Wasteland 2 - Update #4, Interviews

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Brian Fargo has posted a new Wasteland 2 update on Kickstarter as they approach $1.5M:
We are closing in on the funding for 1.5 million which will allow us to add both a Mac and Linux version of Wasteland 2 to the release. One of the (more common) questions I am asked is whether we'll support console and I believe it to be unlikely. It is imperative that we deliver the core PC experience that the fans are expecting here and I want to avoid any elements that could distract us. The console interface is quite different when you consider the input device and proximity to the screen whereas the Mac and Linux are pretty much identical to that of the "PC". We will consider a tablet version due to the similarity of the screen and interface but even on that we need to do a bit more research.
He also proposes a "Kick it Forward" concept that is quite exciting:
But in order to help facilitate the power of crowd funding I am going to suggest that all of us that do utilize this form of financing agree to kickback 5% of our profits made from such projects to other Kickstarter developers. I am not suggesting taking a backers money and moving it to another project.. I mean once a game has shipped and created profit that we funnel that back into the community of developers to fund their dreams. I am tentatively calling this "Kick It Forward" and I will be the first to agree to it. In fact, I will have our artists create a badge that goes on all Kickstarter projects that agree to support this initiative. Imagine the potential if another Minecraft comes along via Kickstarter and produces millions of dollars of investment into other developers.
By the way, for those holding back pledging because of the limited payment options, PayPal is coming:
PayPal support for #Wasteland2 is coming very soon for people without credit cards.
Fargo has also penned interviews for Slacker Heroes and GameIndustry.biz:
<strong style="color: #999999;">Q: [/b]At $1 million, your budget is a small fraction of the cost of typical console or PC game development. What corners will you cut to be able to bring the game in at this price? Will the game be a much shorter experience, or the graphics less detailed, in order to keep costs down?
Brian Fargo: We have a series of advantages in making this game for a reasonable budget. One large cost with making games these days are all of the cinematics that publishers spend on games, with costs that hit as much as $1.6 million per minute. Not only are they expensive, but they can cut down the options a player has in gameplay depending on design. We are also having a tremendous amount of pre-production done, such that all variables are nailed down at the start so that no cycles are wasted by designing on the fly.
We also save 20% plus in not having to prove to a publisher we know what we are doing or prepping for endless tradeshows. This sounds like a small thing, but developers have to halt production countless times for these things. Additionally, we will job out much of the art to keep our fixed overhead low. Wasteland 2 will be as big or bigger than Wasteland 1.
More information.

The 5% back to Kickstarter developers is genius! The application for such funds would have to follow a rigorous procedure to avoid fraud but it has such amazing potential to revolutionize the playing field even more than Kickstarter itself already has.

I like hearing about the 5% going back to other developers. Win lose or draw on the project itself, the kickback pledge will get attention. And hearing it won't be for consoles is just icing on the cake. I enjoy knowing that it will already be keyboard and mouse friendly.

-Carn

I like the 5% thing too. I'm pretty sure that the whole kickstarter thing will deflate soon but such an initiative might be what it needs to keep going. It makes sense that indie developers will have a far better chance to stand up to the mainstream if they actively support each other.

Back
Top Bottom