Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Retrospective @ Low Fat Gaming

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Low Fat Gaming has posted a new retrospective for Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

What does it mean to be human? What is the price we pay for supposed evolution? Deus Ex: Human Revolution is not afraid to tackle some seriously heavy themes. Do you know when hippies are exposed to something they deem eye-opening they say: “woah man”? That was basically me at every turn. The writers efficaciously wrap up these engrossing themes in systems of sophisticated characterisation. It is clear that for the get-go Eidos had a strong focus on developing characters, not costumes. What is this bloke’s plan? Why did he say that?
More information.

I didn't get much "woah man" out of the game but it was still fairly fun. Where's the follow up title (that I would hope is not called Deus Ex 2)?

Deus Ex 4: Unseeable Battle

For iOS and android.

I always find it ironic that I haven't played the games which are covered during these "retrospectives". The phrase always makes me think of something further in the past.
Still, Human Revolution is waiting in my steam list for installation and play...

I didn't get much "woah man" out of the game but it was still fairly fun. Where's the follow up title (that I would hope is not called Deus Ex 2)?

Woah (man)!The game's main theme of transhumanism ie 'how much can technology be allowed to change us, before we no cease to be "human" has enough 'woah man' to last a 14 day UN symposium.

It would be cool to jump 10 feet - but what the manufacturer owned a kill switch? On what basis would such enhancements be distributed? On cash alone? Won't that leave an underclass behind? Could someone hack into your mind?

What about the 'privatized police' theme where the game offers its perspective on a world order enforced by rent-a-cops.

What about the journalists at Picus - setting the world agenda because of their monopoly position? The emails you hacked where employees were bothered that they were manufacturing news rather than reporting on it?

What about the ending that asks whether you think the solution to a problem is shock therapy - full transparency - or whether you believe the masses can't be trusted to make good decisions if they knew the truth?

Honestly this game's themes are the most hard hitting I've played for at least a decade. The much hyped Spec Ops the Line is just 'OMG white phosphorus is so sad'.

Woah (man)!The game's main theme of transhumanism ie 'how much can technology be allowed to change us, before we no cease to be "human" has enough 'woah man' to last a 14 day UN symposium.
Oh there are plenty of themes that COULD have been interesting to explore. They did explore them but there just wasn't all that much depth to it, IMHO.

I don't know - I've read a lot of good science fiction along these lines. Maybe I'm expecting book-level depth from a 40-hour game, which is hardly fair.

Back
Top Bottom