;)

Sounds fun, inventing such stereotypes that contain body parts. ;)

Looking forward to the review. I loved the book (which I read WAY back in early seventies) but hold back from buying the game because through it is advertises as ARPG all the screenshots I have seen were showing combat.

Sorry ... knocking my socks off is SOOO 90's ... I need to have my eyes bleed or mouth froth to make it worth reading ;)

Imagine the best review you ever read

And then multiply it

BY A BILLION

zahratustra said:
I loved the book (which I read WAY back in early seventies)

I was too busy with not having been born yet in the 70's, but I did read Hard to be a God, and one more Noon book, though I can't remember which one. Very enjoyable, but I'm not a huge fan.

I got some signals from huge fans that it's not very faithful to the book/Noon universe, though, so perhaps something to be wary of.

Well, althrough I loved Hard to be a God, I loved Picnic by the Roadside even more :)

And thanks for the warning. I was affraid of just that....

Back
Top Bottom