The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Good one, HiddenX. Song had a bit of 80s ska to it and the campy video fit the tone very well. I liked the drummer doing the puppydog eyes and then headbutting Lara.

emusic has all of their albums dte if you are interest. the 2 cd's of theirs i have 'taste like ginger' and 'pandora's box' are good. if i ever join emusic again, which i probably will, i'll download the album you got and another one of their earlier ones perhaps.

checked out arcana a group on the same label as theirs, in europe at least.
wow some really good tracks. conjours up a dead can dance feel on some, and others a lighter goth/celtic feel to them.

I keep going back to Words by Kate Miller-Heidke (I also love Career Advice and her version of Psychokiller), Garbage and (I am ashamed to admit) listening to the Buffy the Vampire Slayer soundtrack and Radio Sunnydale (I know it is very sad, but there are some great songs on the CD's) and of course, still the Chili Peppers, Dresden Dolls, Green Day and Living End. My musical tastes wander, but I usually come back to the same music... and every now and then add a new song or a new artist.

These days I'm mostly listening to very early Pink Floyd (pre UmmaGumma). Titles like "See Emily Play", "Let there be more light", "Interstellar Overdrive" and Embryo.

Free-floating psychedelia. Yay!

I've also recently discovered The Mars Volta. They're completely nuts! But I lik'em.

Last edited:
Today it´s Bloody Kisses for me , easily the best album by Type O Negative.

Everything fell so greatly together on this record.
Great mix of melodies, atmospheres, dark romanticism, anarchy, sense of humor and idiosyncratic production and song structures made this record excellent from start to finish.

Christian Woman - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9mk-02JgWI
Too Late (Frozen) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcW6Pfh_fAw
We Hate Everyone - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z81Caod8ZlY
Bloody Kisses - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrBkG3Cx8jo
I Can' t Loose You - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxF_oBjl2Uo

A beautiful album! Jesus Christ looks like me, oh yeah :).

- Steve Reich - Works 1965 - 1995
- Herbie Hancock Box Set - nice 4 CD set on sale for 99 cents

Wow ... didn't realize the value I was getting ...
Herbie Hancock Box - 4 wonderful CD's of 70's and 80's stuff.

Steve Reich Works 1965 - 1995
- now this is really just amazing ... ***10 CD's *** of the minimalist master at work ... just mind-boggling stuff.

On the other hand ... I also got John Mclaughlin's new Floating Point. Not terrible, but it could have been called 'what's the point' ... and I am once again reminded that the last time I really *loved* something of his was in 1984 with the Mahavishnu group with Jonas Hellborg. (the 1986 Adventures in Radioland was OK, but certainly not up to the promise of stuff he was doing live at the time when I saw them)

One of the classics of the genre:

"Pearl" by Chapterhouse

The video blows, so it's almost better to just close your eyes and let the tune wash over you. Bonus points to the Einstein that identifies the guest female vocalist without looking it up.

I was disappointed with Ether Aura's new direction (from gazer to alt-country), but they've got a cover tune up (and available for download) that's pretty good:
"Last Night I Dreamt" by Ether Aura

For today, I'm spending some time with a new discovery. I haven't found a clip for the song that got me started ("Unfamiliar"), but there's some interesting stuff on their MySpace page. A little goth, a little industrial, a little new wave, and a lot of fun.
"Weekend" by The Birthday Massacre

80's goodness for today. I've been spending some quality time with an 80's station on Live365 and this one caught my ear.

"There's Something Going On" by Frida

More inspiration from Generation 80s on Live365:

"Locomotion" by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

Back to The Birthday Massacre for me. I might have to drop some money for a cd. Sammy, you might actually enjoy "Blue" with Chibi doing that death metal growl you like. I'm losing a little of my obscurity cred, though. TBM has 100,000+ MySpace friends (Ladytron is the only other 6 figure band I've added).

Trackwise, I think "Goodbye" is my favorite for today.

@dte: while I'm not too convinced of The Birthday Massacre in CD form, they are really intense when performing on a small stage. Quite something to watch.

I'm listening to Moi Dix Mois when driving... at least been doing it for the last two days. Dang, these guys are... difficult to listen to.

i kinda like moi dix moi. Kinda. Nocturnal Romance is pretty cool. Tho being in japanese definitely hinders the experience.

Cant get into the Birthday Massacre.

I'm listening to Tiger Army quite a bit lately, got my girl into them, and now theyre like our official band. This is gettin serious ='.'=

Back
Top Bottom