General News - FASA Studio Shuts Down

I will endeavour to keep an eye out for this one then.

Cyberstorm plays much like steel panthers if you have ever played it. It has a dynamic campaign (merceneries-style) in which you can choose the missions&equip the mechs yourself. In missions you can gather resources (requires harvesters), kill enemy mechs&vehicles&structures and fulfill mission objectives for which all you get money.

During the campaign there is plot advancement and lots of new tech to buy. You also get more mechs to control. There are both pilots and mechs to buy and modify. The turn-based battle is very good. Great animation and it has lots of tactical options built-into it (different planets,temperature,gravity,etc). There are many ways to fight battle depending on your gear and tactical situation. And its all singleplayer!

If you like turn-based mechs you really MUST get this game believe me. ;)

P.S the sequel is crap dont waste your time with it.

The Mech Commander games (I think those are the ones, the RTS versions) looked great, something with that degree of graphics development but in turn-based format on a hex grid is what I'd really, really like.

Mech commander was big disappointment. Especially when I tried to play it after the superb cyberstorm. After few missions I was totally bored. Its a pitiful excuse for a tactical mech game.

Well you've convinced me on Cyberstorm! Unfortunately a game that old isn't going to be easy to find, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

When you say you can gather resources, does that include scavenging off destroyed mechs?

Missionforce: Cyberstorm is one of my favorite TB strategy/tac games. I loved the story, as unobtrusive as it seemed at first, but it was introduced piecemeal via scraps of info and... suddenly you were sucked in. I loved the base, I loved the HERC animations, and I loved the Bioderms (yes, Cyberstorm is where they were introduced into the Earthsiege universe, in case you played Tribes 2 and wondered).
But do not, and I mean NOT, commit the error of trying to play the successor Cyberstorm: Corp Wars. While the game engine and battlfield graphics were exactly the same, Corp Wars lacked both in the atmosphere and gameplay departments: with an extremely unfair slant towards the AI even on easy difficulty and no furthering of any story whatsoever (perhaps a result of the many factions you could choose from in this game) it was impossible to finish... worse yet, play for more than two levels. I was greatly disappointed.
Really, I haven't heard of one person who finished it. Such a pity, the first game was a gem.

Back
Top Bottom