Risen 2 - Preview Roundup # 2

Didn't you just enjoy Dungeon Siege 3 a lot? :)

Sure, but the pace is quite different from that of Gothic or Risen. A dungeon in DS3 is over in about 10 minutes, and then it's yet another change of scenery.

Sure, but the pace is quite different from that of Gothic or Risen. A dungeon in DS3 is over in about 10 minutes, and then it's yet another change of scenery.

Makes sense.

Have you, by chance, played any Gothic-like game in which you enjoyed dungeons?

One of the problems I have with dungeons is that I get lost in them and then I start to run around like chicken and begin to dislike them! So I think there need to be subtle clues inside the dungeon to help to navigate them. For example lights, direction of water etc.

In some games I leave items from my inventory on the floor so I know I my way! However its pain going back and picking them up again so I wish that games will implement bread crumps!

Makes sense.

Have you, by chance, played any Gothic-like game in which you enjoyed dungeons?

Other than Gothic you mean?

Hmm, Morrowind had some pretty decent ones. Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas generally had pretty good dungeons too - not too short, not too long, and with enough variety to make it interesting.

Risen had a few decent dungeons, but the longer ones were a drag.

Hmm, Morrowind had some pretty decent ones. Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas generally had pretty good dungeons too - not too short, not too long, and with enough variety to make it interesting.

I was just wondering the basis for your opinion of dungeons.

Obviously, tastes differ, but since I find dungeons to be so great when done well, I was just thinking that maybe you haven't tried the really good ones.

Ultima IX, Ultima Underworld, Eye of the Beholder, Stonekeep, and so on - all had great dungeons with lots of variety.

I was just wondering the basis for your opinion of dungeons.

Obviously, tastes differ, but since I find dungeons to be so great when done well, I was just thinking that maybe you haven't tried the really good ones.

Ultima IX, Ultima Underworld, Eye of the Beholder, Stonekeep, and so on - all had great dungeons with lots of variety.

Generally, if dungeons take too long to complete, I get bored. Examples: Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. A lot of players consider those dungeons brilliant, but I just find them boring.

Generally, if dungeons take too long to complete, I get bored. Examples: Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. A lot of players consider those dungeons brilliant, but I just find them boring.

It's official... there's something wrong with you. ;)

I tend to agree, if the game is about open-world exploration.

But I'm not asking for overlong dungeons in Risen 2. Just more variety and incentives to explore them.

+1. Same in the first Drakensang there was a dungeon with like 2000 rats. Could probably make another 10 examples of horrible filler dungeons if i think for a while..

They're ok as long as they're over in 10-15 mins.

I don't mind games that takes place completely in dungeons though, like Ultima Underworld or Arx Fatalis, probably because it wasnt just filler crap, but something they had actually cared for.

Morrowind has dugouts and no dungeons :)

The original Bard's Tale series has dungeons!

+1. Same in the first Drakensang there was a dungeon with like 2000 rats. Could probably make another 10 examples of horrible filler dungeons if i think for a while..
C´mon, you can´t seriously put shitty feature-less repetitive Drakensang´s dungeons in the same category as Durlag´s Tower and Watcher´s Keep.
DT´s and WK´s problem may be that they´re not more tightly integrated with the rest of the games they´re in (which however also means they´re entirely optional), but other than that they´re both pretty damn good throwbacks to traditional dungeon crawls.
Both contain own story/stories, both are divided into levels which all have their distinct theme, both are filled with variety of traps and puzzles, both contain a great variety of (sometimes rather creative) combat encounters and both also contain a good amount of dialogues with the characters player meets in them.
I´m not saying they´re flawless, but Drakensang´s ratfest they definitely aren´t.

Last edited:
+1. Same in the first Drakensang there was a dungeon with like 2000 rats. Could probably make another 10 examples of horrible filler dungeons if i think for a while.

Oh come on, that dungeon was a damned joke about rpgs.

One of the problems I have with dungeons is that I get lost in them and then I start to run around like chicken and begin to dislike them! So I think there need to be subtle clues inside the dungeon to help to navigate them. For example lights, direction of water etc.

In some games I leave items from my inventory on the floor so I know I my way! However its pain going back and picking them up again so I wish that games will implement bread crumps!

We actually did put bread crumbs in U6P!! :)

Back
Top Bottom