Original Sin - Quickest Selling Game for Larian

I've heard that, which was the primary reason I started with the first one :)

But I'm strangely enjoying the streamlined and straightforward approach, and I think the main reason I originally dropped it was the lack of a save function.

This is nearly perfect for a quick snack - and the RPG system, as super simplistic as it is, is still kinda fun in an old-fashioned way.

I'd call it innocent fun which has made me accept its limitations by being so upfront about them :)

Glad you are enjoying Shadowrun after all!

On topic: very happy to hear this is doing well - we need Larian to prosper - as much to keep making RPGs as as an example for other independent studios that it's possible to "make it".

Of course, for the companies that usually say "TB don't sell" 160 k units probably IS "doesn't sell"

On topic: very happy to hear this is doing well - we need Larian to prosper - as much to keep making RPGs as as an example for other independent studios that it's possible to "make it".

Of course, for the companies that usually say "TB don't sell" 160 k units probably IS "doesn't sell"

I guess you got a point there. Well, I'm perfectly happy with Larian becoming the Paradox of RPGs. Paradox strategy games are not for everyone (though they're becoming more and more popular), but they obviously sell well enough for them to keep making those games, and they're awesome.

It depends on the company investment: if the company invests 100 million on a game to sell 160k units, then yes it does not sell.

In Larian case and the investment that they put in, then it sells extremely well for an indie.

I would expect them to sell more once more reviews start to appear on big web sites.

I would even like to go one step further and say and hope they become the 'other' CDProjekt of RPGs from this point onwards.

No. :)

Minimum pledge for a copy of the game was $25, which was selected by "only" 7,500 backers. So ~12,000 pledeged even more. For pledging more than $40 you got 2 copies, which was done by ~11,000.

So finally by Kickstarter they "sold" ~30,000 copies for ~$950,000, which is ~$32 in average.

So I think it's ok to include these 30,000 copies in overall sold units. ;)

Did I pay 25$ for this game ? :O

Oh well, hope it's good.

Also, they should breakeven by now then.

$1m for the kickstarter and then 130k copies sold at more than 30$ that's a total of $5m.

I read somewhere it cost 4m.

If they can use some of the other animations as assets, it shouldn't be that hard - but I'm not sure. Haven't looked into the editor aspect of the game.

But, so far, it's the only thing that's truly bothered me about the game.

That said, I've only spent a few hours on it. I'll wait a few weeks.

I managed to distract myself from Witcher 2 - and now I'm having a surprisingly good time with Shadowrun Returns, which I'd written off as "too little".

The writing is surprisingly engaging, but I'm digressing.

And here I thought it was the Witcher 1 that bored you and that you loved the Witcher 2 :D

And here I thought it was the Witcher 1 that bored you and that you loved the Witcher 2 :D

I think Witcher 1 wiped out much of my replay enjoyment which was actually inspired by Witcher 3 hype.

That said, I have to be honest and admit there are certain things in Witcher 2 that are quite annoying, like more "forced" sequences than I seem to remember. It's also much smaller in scope in reality than it seemed the first time I played it, and I guess it serves as a reminder that I'm simply more of a freeform guy when it comes to these huge sprawling RPGs.

Still, it's miles better than W1 - for me, I'm sorry to say.

Again, I'm digressing..... Sorry about that.

I wonder if that's easily moddable. Though it doesn't bother me, I'm sure a good % of players will not like it.

This game D:OS is very moddable. They provide an editor and infact one of the main design features was to make it not only modable but very easy for people to create their own campaign.

I hope that I'll be able to tell my own stories with that Editor ... But before that I rather play the game through ... ;)

Back
Top Bottom