Galactic Insomnia - New Kickstarter

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A new sci-fi tactical squad game Galactic Insomnia has been kickstarted:

A Sci-fi turn-based tactical squad game, set in diverse worlds throughout the galaxy, inspired by genre classics:

Overview:
Galactic Insomnia is a classic turn-based tactical squad game for PCs (Windows, Linux, Mac) in which the player manages a group of agents, each of them having their own unique set of features, equipment, and individual personalities.

The player can choose from a series of missions that take place in various environments. These include both vibrant and elegant city landscapes as well as inhospitable deserts and the cold desolation of outer space.

We want to offer:
  • Compelling tactical combat
  • A diverse universe
  • Complex interactions between team characters
  • A story-driven campaign
  • Multiplayer mode
Game Universe
Galactic Insomnia is set in a world existing more than 500 years into the future. The advancement of technology, science and medicine has enabled human beings to expand across the whole galaxy, creating diverse cultures and societies, all of which have very complex relations among one and another.

Some groups shut themselves off from the rest of civilization, looking for a return to “the good old days”, while other groups remain in a state of commercial or ideological warfare between factions. The most developed societies have reached the heights of technological development, unlike those less competitive and ambitious who inadvertently make steps back in development.

Conflicts and misunderstandings between galactic communities are usually resolved by small dedicated groups of agents. These agents will often use radical means like bombings, kidnappings and sabotage. This approach allows them to avoid larger and much bloodier conflicts between mega-corporations that control the politics and trade in major areas of the known galaxy. Agents recruited by the player will actively participate in these dangerous games.

Gameplay:
Galactic Insomnia game-play has both tactical and strategic dimensions.

Tactical level – comprises the efficient use of all available means. Equipment, the mission geography plus the active and passive abilities.

Strategic level – covers team management and the team. The choice of agents and control of their development will prove more challenging as the game progresses.

Key features:

• Dozens of recruitable agents with individual personalities
  • Characters leveling with both statistical points and special abilities tree
  • Morale as an important factor in the combat statistics
  • Combat stances affecting both offensive and defensive stats
  • Characters gear: weaponry, armor, implants
  • Weapons with multiple firing modes and limited ammo
  • Additional senses (sound, electronic emission)
  • Destructible covers
  • Opponent flanking
  • Basic healing protects only against bleeding out
  • Personal and area forcefields
  • Intelligent drones and landmines
More information.

It could be good. The entry price is fairly low.

Their urban scenes just look modern though, rather than sci-fi-ish. I guess those are probably stock assets then?

For some reasons we have to have location styled for "old town" in the game :)
"A diverse universe" :)
Anyway, thanks for the kind words :)

Backed. But we're obviously the only ones??? To bad, I think this looks really interesting.

The problem might be, that there isn't really a hub for tactics enthusiasts.
Previously I was active on taktikzone.de but that page is pretty much dead.

Next best thing is Bear's Pit…will check if they already got a thread about it.

The Pitchvideo is also extremely bad though...I actually backed before I even saw the Pitch. If anything it took away some Buzz.
It's nice to see gameplay scenes, but while being alpha, they are too bright (which looks cheap) and the sounds could have used soome more oomph.

But most of all the pacing of the video is bad and it's missing a good narration. Instead of hype the pitch video makes you fall asleep.

The problem for this type of game is two-fold:

1) Turn-based tactical games have a very niche fanbase & their demands are often unreasonable.

2) There are just too many bad tactical turn-based games, so it's tough to get anyone's interest anymore.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within somehow broke through that barrier, probably because Firaxis was a moderately well-known company with advertising ability and XCOM has some franchise recognition.

Otherwise it's a tough go, and unfortunately I don't see $60k happening here.

Not sure how I missed this one. It looks like it has a lot of potential, and I like the XCOM vibe.

Sorry to hear the Kickstarter failed, but I'm glad it's been greenlighted.

I looked at the kickstarter and it looks like they were using assets from xcom.

Back
Top Bottom