Risen - October 2nd International Release

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Great news for Risen fans with Deep Silver announcing an October 2nd international release date for both X360 and PC - the same day as announced earlier for Germany. The game has apparently been in beta for a few weeks with three QA teams - here's the full PR:
Risen to be launched on October 2nd
The RPG from the makers of Gothic has entered the Beta phase

Risen will make its international debut on October 02, 2009. The new RPG from the inventors of Gothic, Piranha Bytes, has already entered the Beta phase and is now being honed to perfection. Risen will be available for PC and Xbox 360®, the video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®.

"The release date for Risen enables us to introduce the game to the market in the best possible condition," says Daniel Oberlerchner, Brand Manager at Deep Silver. "We have been in the Beta phase here for several weeks, and now our focus lies on eliminating the remaining bugs."

The contents of Risen are already complete, and all dialogs have been recorded. A total of three quality assurance teams are working on the game – one directly at Piranha Bytes, one at Deep Silver, plus an additional external studio.

About Risen:
This epic role playing game is set in a medieval world on a volcanic Mediterranean island, The “Risen” story unfolds over four chapters and will offer multiple ways to develop the story by his own actions and decisions. An innovative and intuitive user control interface will support both casual and hardcore gamers. With full world streaming support, the player will have a seamless experience while playing in a fully simulated game world with authentic characters.

Risen will be released for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows® operating system. More information about Risen on http://risen.deepsilver.com
More information.

Now to see if 'International' includes Australia!! Bet my local EB hasn't heard of the game. At least I was able to pre-order Dragon Age though which also has an October release date here!!

That's weird, I thought I replied to this threading saying "Great news period."

So anyway

Great news.
Period.

Now to see if 'International' includes Australia!! Bet my local EB hasn't heard of the game.

Do European titles like these with swearing, violence and - presumably - sex match up well with the Australian videogame codes? Honest question, because Australia's policy towards videogames is starting to confuse me.

So we get Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol and now Risen, too?!
Damn, why are all three hitting shelves in October?
Guess it's going to be a looooooong gaming session. :D

Countries covered by DS directly:

- DACH
- UK
- F
- It
- Benelux (PR today!)
- USA

They need an external publisher or distributor everywhere else.

So we get Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol and now Risen, too?!
Damn, why are all three hitting shelves in October?

Are they? I didn't realize Alpha Protocol was that close to being finished.

Risen is the only one I care about right now. I'll grab the other 2 later on if the feedback is positive enough.

Hmm...., might have to order it from either the UK, or US. Dhruin, where do you plan to get your copy from this time?

Do European titles like these with swearing, violence and - presumably - sex match up well with the Australian videogame codes? Honest question, because Australia's policy towards videogames is starting to confuse me.

My impression: In short, yes. That is, 'Mature' European titles do not get either banned or censored here. The Australian Censor's office is not as prudish in approach as the publicity around some of their decisions suggests. Games that get banned or forced to change are ones that stray into exploitation - Manhunt for example, and GTA (it was the sleeping with a prostitute then bashing her for the money afterward which was found untenable). The approach is piecemeal and there is plenty of lee-way for violence and sex.

Hmm...., might have to order it from either the UK, or US. Dhruin, where do you plan to get your copy from this time?

Almost certainly the UK. There are several stores that are fast and cheap and Royal mail has never let me down - plus Deep Silver has an office there, so I know it will be released on time.

I'm with Twinfalls - it's not as big a problem as the 'net overreaction would suggest. There are some specific issues - graphic depiction of realistic drug use (FO3), sexualised violence (GTA) but, in general, we get everything here. We got the full Witcher as far as I know, for example.

I have an advance order for Dragon Age at Gamestop. If Risen comes out first I will move the money to that game. Dragon Age is number four on my list after, Risen, Arcadia, Div Div 2 and then Dragon Age.

and GTA (it was the sleeping with a prostitute then bashing her for the money afterward which was found untenable).
Having sex and then bashing is too bad for Australian's psyche but...

We got the full Witcher as far as I know, for example.
...Having sex and then letting peasants burn the woman is okay :D

Almost certainly the UK. There are several stores that are fast and cheap and Royal mail has never let me down - plus Deep Silver has an office there, so I know it will be released on time.

Please send me a link when you decide where to get it then, so I can order a copy too.

Does that mean the battle system is finished now? { excuse me for being skeptical, but I will not believe Risen is finished until I have played it without encountering a hoard of bugs and other problems }

Does that mean the battle system is finished now? { excuse me for being skeptical, but I will not believe Risen is finished until I have played it without encountering a hoard of bugs and other problems }

A bit of scepticism is warranted considering the track record, but if they're in beta now, then yes, such game design elements have most likely been finished and jsut need polishing and working out of bugs. With this much time for beta testing, we might maybe hope for a stable release? Maybe?

I'm with Twinfalls - it's not as big a problem as the 'net overreaction would suggest. There are some specific issues - graphic depiction of realistic drug use (FO3), sexualised violence (GTA) but, in general, we get everything here. We got the full Witcher as far as I know, for example.

The drug use thing in Fallout 3 was more silly than serious, I still can't believe the attention it got from everyone, as if it was a big controversy.

Ok, clear enough. One does get a different picture of the country by just reading gaming media, but I supposed they tend to overstate thing to make the headlines more appealing.

Grrrrrrr!!!!!! What the hell is it with these October release dates? My girlfriend's heading over to Australia a month before our wedding there 1st October (she's been made redundant & her parents are over there so she may as well take the opportunity for an extra holiday) so I'd have a massive gaming opportunity for a whole month and EVERYTHING I want to play seems to be coming out after that point.

Are there any RPGs with a pre October release date?

Countries covered by DS directly:

- DACH
- UK
- F
- It
- Benelux (PR today!)
- USA

They need an external publisher or distributor everywhere else.

thnk mr x for a benelux release on that day. an instant buy.

Looking forward to this one and great news it's getting a hearty amount of Q&A.

Grrrrrrr!!!!!! What the hell is it with these October release dates? My girlfriend's heading over to Australia a month before our wedding there 1st October (she's been made redundant & her parents are over there so she may as well take the opportunity for an extra holiday) so I'd have a massive gaming opportunity for a whole month and EVERYTHING I want to play seems to be coming out after that point.

Are there any RPGs with a pre October release date?

Well if you can tolerate your rpgs mixed with a heavy dose of strategy, Disciples III and the King's Bounty expansion, Armored Princess are supposedly slated for September and there's a rumor that Divinity 2 will be out in September also, (earlier in Germany) so you may be able to snag that. I can see how immersing yourself in Risen, Dragon Age, etc over your honeymoon might not be the best way to get your marriage off to a roaring start.

Congratulations on the nuptials. :)

Back
Top Bottom