The Witcher 2 - Roundup #7, Solutions to Issues

In this thread it's your post the most hysteric reaction, seem like you are over sensitive about non love comment about The Witcher 2.

Or - this is the other logical argument - you are already too much hardened.

Heart Of Stone, maybe ?

;)

Or - this is the other logical argument - you are already too much hardened.

Heart Of Stone, maybe ?

;)

Certainly but common it's sensibility at the wrong place, but I don't throw the rock, it can happens that's fine but I feel a little like a not sane the influence it can have, not on purpose, on younger souls. Lol yeah, not sure I believe myself because the truth is in deep I don't care, well let say the stone, not always but in this case. :)

This is frustrating and reassuring all at the same time. It's frustrating because the game is advertised as being 3d-Vision ready, and I was really looking forward to it because of that. I'm sure the actual 3D players are still few and far between, but asking someone to play the game in 2D when they are used to playing games in 3D is just not cool. Trust me, once you game with 3D vision, switching to 2D feels like going back in time to windows 95 gaming.

It's also reassuring to me, because it sounds like the extremely poor performance I'm getting (playing in 3D) is actually because it's buggy rather than just being too advanced for my system.

I hate to say it, but this really stinks of Gothic 3 syndrome - Extremely ambitious game, revolutionary concept, built from scratch in-house graphics engine. A total gem of a game that is nigh unplayable due to performance issues, etc…
The only thing left is for CDProjekt to come out and tell us 2 months from now that the engine they built is so buggered that it'll never work right, and the comparison will be complete.

Wow. I have no idea where your getting the Gothic 3 syndrome thing from. There's no comparison. It's a complex and complete game with very few bugs, and a good story line with a large amount of side quests.

By the way if you haven't played G3 lately you may want to give it a try. It's pretty good with the community patches.

In the Claws of Madness quest is bugged.
If you have nekker eyes/hearts in your inventory and decide to fool the specter, it will force you to use THOSE even if you go buy pigs eyes/hearts. Either that or it's bugged and the pigs eyes/hearts don't deceive him like the guide that came with the game says they should. If the 2nd thing is the case then the guide is bugged :p
I think as a few others that this is not a bug. I didn't stumble upon that issue as I solved that quest differently. No mercy. ;)

Troll Trouble quest (and therefore the Melitele Amulet quest) is bugged.
You can apparently only get the Troll's Head mounted on Sendler's wall if you do the Dice Poker chain up to unlocking the ability to play Sendler, but NOT playing him, THEN do the Troll Trouble quest up to being able to ask him about the head on his wall…THEN beating him at dice and choosing it as the reward. Friggin stupid and definitely needs to be fixed. I assume you can get the troll tongue needed for the cursed amulet you get from Newboy in the prologue. The only other way to get that tongue before leaving this area is by killing the drunk bridge troll…which kinda sucks.
That probably also isn't a bug. If you played the dice before this quest (as I did) you took another reward - there is no logic you get the second reward now. But it's a nice thing to know when you restart the game what's the right order of things. ;)

However there is another bug definetly. I won't use *spoiler* brackets as it's not a spoiler actually, but a hint. In a certain Chapter 2 quest you're supposed to be at the beach at 23:00. However I didn't follow steps literally (I skipped talking to a slut and still got moved forward with the quest) you need to be there at 22:00! If you come at 23:00 or later, nothing happens.
You'll again have to return to the beach later but the second time 23:00 works as it should. Just keep this in mind, when you stumble upon this quest, you'll know what am I talking about. ;)

In any case I didn't spot any critical bug yet not FPS problems or something others are talking about, so I don't know what is the patch about. :(

So you have to do quest, stuff and other things in the correct order now in Witcher 2?
In rpgs, I thought, it was up to the player to decide the order og things…

No. Most quest you do then you please.

I still can't get my dlc to download and install it just keeps looping.

The unresponsive combat really needs to be priority in my mind anytime I make more than 1 action (exp. roll then attack or attack then roll away or sign then attack, you get the idea) the second action aimost always needs to be pressed at least twice in order to work. When you are fighting 6 guys at once this is a bad thing.

Mapping keys in game would be nice.

I know this will never happen but how about different keys for different actions instead of 1 button doing several things. Several times while sneaking I have put a torch out and alerted the guard I was trying to stun.>:O

While were at it get rid of auto lock. keep a manual lock on.

and since i'm ranting now lets redo the inventory screen only showing - items at a time is annoying. I think all games should look at dao's inventory. Lots of items on the screen at once, easily sortable and mouse over gives you all the info you need and compares it to what you have. Neat and simple.

One last small thing why do we need to go into meditation to drink a potion. It's turned drinking a potion into a 30 sec. animation. Combats already too fast to stop and drink a potion in anyway so why?
Definitely agreed on the combat. It's not game-breakingly bad or anything, so far at least, but I really, really want to beat the crap out of whoever implemented the lock-on system. The number of fights that have gone to hell because I moved my mouse half a degree too far and Geralt tried to attack the guy behind my intended target is ridiculous.

I'd also like a way to compare what I'm looking at in the shop to what's currently equipped.

Personally, I think the combat system is one of the best action RPG systems ever. If not THE best.

I recently restarted the game after reaching chapter 2 - because I wanted to do a few things differently, and I wanted the "Strong Back" perk.

Very few games can get me to restart after 15+ hours in - and it's a great sign.

In any case, after restarting - I chose hard difficulty. I didn't die a SINGLE time during the prologue - where I died constantly on medium the first time.

THAT is how a great combat system works. You learn from your mistakes, and you master it eventually. I'm very comfortable with it now.

It's a fantastic system, really.

Personally, I think the combat system is one of the best action RPG systems ever. If not THE best.

I recently restarted the game after reaching chapter 2 - because I wanted to do a few things differently, and I wanted the "Strong Back" perk.

Very few games can get me to restart after 15+ hours in - and it's a great sign.

In any case, after restarting - I chose hard difficulty. I didn't die a SINGLE time during the prologue - where I died constantly on medium the first time.

THAT is how a great combat system works. You learn from your mistakes, and you master it eventually. I'm very comfortable with it now.

It's a fantastic system, really.

I agree that the combat "system" is good. It's when you hit a button and nothing happens so you have to hit it again. With combat this quick it needs to react just as quick when you hit the button. I think this has to be a bug that couldn't be part of the combat system.

Also, taking out the auto-targeting would not change the combat system and would alleviate much frustration for me at least.

It's a fantastic system, really.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the combat "system" is good. It's when you hit a button and nothing happens so you have to hit it again. With combat this quick it needs to react just as quick when you hit the button. I think this has to be a bug that couldn't be part of the combat system.

Also, taking out the auto-targeting would not change the combat system and would alleviate much frustration for me at least.

Without auto-target - the combat would change completely. How would the game know who you were aiming for and what you were trying to attack? You need a target system - and with a pure "lock-on" system, it would be impossible to move between targets so fluidly.

The current system isn't perfect, and I suppose they could tweak sensitivity a bit - but I don't see how removing auto-targeting would improve it. Quite the opposite.

What I would like, though, was for the target lock to stay on even when moving out of range.

Without auto-target - the combat would change completely. How would the game know who you were aiming for and what you were trying to attack? You need a target system - and with a pure "lock-on" system, it would be impossible to move between targets so fluidly.

The current system isn't perfect, and I suppose they could tweak sensitivity a bit - but I don't see how removing auto-targeting would improve it. Quite the opposite.

What I would like, though, was for the target lock to stay on even when moving out of range.

Many games don't have auto targeting you just hit the enemy that's in front of you. The problem with the auto targeting is if 2 enemies are in front of you. One in front of the other you will start hitting the closest one then without wanting to it will often switch to the one in back giving the one in front a few whacks at you before you can switch back.

That's the problem I have with the auto targeting anyway.

I do agree some system without target or auto target can works fine, but in DKS there's also auto target but didn't get much trouble. I think in DKS the auto target computing put in priority those in front. The trouble I had was more with long range and when trying to shoot something further than some other enemies.

Many games don't have auto targeting you just hit the enemy that's in front of you. The problem with the auto targeting is if 2 enemies are in front of you. One in front of the other you will start hitting the closest one then without wanting to it will often switch to the one in back giving the one in front a few whacks at you before you can switch back.

That's the problem I have with the auto targeting anyway.

I know what your problem is, and I'm just saying the combat system would change significantly without autotargeting.

The difference between The Witcher 2 and most similar games like Gothic, Risen, and Two Worlds - is that Geralt is extremely fast and agile.

The other games have autotargeting as well - but they don't "light up" with a cross to indicate melee attack targets in the same way. So, you'd just hit the enemy getting in the way instead - and you'd be frustrated with that. At least, I don't think it would be preferable - especially not when you can lock target when you're going for a specific foe.

TW2 is one of the few games that let all enemies attack simultaneously - and to make it workable to combat so many at a time - they had to employ some kind of autotargeting.

At least, I don't see it working any other way.

Once you get used to how it selects targets - you learn to maneuver and be comfortable with it.

At least, that's what I've learned.

Obviously, it's not for everyone - but for what it does, I think it's a fantastic system.

I can easily deal with accidentally targeting the wrong enemies, when I can get such a fluid and skill-dependent system in return. Also, it looks great :)

I know what your problem is, and I'm just saying the combat system would change significantly without autotargeting.

The difference between The Witcher 2 and most similar games like Gothic, Risen, and Two Worlds - is that Geralt is extremely fast and agile.

The other games have autotargeting as well - but they don't "light up" with a cross to indicate melee attack targets in the same way. So, you'd just hit the enemy getting in the way instead - and you'd be frustrated with that. At least, I don't think it would be preferable - especially not when you can lock target when you're going for a specific foe.

TW2 is one of the few games that let all enemies attack simultaneously - and to make it workable to combat so many at a time - they had to employ some kind of autotargeting.

At least, I don't see it working any other way.

Once you get used to how it selects targets - you learn to maneuver and be comfortable with it.

At least, that's what I've learned.

Obviously, it's not for everyone - but for what it does, I think it's a fantastic system.

I can easily deal with accidentally targeting the wrong enemies, when I can get such a fluid and skill-dependent system in return. Also, it looks great :)

Great, you get my point then. Well since I don't see it change I'll just get used to it.

Wow. I have no idea where your getting the Gothic 3 syndrome thing from. There's no comparison. It's a complex and complete game with very few bugs, and a good story line with a large amount of side quests.

By the way if you haven't played G3 lately you may want to give it a try. It's pretty good with the community patches.

How do you not get the comparison? Gothic 3 was also a complex and complete game (for its time). The expectation for both games was off the charts. Gothic 3 was supposed to be RPG of the year, as is TW2. The developers of both games made grandiose promises. Both developers created their own graphics engine.

And I'm sorry, but TW2 is very buggy. Maybe not the typical bugs that show up, but buggy nonetheless. Heck, it was two trips to the retailer, and three days scouring forums for a workaround just to get the game to install. That's not buggy? The fact that loads of people with high end systems are having significant performance problems isn't buggy? Gamers were told they would be able to play in glorious 3D, and now they are telling them to completely uninstall their 3D drivers, thus rendering their system incapable of playing other 3D games, and you're saying that's not buggy?

Like I said, if CDProjekt can't patch their game to get rid of the performance issues, then the comparison with Gothic 3 is spot on. If they can patch it, then everything's great and I'll gladly get on the GOTY bandwagon again.

It seems like a fantastic game. I am blown away by the cinematic presentation. It truly feels epic, just as the developers claimed. But when people spend hundreds of dollars on systems designed to run games like this, and then it takes them days just to get the game running, and then they still can't get past the prologue because the performance is so bad, I'd say the frustrations vented on these forums is appropriate.

@DAtagnan- Welcome to The Witcher fanclub. ;)

@Jabberwocky- Sorry to hear about your experience so far, but the majority of people aren't having those issues. Trying to compare it to Gothic 3 is ridiculous.

….And I'm sorry, but TW2 is very buggy….

I have not experienced any technical difficulties whatsoever, save for one CTD. The game runs almost flawlessly for me with the settings maxed, with the exception of a few extremely minor glitches that are nowhere near serious or intrusive. Basically, just because your rig has issues running the game doesn't mean at all that the engine or game itself is universally buggy. I've actually been very surprised by how few bugs there are, especially when comparing it to the day one release state of other large, ambitious games made by Bethesda or Obsidian, for example. In my experience, TW2 was released in a very solid state, and I highly doubt that I've just been "lucky" to not run into any issues. I hope that you will be able to run it without any problems soon though, and I'm sorry you have had issues with the game - that's never enjoyable.

No glaring bugs here either; in 30 hours of gaming thus far, I've had one outright crash and one lockup. Absolutely no comparison to Gothic 3 at launch.

While I do sympathize with people who can't get 3D to work right, I'm prone to blame Nvidia for some of the problems. Their drivers have gotten shoddy (and bloated) over the years to the point that I abandoned them for ATI.

Other than not being able to get the dlc no game breaking bugs and no crashes for me.

My main thing is the unresponsive combat. pushing buttons and nothing happening. I know i've mentioned it before but i'm wondering is everyone getting this or is it specific to my system.

Back
Top Bottom