Last game you finished, tell us about it

How are the zombies in this one? You know me... I like destroyin me some zombii

Resident Evil 4 moved from virus-infested zombies into a host-controlling parasite known as Las Plagas. RE5 continues this tradition by adding more variation to the parasite. The "zombies" are known as the "Majini" which means "Evil Spirit" in swahili. In general they are infested with a more advanced parasite than that of RE4, this one inserted through the mouth with a more rapid takeover. Like many modern zombie movies (such as 28 Days Later) the Majini's are fast and seems to be in berserk. When attacking in close combat the parasite can pop out from the mouth like extended jaws. Story-wise there are more to them than that, but I'll leave that up to you to find.

Not a strict follower of RE, tho I do own 1 &2 on console and have beatn them both, but never played the "inbetween" installments or part 3.

After finishing Resident Evil 4 on PC I bought a GameCube and played through RE0-3+Codename Veronica. I also recently watched a complete playthrough of Umbrella Chronicles on youtube as I cannot afford a WII atm. The remake of Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil 0 and Codename Veronica were my favorites.

Without mentioning spoilers RE5 actually tie back to pretty much every game of the series. It was RE0 that begin to explore the background of the company Umbrella which RE5 ties into. I also felt a hint about Billy Coen's background. The main characters in RE1 are, if not main, at least important characters in RE5. Events in RE3 are used as plotdevices to explain some background to some events in RE5. Monsters from RE4 returns in RE5. The ongoing vendetta during RE5 ties back to Codename Veronica. What happened with Umbrella is explained in Umbrella Chronicles and actually even more in the animated movie. There's a slight homage to RE2 as well but I let you find out about that one, even if RE2 is the least attached to RE5 storywise.

Last edited:
I downloaded the Xbox demo of RE5, but deleted again after less than 10 minutes when I realized that RE5 had the exact same control/UI issues that made me quit RE4 before I reached the first village. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

Back on topic; I just finished King's Bounty and it was every bit as great as everyone has been saying here on the Watch. It was a long wait for it to be released in Denmark but it was worth it.

What control/UI issues? Which version (port) of RE4 did you play?

I have the PS2 version. It would probably be more correct of to say that *I* have issues with the controls and the UI, rather than saying that the game is at fault.

I just can't stand the way that the protagonist just stands there like a tree, blocking large parts of the view completely unable to move while trying to dispatch endless mobs of baddies constantly coming at you from one of your numerous blindsides. I guess that is supposed to be part of the charm of the game but to me it is just too annoying to stomach.

When starting the RE5 demo you watch a nice cutscene and then you find yourself in a tiny shack with endless streams of zombies pouring in from at least 4 different sides and that was when I quit and chalked it off as a "no buy".

Perhaps I just don't get it and I'm doing it all wrong - that is not at all unlikely. Or perhaps it is just another game "style", like the GTA games, that I just don't find appealing.

The demo-map, which I believe is episode 1:1 or 1:2, is the most difficult map in the entire game as far as I concern. The reason for this is that you must survive a set amount of minutes in a very deadly environment before you had the time to learn the controls properly with limited ammo and crappy weapons to boot. I think it was the same with RE4, the village early on was one of the most difficult maps unless you knew some tricks involving a closed door and a knife.

Personally I was amazed over how quickly I got used to the controls. I generally ended up at 60-70% accuracy rating and the lowest score I got was 3 maps with "B" as score (on normal), which I increased to A or S after replaying them.

Persona 4

Great game. Great story. Not as many 'jRPG cliches' as usual (yes, you're still a 16 or 17 year old kid, but the story is very original imho). Several endings, enjoyable concept, plenty of strategic decisions to be made (in the form of Persona 'crafting' and battlewise, finding and exploiting each opponent's vulnerabilities while trying not to expose yours). Plenty of gametime too, over 60 hours I believe.
Give me Persona 5 over Diablo 3 any time!

Well, I finished Drakensang, and as it's just now in everyone's mind, there is not much else to tell about it. I quite enjoyed it, which in part is due to the fact that I did not have too high expectations from the very beginning. If you expect a linear game, the actual experience doesn't really disappoint anymore. Also the bad last chapter was within expectations. So, yes, I liked it. It's a solid game.

Mask of the Betrayer for the first time.

Since I´ve never played a NWN game before and due to not having enough time I skipped the original campaign (well, I wasn´t that much interested in it anyway), playing it on hardcore rules was a reasonably challenging experience.
Played as a dual wielding bard/red dragon disciple with extra attention to social skills.

Story was intriguing and well told, characters original and well written, setting varied and often very atmospheric.
I really liked the whole spirit eating mechanics, it has given the story more weight and urgency, though its implementation wasn´t flawless.
Game has a good balance between combat, exploration, dialoguing and puzzling and obviously offers a lot of ways how to get through it.

Negatives were mostly on the technical side but nothing major.
The most difficult battle was the camera controls/settings encounter which took me about 10 hours to defeat plausibly.

Got 100 influence with three available joinables, except for Okku since I almost haven´t used him.
My bard20/rdd10 killed last boss on third try and got a good ending.
For me, the game peaked at the end of chapter 2. The last one felt, as usual eh, a bit rushed, but the overall conclusion was satisfying.

I´m already looking forward to replaying it with an evil character.

Replayed the Witcher for the first time since installing the EE. Not much to say that hasnt been mentioned. On the obscure side I think the simple added variety in NPC colours had a surprisingly positive effect.

Finished DOWII singleplayer campaign.

I liked it, fun game, but a bit repetitive and not really difficult except for short bursts of near impossibility. Like one instance of fighting the Avatar of Khorne w/ my small squads. Just the avatar was an insane fight alone, but then they dump in vehicles and all kinda stuff on top. Good thing we could retreat, regroup and head back.
Think I'm gonna restart on the harder difficulty.

The graphics were good, and the Warhammer ultra-violence was in full effect, i hope they have some more races (chaos!) coming in the future. It was definitely a scaled back RTS experience w/ no base building at all, and no cranking out of units. You get a certain number of units, and that's it. "Everyone's a medic" and as long as someone's alive you can heal up everyone else. I dont like the save system, as there really is no mid-mission save so you cant save a certain point and try different things.

Last games:

Geneforge 5: Overthrow
Grand Finale of the Geneforge series - If you like the series you like this one, too.
Good story, tactical combat, very good character development, many things to craft.

Left 4 Dead:
Great (not too serious) zombie shooter.

King's Bounty:
Great Heroes of Might & Magic clone with many new gameplay ideas.

Just beat Half Life II

It was definitely a fun game, I can see why it's so highly regarded. It offered a pretty nice variety of scenarios, and lots of little puzzles. I always like the urban warfare thing, and was in heaven towards the end fighting the striders & soldiers in the ruins. However, if I do play it again someday, I'm surely going to play a higher difficulty setting. I usually play everything on "normal" or equivelent, but in this game they just throw so much healing stuff at you it's ridiculous. I'm smashing crates just to get some ammo and *BLooOP** fully healed. Medic characters healing me. Healing stations everywhere (which i seldom used). At one point, my arch-nemesis says something over the public indoctrination screens to the effect of "he's just one ordinary man, how can he have owned us so consistently?" I'll tell ya how, your knucklehead minions littered the entire landscape w/ insta-heals! I had to consistently avoid them to make the game challenging, shooters for me are the most fun when I'm at like 30% health. Gets the blood pumping, makes every shot count.

It was fun, I dont think I'm going to play any expansions or anything tho, not a big shooter fan but wanted to get it off the slate. I need to try and finish King's Bounty.

It was fun, I dont think I'm going to play any expansions or anything tho, not a big shooter fan but wanted to get it off the slate.

It would be a huge mistake to blow off the expansions Sammy. If you enjoyed HL2 then you really need to play Episodes 1&2. They expand upon the story nicely, and they're a lot more challenging as well.

yeah, after reading a few reviews, they sounded really good so I decided to play them. Ive come this far, you know - and episode one sounds like a lot of the old urban warfare which I dig so much. Just got them off Steam and I already had the little "Lost Coast" thing on there too. Here we gooo.........

I tend to nitpick at HL2 because I don't think it is 'gods gift to shooters' as some do (too much on rails, 'gimmick gun', and some others), but it is definitely an excellent shooter and the 'Episodes', while failures as 'Episodic Content', are also well worth playing.

finished episode 1, just emerged from the mine on episode 2.

Yeah, they were really happy about that gravity gun werent they?:biggrin:

Alyx had more of a personality on ep1, there's a few instances where she was joking around w/ me, was a nice touch. The last section of the subway was pretty brutal and kinda freaky, but it was fun. I got turned around down there and the flashlight went out and all hell broke loose, good times.
Then it all ended a little too soon, but it was worth the cash.

Just finished Episode 2 and Lost Coast.

Worth playing, it was a bit better than part 1. Had fun cruising w/ Alyx in my car, those hunters at first really upped the difficulty a bit til I got better at fighting them. I had a lot of fun w/ the strider finale at the end. Lost coast was kinda interesting. Looks really good for it's age too. When i look at the game how I played it @ it's second to highest resolution setting of 1900 x1200, it's looking about as good as a game needs to look and runs great.

I had fun w/ it, hope that Episode3 comes along soon....

Just finished Deus Ex: Invisible war.

Definitely not as bad as some people make it out to be, although it's nowhere near as good as Deus Ex. The worst thing about it is how slow the first half of the game is, but I thought the last few levels were actually very good. The story was its strongest feature, and it's worth playing for that alone imho, although I was disappointed at how drastically some of the characters had changed from the first game.

That concludes an excellent run of crpgs for me over the last 6-7 weeks. I finished VtM:Bloodlines, The Witcher, Deus Ex, and DX:IW.

Back
Top Bottom