Baldur's Gate Blathering

Lilura

Watchdog
If anyone's interested in a "review thing-a-mee" on the original Baldur's Gate (ie, not modded or run through Tutu, BGT or EE), you might like to read these two articles by me:
Baldur's Gate Blathering - Part I:
Contents: Introduction, Setting & Scope, Ruleset & Chargen, Basic Combat System, Perspective & UI, Experience & Treasure, Prologue, Initial Exploration & Encounters, Pathfinding, Ambushes & Waylays.

Baldur's Gate Blathering - Part II
Contents: Theft, Scouting & Backstabbing, Archery, Resting & Healing, Arcane Spells, Summoning Spells: Arcane & Divine, Wands

Coming Up: Companions, Tanking & Melee Combat, Potions, Quests & other stuff!

Interested in positive or negative feedback, comments and scathing criticisms encouraged! (here or on blog)

That's what I call a comprehensive review - thank you.

Thanks, HiddenX. I estimate perhaps a series of ten parts, all told. There's lots to cover, and I have lots to say.

Holy Mother of Jesus you are prolific. That is a lot of writing all ready. 10 parts? It is well written, and I enjoy your prose. I skimmed through some other articles on your site as well about NWN 1 and 2.

Since you are looking for criticism as well, let me ask what is the use of italicizing certain words, usually adjectives? I personally think it detracts from the writing.

Also, who is your audience? I may not be your target demographic because the only way I am reading that much is if its work related so I am being paid to, or if I am being forced to under duress. You cover each bullet thoroughly, but there may be too much?.

I’m pretty far from a professional writer, or having a ton of knowledge about writing, but I heard a couple of times from different sources that a big trick to writing is being concise. I can’t remember from where or whom but (I think) a famous writer was talking about his first story he got published, it got kicked back and he was told to remove half the words. He did and submitted again, it got kicked back and he was told the same thing again, and then they finally published it.

I’d be a big liar if I pretended to understand younger people these days since they do things I cannot understand such as watch people play videogames a lot, but if I had to guess I would say young people are less likely to read very long things.

If your audience is not young people or working people, it would have to be extremely patient people with enough time to read about an old video game in great detail who probably haven’t played the game before. That would be younger people who are unemployed and not searching for a job, but not young enough to be into this watching people play videogames craze. That leaves you with younger invalids and younger house wives/spouses who happen to be interested in old crpgs.

That doesn’t seem like a big market. But again, I’m older and the world makes no sense to me. I am regularly confused by most popular things.

Again, what you have is very comprehensive and well written. I enjoy your prose, I just humbly think everything could be tightened up with a less is more approach.

Hi there Unrestigered, and thanks so much for your feedback!

I'm semi-conscious of my over-use of italics in some of my writing, but sometimes I just can't help it. Is there a specific example of that in my two-part Blathering thing-a-mee? I thought I cut down…

Most of my audience seems to be people looking up specific or detailed info, but those who bother to comment seem to be for the most part modders and hardcore gamers (ie, people who know more than me.. and humble me).

I think my writing has improved by posting on the blog (for e.g, my MotB recounting is tons better than my previous HotU one, imo).

It's funny you mention the brevity thing (the soul of wit - Shakespeare?) as I wrote "For the sake of brevity…" and then ended up with three more paragraphs after that. I think I daydream as I write, so that might explain some of it. I'm also not a witty person by nature, and you can't cultivate it as it just comes off forced.

I know the focus of the blog is narrow and might only appeal to a very specific group, but I write just on what interests me personally and it pleases me that some enjoy reading what I write, even if it's overly detailed.

Your constructive and insightful criticisms are appreciated and I'll certainly take them onboard and give things a good think-over, thanks again!

Last edited:
I agree that it's elaborate, but honestly, I didn't mind. I like reading about games while I'm at work, when I can't actually be playing them. :)

I thought your first two parts of "blathering" were well written and well thought out. It might jump a bit back and forth between stuff, but I enjoyed reading it nonetheless. Well done.
I'll most likely read the next parts as well.

I'm currently playing BG:EE myself, by the way. I've never completed it (to my shame), as I got distracted during my first playthrough in Cloakwood forest. The EE offered a good enough excuse to restart and try again.

Hi wiretripped, and thanks for the compliment! :)

I fixed up my over-use of italics; it's funny how you can proof-read your own document a few times and not pick up on something so obvious that detracts from your writing - until it's pointed out to you by another.

Last edited:
Really enjoyable read so far, is making me want to start another playthrough which is long overdue as it must have been 10 years since i last played BG

Thanks guys!

In future posts I intend to cover:

-Tougher encounters (e.g, assassins, "boss fights", rival adventuring parties - my fave)
-Durlag's Tower (probably take up a few posts)
-Divine Spells (Druid & Cleric)
-Baldur's Gate city and sewers (exploration, quests etc.)
-Plot-critical path (storyline)
etc.

If there's anything else you'd like to see covered, lemme know and I'll consider it. :)

Let me do a BG guide too!

Chapter 1.

Half-elf Cleric/Ranger is the best everything.

And they all lived happily ever after.

Good read.

I've just entered the city of BG myself on my EE playthrough. Finally! Looking forward to exploring the place. :)
As far as difficulty goes, I have to say I never experienced any issues. But then again, I was probably level 5-6 before I started the Nashkel mines, having cleaned up all the "side areas".

Yeah, a few levels under your belt goes along way to being able to take a few kobold arrows...

EE is probably a lil' easier than the original, too; or, at least, I recall Tutu and BGT making the original easier (I have never tried EE).

e.g, Kits are majorly OP, increased range of divine and arcane spells, ability to assign High Mastery in chargen, player movement speed is faster, overworld waylays, on-rest respawns and fatigue are less of an issue, pathfinding is much-improved, there is a rest until healed option, you can turn down the difficulty for max hit dice on "level up" and 100% spell scribing etc.

I'm not really a fan of playing the original in the BG2 engine, but I have completed a few Tutu runs with SCS installed; it was fun for a change, so I can certainly see where you're coming from.

Nice just finished.

Back
Top Bottom