|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Might & Magic X Review

Default RPGWatch Feature - Might & Magic X Review

July 21st, 2014, 21:38
I think a flee mechanic that rushes you back a few squares would we a welcome addition to a game like this. I haven't actually played the game myself, but being locked into combat seems a bit strange to me, because in many, many RPGs I've played, you're always able to run away from combat if you need to…

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

July 22nd, 2014, 19:21
I actually like that there is no "flee" mechanic, because this forces you to develop a "sense of danger" and to think before making a move into the wrong direction.

In fact I see most issues listed in some preceding posts as "negatives" to be "positives".

For example I made my first playthrough on standard difficulty with a mixed party (two mages and two hybrides - this is my default M&M approach) and now I started my second play through on hard with four mage types. And I love the difficulty spikes. Yes, you sometimes believe that there is no direction you can take without dying, but then you find the one fight, which you can manage, and everything flows again…

In fact nearly all the criticisms in preceding posts boil down to criticise the game for being too old school.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

+1:

July 22nd, 2014, 19:26
Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
In fact nearly all the criticisms in preceding posts boil down to criticise the game for being too old school.
Which is a shame. I'm sure the next Might & Magic game will listen to these criticisms and we'll get a nice, modern, dumbed-down version of the game .

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

July 22nd, 2014, 21:57
Which would then be the unspeakable MM IX I guess

I think some of these mechanics (like the movement) were simply necessary to put this game into a niche which at the same time gives it some spotlight.
It's still a title with low production costs compared to other titles and as such it can either pick a special audience or imitate other games and stand in their shadow.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

July 22nd, 2014, 23:27
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Which is a shame. I'm sure the next Might & Magic game will listen to these criticisms and we'll get a nice, modern, dumbed-down version of the game .
Or we might just get a game that's more on par with the best of the older titles. Also, you might want to consider actually playing the game before commenting on my criticisms.

gozioso

Watchdog

July 23rd, 2014, 00:11
MM X is a budget game (initial price 25$) that successfully recreates the feeling of old Wizardry (1-6) and Might & Magic (1-5) titles. Considering the small team and low budget they have done a very good job with a great passion for detail in background story and quest density.
It's a solid 8/10 from me.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Might & Magic X Review