RPGWatch Feature - Blackguards 2 Gamescom Presentation

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is the summary of what I saw at Gamescom combined with what Senior Producer Kai Fiebig told me about Blackguards 2.

Johannes and Kai mentioned that one of the biggest problems with the first Blackguards was that players did not know how the rule system worked. The Dark Eye P&P rule system can be pretty complex and not easy to understand. In Blackguards 2 many of these more complicated rules have been implemented such that they are better understandable by the player. The word simplified comes to mind with some of the changes that were mentioned by Kai, such as the 16 attributes that are in TDE and are now grouped together to seven and the more direct relation between incrementing an attribute and the effect that would have for that character in the game.
Although things have been made easier to understand, Kai emphasizes that the game has become less complicated, but at the same time has become more complex.
More information.

For those who submitted questions for the Blackguards 2 interview, know that the answers to several of them are incorporated in the article.

Well I don't like this kind of simplification, but since the TDE rules are no longer available on the web (at least that I can find) then it's understandable.

Blackguards 1 - complicated ???
I don't even had to look in the manual for this game.

And I really, really hope they get the opportunity on day to make a BG 2 like game.

There are also no plans to bring any adventure titles to this world. They are aiming for something bigger for a future game. Something that incorporates more elements of an RPG, more skills, more talents and a bigger world. Whether or not this future game is Blackguards 3 was not shared, but Kai thinks it might be a big surprise once it is revealed.
Yay! :)

Although I think Blackguards was good game (and Blackguards 2 most likely will be good as well), I hope for a more classical RPG. Something like an improved Drakensang 2.

If there will ever be a BG2-like game with TDE setting and ruleset, I'd be in heaven. *dream*

Although I think Blackguards was good game (and Blackguards 2 most likely will be good as well), I hope for a more classical RPG. Something like an improved Drakensang 2.

If there will ever be a BG2-like game with TDE setting and ruleset, I'd be in heaven. *dream*

I agree. It was a good game, though I'd hoped for something a bit more involved. I never finished it, but it is on my short "to-finish" list.

I'd like them to keep the complex statistics and just explain it better. I'd also like to see strong use of negative traits, since that is a hallmark of the TDE rule set.

I think the RoA series got it about perfect. If this company were to create a spiritual successor to that series, I'd be first in line to buy!

But... BG2 like? This article is about BG2... OH! Baldur's Gate 2! Come on people, as my sister (the speech therapist) would say: use your words! ;)

These demons can be controlled if you have found the right tunes...
C A G E?

Its for porting to the Wii and Xbox dance pads. You just dance out the tune. Also in talks with Guitar Hero to use licenses for the same thing.

They don't have enough money to ever make such a game with a niche market like Germany, and a little bit in some Easter European countries and in North America.

However some kind of SRPG with queues taken from CRPGs and the Dark Eye system can be made quickly and for not too much money, and make a healthy profit. It's a very focused product that makes the venture possible, and people are still interested in it.

But... BG2 like? This article is about BG2... OH! Baldur's Gate 2! Come on people, as my sister (the speech therapist) would say: use your words! ;)

C A G E?
Haha... sorry, didn't even notice. :)
But BG2 does and will forever mean Baldur's Gate 2 in any context. ;)

Its for porting to the Wii and Xbox dance pads. You just dance out the tune. Also in talks with Guitar Hero to use licenses for the same thing.
The voice recording did say tunes as far as I got it and not runes.

I'd much prefer Drakensang-style over BG2-style but I guess it's nice to know that they are considering a richer RPG experience at all (Blackguards is not my cup of tea - I need a world to explore).

Myrthos said:
For those who submitted questions for the Blackguards 2 interview, know that the answers to several of them are incorporated in the article.

Thanks, Myrthos.
What about the other answers regarding their writing, Drakensang etc.? Did you have opportunity to chat about other things?

They don't have enough money to ever make such a game with a niche market like Germany

In fact Germany is probably the biggest PC market in Europe. Its big enough to be profitable for many niche and niche-in-niche studios. But I agree that they probably cant make BG2-style RPG in near future. On the other hand there is enough room to expand Blackguards in order to make it RoA-type game.
They can add local maps for exploration like dungeons, caves, ancient temples, bigger towns or interiors important for the story (using the assets and animations from combat arenas, so it will stay isometric, not FP as in RoA). There is no need to make explorable every location. They can leave less important vilages and towns as simple screens. Or they can add more screens for towns (some of them explorable upon solving a quest / puzzle or picking a lock). There can be more events and dialogues with NPCs while travelling on roads. They can add tracking and hunting skills (searching for new roads in wilderness, hunting).

Blackguards has enough content to build upon it and expand it pretty easily into RoA-type RPG. Hopefully they see the opportunity as well.

Back
Top Bottom