Skyrim Anyone know how to run skyrim without steam?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
And finally, does Steam prevent piracy? I don't have enough data to make any valid comment - but I note that 'cracked' (i.e. non-Steam) versions of Skyrim are now freely available on certain sites.

Steam-free Skyrim has been available on these certain sites since 11/10/2011, i.e. a day before the official release of the game so Steam did (unfortunately if I may add) not even prevent zero day piracy in Skyrim's case. It probably had to do with the fact that the original Skyrim.exe did not require Steam to run so Skyrim ended up being very easy prey for the usual suspects.

it's not just DRM, theyre using it to track what people play & buy. So what. Gabe and his henchmen now know that Ive played 80 hours of Barbies Underwater Adventure. For my trouble, Ive gotten tons of fully patched games for next to nothing.

being scared of/hating/being offended by steam is so 2005. Get a new cause already, at this point youre one of about ten people who even give a shit anymore.

I agree with the original poster. So, because it doesn't bother you that you have someone spying over your shoulder, it shouldn't bother me?

Just because you feel it an adequate trade doesn't mean I do. And just because I'm cautious (read that paranoid) doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I detest Steam. Valve has found the ultimate marketing tool and has a totally enslaved audience. I am so damned offended by it that I refuse to play Skyrim - a total waste of money - and I will NEVER play a game that requires me to fill in one iota of information to those parasites.

It's not about copy protection..... imagine if you could do someting like google or facebook.... but for gamers?

Disconnect your internet and load Steam, see what happens, then stop worrying.

Steam hate is pretty old news.

I have been playing Skyrim in Offline Mode for several months. Tonight. I forgot to go offline before clicking my Skyrim desktop link.

Usually I am playing Skyrim in hotels that only have WiFi. So I just turned my WiFi laptop receiver off and double-clicked the icon. I instantly started saying out loud to my self, "no no no!" while I disconnected the cat5 cable.

40 minutes later I ended up on this forum and 20 minutes ago I still couldn't play Skyrim in online or offline mode. Steam prompts an error stating that "Skyrim is unavailable".

Pretty much why I panic'd and started saying out loud to my self, "no no no!". Some part of me knew that I would be here right now unable to play Skyrim because of that silly loss of fucus..

I still can't understand Steam hate. STILL.

Although the person with the reverse caps post illustrates the way these peoples minds must work.

Sounds like you play Skyrim on an xbox or playstation.

I have created almost half a dozen (5) popular Skyrim MODs for the PC. There's only one thing funner than playing a good game, and that's making MODs for it that others can enjoy.

But sadly, I cannot even run Skyrim right now for the past 45 minutes thanks to Steam.

Time to make another MOD.

PS. This is the worst forum I have ever dealt with in my life. I get logged off every 5 minutes. So this will probably be my last post.

It's not about copy protection….. imagine if you could do someting like google or facebook…. but for gamers?

Yeah see I'm not interested in online games or social networking so it doesn't work or appeal to me.

Yeah see I'm not interested in online games or social networking so it doesn't work or appeal to me.

Guess we are old school. Time for us to just act like an average teenibopper lollypop 21st Century moron that thinks the Twilight Saga is cool and the spoofs are funny.

Steam is awesome, haters are carebears, and anyone that thinks a mouse is more accurate than a game controller is stupid.

Sounds like you play Skyrim on an xbox or playstation.

I have created almost half a dozen (5) popular Skyrim MODs for the PC. There's only one thing funner than playing a good game, and that's making MODs for it that others can enjoy.

But sadly, I cannot even run Skyrim right now for the past 45 minutes thanks to Steam.

Time to make another MOD.

PS. This is the worst forum I have ever dealt with in my life. I get logged off every 5 minutes. So this will probably be my last post.

I've never had a problem getting on steam and never been logged off of this forum. Are you sure you don't have something wrong with your pc?

I've never had a problem getting on steam and never been logged off of this forum. Are you sure you don't have something wrong with your pc?

Not sure. For one. I travel for a living. Enough for me to get out of the house renting nighmare and buy my own house. Sadly I am not at home, refer to sentence three.

Skyrim is a single player game. I always try to avoid logging in to Steam before playing due to hotel internet speeds.

If it's my PC though. That means it's both of my travel laptops (game laptop and work laptop).. seems a tad unlikely. Works fine at home. But sadly I don't play at home. Games are my vice on the road.

Probably going to get trolled for this but. I usually just play WoW when on the road. But seriously, WoW is more stable and consistent than trying to play Skyrim (a single player game) with Steam in the mix at a hotel.

Could be a problem with my PC though. I am on this forum on the work PC. and I am not allowed to edit the security settings. Might be why I keep getting logged off the forums.

Last edited:
Not sure. For one. I travel for a living. Enough for me to get out of the house renting nighmare and buy my own house. Sadly I am not at home, refer to sentence three.

Skyrim is a single player game. I always try to avoid logging in to Steam before playing due to hotel internet speeds.

If it's my PC though. That means it's both of my travel laptops (game laptop and work laptop).. seems a tad unlikely. Works fine at home. But sadly I don't play at home. Games are my vice on the road.

Probably going to get trolled for this but. I usually just play WoW when on the road. But seriously, WoW is more stable and consistent than trying to play Skyrim (a single player game) with Steam in the mix at a hotel.

Could be a problem with my PC though. I am on this forum on the work PC. and I am not allowed to edit the security settings. Might be why I keep getting logged off the forums.

Yeah, that's the caveat of pc gaming. Too many different configurations. What works fine for one guy, doesn't work for the next.

I don't play wow or any mmo's for that matter but, there's nothing wrong with it. Over 10 million people playing wow so who cares what a few troll's might think.:)

Yeah, that's the caveat of pc gaming. Too many different configurations. What works fine for one guy, doesn't work for the next.

I don't play wow or any mmo's for that matter but, there's nothing wrong with it. Over 10 million people playing wow so who cares what a few troll's might think.:)

Still think we need to get back to a better time. Like Disneys Stunt Island? Seriously? Best PC game of all time! Damn you learning curve!

And FPS games where you can tilt back and forth to make snipers whine? But still have fun head-shotting them when they try the tilt sillyness.

RTS games like Battlezone. Download it, play the single playing, be open minded with the old GFX and enjoy. Atleast Youtube "Battlezone Intro".

What happened to Relic? Homeworld?

And flight/space flight simulators. Where's the love?

We've received very few complaints about login problems in the last couple of years. Please clear your cookies and try again. Make sure the "stay logged in" (or something like that) checkbox is activated. On my browser it's off by default.

Guess we are old school. Time for us to just act like an average teenibopper lollypop 21st Century moron that thinks the Twilight Saga is cool and the spoofs are funny.

Steam is awesome, haters are carebears, and anyone that thinks a mouse is more accurate than a game controller is stupid.

Its just the sign of the times I'm afraid to say. Evey one assumes everyone is connected and loves social networking. Hell I never used twitter/facebook/google plus and get this I never bought or will buy an apple product or smartphone.

Freaky isn't we do exist but were cavemen as blizzards Vp of marketing call us . We shouldn't exist. Hell I might as well say I also don't use my consoles online either. Waste of time and money:roll:

There are easier ways to justify piracy to oneself than nonsensical hatred of one companies means of digital distribution. Particularly since it's Steam which has many benefits to it, most of them documented in this very thread. Then you can enjoy the best of both worlds.

Also, I own Skyrim on Steam. I can play offline, any time. Nobody is watching what I do when I play, other than the achievement tracker and I doubt anyone gives a shit about that. Also, when an update is released- I'll get it automatically and not have to worry about scrounging around torrent sites and shady filehosts for the scene cracked update, whenever they get around to releasing it.

Actually I resent this a little:

1. I recently moved house and bought a number of games for the first time in a long time because I had no internet - I could not play them because of fucking Steam forcing me to have a net connection before playing.

2. Before installing Steam a little before xmas I received about 1-2 BSODs a year for a decade+. Since installing Steam I have had about 50 BSODs, a blown up high-end PSU, and have spent about £500 buying new hardware not realising how appauling a piece of software could be written, and how dangerous a commercial and popular one could be (I am a software engineer).

So I do actually resent Steam just a little for causing be months of headache, money and shitness. I bought all these games legitimately and Steam has made it a horrible experience. I will now be forced to crack my own games since I have just uninstalled Steam as I don't want it to break my PC any more.

Steam doesn't cause "BSODs" and hardware failure. That'd be your inability to use your PC.

Actually I resent this a little:

1. I recently moved house and bought a number of games for the first time in a long time because I had no internet - I could not play them because of fucking Steam forcing me to have a net connection before playing.

You couldn't steal games because you had no internet. So you bought games that required an internet connection??????

2. Before installing Steam a little before xmas I received about 1-2 BSODs a year for a decade+. Since installing Steam I have had about 50 BSODs, a blown up high-end PSU, and have spent about £500 buying new hardware not realising how appauling a piece of software could be written, and how dangerous a commercial and popular one could be (I am a software engineer).

It's good that your a software engineer, because you apparently don't know anything about hardware. Steam is not blowing up your psu. What does having 1-2 bsods\year for a decade have to do with anything? Unless you've had the same pc for that long, which could also explain your hardware problems.

So I do actually resent Steam just a little for causing be months of headache, money and shitness. I bought all these games legitimately and Steam has made it a horrible experience. I will now be forced to crack my own games since I have just uninstalled Steam as I don't want it to break my PC any more.

Face it, you don't like steam so you made up a bunch of bs. How about just say you don't like steam and leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom